What's the worst ever managerial record at Sheffield Wednesday ?

Statistically, Bill Green. Played 1, lost 1.

From an entertainment point of view, Alan Irvine. Coming home from work and heading back out for winters nights midweek home games in front of 15,000 was like having diarrhoea, when faced with a locked toilet door and only a rubber band to pick the lock.

Statistically, Bill Green. Played 1, lost 1.

From an entertainment point of view, Alan Irvine. Coming home from work and heading back out for winters nights midweek home games in front of 15,000 was like having diarrhoea, when faced with a locked toilet door and only a rubber band to pick the lock.

you was lucky .... should have tried coming home and going out back out to stand on a uncovered kop with 10k in 55k capacity ground watching a team that scored 3 goals in 21 games .

Guest minsk owl

you was lucky .... should have tried coming home and going out back out to stand on a uncovered kop with 10k in 55k capacity ground watching a team that scored 3 goals in 21 games .

Spot on !

Would assume that statistically, over say more than 20 games, it is probably Jewell.

Weren't we in the bottom 3 when he went. He only had one run and it was a run in which we were at the very bottom of the league.

All the other managers mentioned in the thread had a run with the team where they weren't in the bottom 3 and therefore must have better overall records. Whilst most were sacked when we were in the bottom 3, they all managed a finish out of the bottom 3 aswell, Jewell never did that as he wasn't here long enough.

Not counting anyone in "temporary charge". There is only one candidate for me

STEVE BURTENSHAW

2 goals and no wins after 28/12/1974.First ever visit to 3rd tier of English football

There have been some shockers since 2000, but all these came at a club with a potentially terminal illness, although one or 2 did have the funds to get us out of a mess and made it worse. ALAN IRVINE takes the recent plaudits.

Strange as it may seem, although LEN ASHURST left us rooted to the bottom of the 3rd division when he left in 1977, he had stopped the runaway train as it was and laid a few foundations for Jack Charlton to build on.

BTW if you insist on including temps, then KEN KNIGHTON has to be the most successful manager ever. Played 1 won 1 .Chesterfield home 1-0 in 77 after Ashurst left and before Big Jack came in

Not counting anyone in "temporary charge". There is only one candidate for me

STEVE BURTENSHAW

2 goals and no wins after 28/12/1974.First ever visit to 3rd tier of English football

There have been some shockers since 2000, but all these came at a club with a potentially terminal illness, although one or 2 did have the funds to get us out of a mess and made it worse. ALAN IRVINE takes the recent plaudits.

Strange as it may seem, although LEN ASHURST left us rooted to the bottom of the 3rd division when he left in 1977, he had stopped the runaway train as it was and laid a few foundations for Jack Charlton to build on.

BTW if you insist on including temps, then KEN KNIGHTON has to be the most successful manager ever. Played 1 won 1 .Chesterfield home 1-0 in 77 after Ashurst left and before Big Jack came in

This

Has to be Burtenshaw, just ahead of Williams

He had us relegated by the first of April in the midst of a run of over eight games in which we didn't score a single goal

You young un's don't know your born

throw up between danny "we´ve only got 6 good players" williams and steve burtenshaw.....i´d have to plump for williams for him to say that and then sell 3 of them wernt a good move .

I concur.  Worst manager in my lifetime.

Guest minsk owl

Has to be Steve Burtenshaw from me too,he got a further crack in management after leaving us 3 years later at QPR and resigned having got them relegated saying "maybe im not cut out for football management" MASSIVE understatement!

This ! ..... and as a final swansong, managed to sneak back in at Arsenal , and then the bung jobby with Jensen

Edited by minsk owl