What's the worst ever managerial record at Sheffield Wednesday ?

Which manager has the worst managerial record at Sheffield Wednesday of all time ?

Could it be Mark Smith ?

Mark Smith linked up with his boyhood heroes Sheffield Wednesday, being appointed Academy under-19 coach on 1 July 2003.

Following the departure of manager Chris Turner in September 2004, Smith was placed in temporary charge with Chris Marsden as his assistant; Smith declared it an honour to have the opportunity to manage the club he had both supported and played for.

He presided over a 1–0 League Cup defeat to Coventry City on 22 September 2004 before reverting to his previous role following the appointment of Paul Sturrock as manager

Owlstalk Shop

Guest Deleted member

Times I have fallen asleep at Hillsborough watching a game: 4

Manager in position all 4 times: Alan Irvine

Worst manager in my lifetime.

A manager can't be judged by numbers alone; the context in which he managed must also be taken in to account.

Alan Irvine managed us in(to) League 1, where defenders turn slower than milk and anyone with even a modicum of skill stands out like a sore thumb. He had a competitive squad for the level we were at and was given a decent amount to spend, too. Given these factors, the tepid, negative football he had us playing was breathtakingly awful at times. How he managed to convince our players that Stevenage, Carlisle and Peterborough were as good as Real Madrid, I'll never know, but for sucking all the fun out out of being a Wednesday fan, Alan Irvine is the worst Wednesday manager I've lived through.

Pleat was crap, why we ever let him manage us i'll never know

Wilson started the slump we've never recovered from

Turner was even more clueless than yorath and shreeves etc

Irvine was a joke appointment

Jones was a fanny, hated him with a passion and Gray has shown what a useless arrogant big headed tw@ he was

Can only really judge permanent Manager's, has to be Steve Burtenshaw in the 70s.

I think we only won 4 games under him in a full season.

Recently Irvine, Jones, Wilson, Pleat, Eustace all crap.

Oh for the halcyon days of Trevor Francis, beautiful football and the God Waddle.

Can only really judge permanent Manager's, has to be Steve Burtenshaw in the 70s.

I think we only won 4 games under him in a full season.

Recently Irvine, Jones, Wilson, Pleat, Eustace all crap.

Oh for the halcyon days of Trevor Francis, beautiful football and the God Waddle.

I'm sure Burtenshaw took over just after Dooley was sacked on Christmas Eve in 1973 and left around September 1975.

Did ok at first but soon went on a bad run and we lost 8-0 at Middlesborough second to last game of season leaving us needing a win against Bolton in last game.

Ken Knighton scored in last few minutes to save us. 

Following season was a disaster, won a few games early in season but lost everyone bar one in second half of season.

Our first ever season in old 3rd division didn't get off to a great start and Burtenshaw was soon replaced by Len Ashurst who wasn't a bad manager.

Edited by bradowl