Westwood/Springett

Guest Distraught!

I am not really interested in who is best. I am more interested in how a guy of his ability ends up on a free transfer then ends up signing for us. My suspicions are that there must be weaknesses in his game or neither of these things would have happened. Maybe it is wise to wait a little longer before going over the top with praise.

we all have opinions and i could say pressy wouldnt have let that one in against watford last week ......westwood as been brilliant for us no doubt about that but to say that about pressman when he´s played over 500 games for us, a lot at a higher level than westwood as played at is a brave /daft statement .

did u kno Lee is better than Whelan

I expect the supposed takeover may have helped his transfer, and imagine a get out clause hat allows him to speak to a premier league club was also a stipulation.

He will go for between 1 and 2 million, when comparable clubs would somehow squeeze about 4million from it.

this, thats why we are keeping kirkland who is possibly one of our highest paid players, shame

Springer had a better defence in front of him.

That's no argument at all. Gary Sprake played behind the best defence in the country, at the time, and is possibly the worst keeper to have played in the top flight since I started watching football. Not sure how many times Scram has seen Westwood play this season, but I don't recall Pressman ever playing as well, as consistently, as Westwood has thus far. Before we can compare though,we need to see how Westwood performs over a couple of seasons. I did say yesterday, that in my opinion Westwood looks like being the best keeper we've had since Ron Springett, if he maintains his current form.

What's more worrying is why Westwood is having to pull off all these wonder saves and keep us in games. God help us if he gets injury or a big offer comes in, we'll be losing 3 and 4 nil each week. 

Can see us selling him and and buying St Johnsone's midfield just to help May settle in  ;-)

Pressman was better

assume this got negged by younger fans   pressman imo was a very very good underated keeper who got done by a striker going in late on him

bit unfair to compare with westwood yet so i wont do it but if he gives us as many years solid service i'll be happy

I don't know exactly how many managers Pressman played under but quite a few dropped him and brought other keepers in, Turner, Woods, Hodge etc. Suggests he was too inconsistent for them. Still a good keeper though and it's still hard to believe he never warranted a testimonial for all his services to Wednesday.

Springett was by far the best we've had but Westwood will run him close if he stays long enough. If he hadn't had the one bad game he had against France i don't believe Gordan Banks would have got anywhere near as many caps as he did. 

Selective memory?

Hodge and Turner preceded Pressy while Woods was Englands keeper when he was signed (and continued to be so)

I understand that the here and now is all football fans generally think about - but Pressman was a brilliant keeper for us - better than Carson, Grant, Turner and yes, Westwood

When Weestwood turns in consistently high performances in the premier then lets re-evaluate

To be honest we've had some great keepers over the years and it's always difficult to say who was better than who.....Westwood is certainly in the top notch category though along with Hodge, Pressman and dare I say, all be it over a much smaller term, Iain Turner.....I'm staggered he's ended up in the lower leagues and not even as first choice at that!

Have a word... Pressman consistently performed over 400+ games for us , not anytime soon can we compare Westwood with him

Having a good season so far i agree ... But Pressman was on a totally different level to him