What's the worst ever managerial record at Sheffield Wednesday ?

In my lifetime there's a fine line between four:

Danny Wilson - How he managed to get rid of Paulo Di Canio for such little money is beyond me! That was the start of a very slippery slope.

Chris Turner - Very almost had us relegated to the FOURTH tier of English football. Imagine that..... Sheffield Wednesday in Dividion 4!

Allan Irvine - Good god! For someone who had his coaching badges the bloke knew as good as nothing. How he has landed a Premier League job is truelly baffling.

Dave Jones - Yes, he got us promoted. What a run that was. But after that? He as to be the biggest disappointment of a manager ever for me. He took Cardiff to a FA Cup final. He took Wolves to the Premier League. He was a well established top end Championship manager. Then we lost eight in a row. Waited until November for our first win. We had no hope. We looked dead and burried. The life sucked out of the club. The only reason we stayed up was, thankfully, half the Championship were also incredibly poo poo that season.

In my lifetime there's a fine line between four:

Danny Wilson - How he managed to get rid of Paulo Di Canio for such little money is beyond me! That was the start of a very slippery slope.

Chris Turner - Very almost had us relegated to the FOURTH tier of English football. Imagine that..... Sheffield Wednesday in Dividion 4!

Allan Irvine - Good god! For someone who had his coaching badges the bloke knew as good as nothing. How he has landed a Premier League job is truelly baffling.

Dave Jones - Yes, he got us promoted. What a run that was. But after that? He as to be the biggest disappointment of a manager ever for me. He took Cardiff to a FA Cup final. He took Wolves to the Premier League. He was a well established top end Championship manager. Then we lost eight in a row. Waited until November for our first win. We had no hope. We looked dead and burried. The life sucked out of the club. The only reason we stayed up was, thankfully, half the Championship were also incredibly poo poo that season.

Jones can't be one of the worst managers ever? He took us up and kept us up. Jones tried to be clever with signings in the championship by taking chances on young players like McCabe and Corry and also adding foreign players in the hope that we could achieve something doing it differently we could never complete with the top teams in that league so had to do it differently. Some of my best memories in the last 10 years come from Dave Jones and although it backfired on him his last season I'm this is ridiculous he can't be classes as one of the worst ever?

Turner and Irvine are the worst for me.

I think Pleat is getting off very lightly in this thread, may not be the worst but is certainly up there with the Irvine's and Peter Useless of this world for different reasons.

IMO he is the guy who started the rot. He had a war chest and look who he brought in. That initial crazy investment to redevelop the stadium and pump into the first team to get into Europe (Charter house?) And he replaces John Sheridan with Andy Sinton. WTF?

He got rid of players like Waddle and Pearson and anyone else who might have been linked with the managers position and brought in a bunch of over paid no hopers. As bad as Wilson was, he was dealing with premadonnas and was out of his depth from the start.

Jones can't be one of the worst managers ever? He took us up and kept us up. Jones tried to be clever with signings in the championship by taking chances on young players like McCabe and Corry and also adding foreign players in the hope that we could achieve something doing it differently we could never complete with the top teams in that league so had to do it differently. Some of my best memories in the last 10 years come from Dave Jones and although it backfired on him his last season I'm this is ridiculous he can't be classes as one of the worst ever?

Turner and Irvine are the worst for me.

He may have improved our position, but in terms of morale at the club, I haven't seen anyone destroy it so bad in all my life!

The jubilation of beating the Blades at ours. Them giving the whole 'Five points clear, Two games in hand, we can afford to lose this derby' poo . Megson had the players playing for the shirt. Then was sacked. We went on an incredible run and the morale was at an all time high when we pipped them to promotion.

New season, and a new wave of optimism amongst the Wednesday faithful. Off the back of the promotion, thinking we'll start off well and push for a decent league position. No. The morale sponge struck and sponged the life out of  the entire fanbase.

I think Pleat is getting off very lightly in this thread, may not be the worst but is certainly up there with the Irvine's and Peter Useless of this world for different reasons.

IMO he is the guy who started the rot. He had a war chest and look who he brought in. That initial crazy investment to redevelop the stadium and pump into the first team to get into Europe (Charter house?) And he replaces John Sheridan with Andy Sinton. WTF?

He got rid of players like Waddle and Pearson and anyone else who might have been linked with the managers position and brought in a bunch of over paid no hopers. As bad as Wilson was, he was dealing with premadonnas and was out of his depth from the start.

Don't get me started on that waste of snap, just behind Eustace and Irvine for me in being w@nk.

In fact when I think about it, in my time watching Wednesday I can only say that Big Jack, Sgt Wilko and Big Ron were the ones who were any good, all the rest are a bit meh.

Francis bought Sinton.

He may have improved our position, but in terms of morale at the club, I haven't seen anyone destroy it so bad in all my life!

The jubilation of beating the Blades at ours. Them giving the whole 'Five points clear, Two games in hand, we can afford to lose this derby' poo . Megson had the players playing for the shirt. Then was sacked. We went on an incredible run and the morale was at an all time high when we pipped them to promotion.

New season, and a new wave of optimism amongst the Wednesday faithful. Off the back of the promotion, thinking we'll start off well and push for a decent league position. No. The morale sponge struck and sponged the life out of the entire fanbase.

Still can't agree. Megsons players weren't playing for him the week before when we got beat by Chesterfield and Stevenage. Jones was a major factor in us going up. He then kept us up the next season. I don't feel he sucked the life out of the club, and the players were playing for him, agreed it was right for him to go when he did but be realistic he wasn't one of the worst managers we've ever had.

Pleat, came as a supposed top manager and destroyed the club. Wasted money on over priced and overpaid players. Then the rot set in.

When he became a TV pundit I wanted to put my fist through the tele every time he spoke. Red rag to a bull.

Jones was OK at first but when we got promoted he tried to replace the whole team rather than keeping the side together and changing players for better quality over time. Team spirit would have kept us up with just a few good additions even though a lot of the players were distinctly L1 standard.

Francis bought Sinton.

And he got rid of Pearson. 

Guest bulkoowl

Still can't agree. Megsons players weren't playing for him the week before when we got beat by Chesterfield and Stevenage. Jones was a major factor in us going up. He then kept us up the next season. I don't feel he sucked the life out of the club, and the players were playing for him, agreed it was right for him to go when he did but be realistic he wasn't one of the worst managers we've ever had.

Totaly agree every one forgets how bad we were at chesterfield the week before stevenage was shocking only 2nd time i left early from a away match other was reading (6:0). but i always remember useless Eustace in 88 against manure when he jumped out of the dug out to throw the ballfor a throw in  and getting booing from around the ground if i  remember lost again 2:1 mclair 2 hirst 1

Guest Brian Yarnall

The worst Wednesday manager of all time for me must be DANNY WILLIAMS because he managed to sell good 1st division players and replace them with dross from the lower leagues all this at the time we were a decent team in the league. What happened next everybody knows.