Drenthe on the bench again

Guest s11 owl

I asked him before the game if he was starting, he said no, i said why not, he said i spoke to the gaffer yesterday, he said i'm getting close, i want to keep you hungry.

gasteric band?

deserves a start at least he can cross a ball which adds another dimension to our attacking play

why does he deserve a start trev .....i like you dont get too often but saw him at birmingham and in the televised games that i have seen . having seen him play over here in spain for hercules (he was useless) nothing i have seen since tells me he any better since he came to us .there´s reason that hercules,everton, the russian club he played for and reading dont want him ,its probably the same reason that real madrid fans gave him so much stick .....he ´s a show pony who i´m sure one game will score a worldy like esajas or blinker did but in reality he´s a waste of space .

What does he have to do to get a start?

easy answer to this is learning to put the right length studs in his boots.

spent more time slipping over than he did on his feet today.

also if you want to showboat don't lose the ball 5 seconds after

other than that I can't find a viable reason why he shouldn't start

why does he deserve a start trev .....i like you dont get too often but saw him at birmingham and in the televised games that i have seen . having seen him play over here in spain for hercules (he was useless) nothing i have seen since tells me he any better since he came to us .there´s reason that hercules,everton, the russian club he played for and reading dont want him ,its probably the same reason that real madrid fans gave him so much stick .....he ´s a show pony who i´m sure one game will score a worldy like esajas or blinker did but in reality he´s a waste of space .

sorry for not answering internets been down ,only from what iv'e heard from the lads on W player and he did well against Watford at least he has a go and gets the crosses in , mebe could provide something different to what we have is all

You make some valid points mate. I do think he is a trick pony in football terms, but he is talented. I thought he did well at Hercules ? Was that not the case ?

I think Gray doesn't play Drenthe because he wants him to track back and do his part defending. Gray plays 4-4-2 and that leaves a load of gaps in the centre of the park, so that is why he likes everyone to defend or as he say's " defend from the front. Drenthe is aa strange one. You don't sign for Real Madrid for 14 million euros if your crap. He does show boat, but he has got talent. His balance on the ball (when not falling over) is very good, he can cross a ball an can be entertaining. I am unsure whether Drenthe was a talent who's personality and attitude messed up his career or that he is a one trick pony that was found out and has never been the same. Put it this way, we haven't had anyone as skillful at the club in a long time, maybe back to Di Canio and Carbone.

You make some valid points mate. I do think he is a trick pony in football terms, but he is talented. I thought he did well at Hercules ? Was that not the case ?

he did start off ok but once the team struggled he seemed to think he was better than the rest of them and the games i saw he stood about looking totally disinterested .the fans didnt like him and he fell out with the club and turned up late after the christmas break and it all went downhill from there ...he does have talent/ability when he´s at his fighting weight but he cant seem to harness it into how the clubs he plays for want him to play and when you chuck in he´s probably a good deal overweight i cant see how anyone can see him as viable alternative to what we already have .

If you want an answer to the question, just listen to Gray's post match interview. He said he brought Drenthe on against Norwich, and after twenty five minutes, he was "blowing". Until he's physically able to play ninety minutes there's no way he's going to start a game.

If you want an answer to the question, just listen to Gray's post match interview. He said he brought Drenthe on against Norwich, and after twenty five minutes, he was "blowing". Until he's physically able to play ninety minutes there's no way he's going to start a game.

This 100%.

As much as I would like him start, he's not going to last longer than 45 minutes.  This is the thing with loan players coming to us, they are going to be pretty unfit and lightly overweight.  

As Drenthe get more match fitness he will get more game time.

he did start off ok but once the team struggled he seemed to think he was better than the rest of them and the games i saw he stood about looking totally disinterested .the fans didnt like him and he fell out with the club and turned up late after the christmas break and it all went downhill from there ...he does have talent/ability when he´s at his fighting weight but he cant seem to harness it into how the clubs he plays for want him to play and when you chuck in he´s probably a good deal overweight i cant see how anyone can see him as viable alternative to what we already have .

He sounds like he has left every club he has been at in a bad way. I think his attitude has certainly contributed to him moving around and not consolidating his talent. I so want Drenthe to work out, but that is my heart talking and my head say's that he will do at Wednesday what he did at all the other clubs. He does seem a lot overweight and you could understand if he had fallen foul of one or even two clubs or managers, but he seems to have fallen foul of them all. He will no doubt give flashes of brilliance, but when i asked you about his experience at Hercules, i half expected you to say what you have done. I think he will continue to play bit parts, not reach full fitness, still be overweight and go back to Reading in january. Shame really.