Maguire, Maghoma and Drenthe

1st time I saw drenthe was at Brentford and he wasn't on long enough for me to form an opinion.

His attitude looked stinky though. He couldn't wait to get off at the end where as most players came over

would you be happy with 6 minuits it was a token gesture by gray he should have been on at the start he earned it the week before ,we only came alive when he came on ,

For me it would be the following...when everyone is fit.

Westwood

Buxton Lees Loovens Mattock

Hutchinson Lee

May/Maghoma Maguire Drenthe

Nuhiu

It's a flip of a coin between May or Maghoma for the right hand berth.

Watford showed on Saturday that having two lively front men in Vydra and Forrestieri playing off someone who holds the ball up in Ighale (or Deeney when fit) has real potential.

how anyone can say leave may out and play drenthe is beyond me ........our strength is our defensive record where all eleven defend all over the pitch its what makes us competative ,from what i know and have seen of drenthe i doubt he has the work ethic to do that .

how anyone can say leave may out and play drenthe is beyond me ........our strength is our defensive record where all eleven defend all over the pitch its what makes us competative ,from what i know and have seen of drenthe i doubt he has the work ethic to do that .

That might be a concern with Drenthe, I haven't really seen enough of him to say either way. He did look the only one who could make things happen when he came on against Watford, but that 45 mins is the only significant run out I've seen. With you on May's work ethic, in fact all three of our strikers cannot be faulted for their defensive work. It's in their day job where they fall short, with all three looking not quite up to it at this level. As I've said before though, they do have time on their side, all are relatively young and should get better.

Yep. 4-2-3-1 may best suit our current options.

I have suggested this quite a few times on here.

Gray has gone down a different path. He wants two forwards whose role includes, among other things, hassling defenders and "defending from the front". It is a key component of the playing style which gives us stability and solidity and (most of the time, against most teams in the division) makes us very hard to beat. With two up front and some supply from the wings or through the middle we should be an attacking threat too. Unfortunately neither of our front men has electric pace (so we can't exploit through balls or balls over the top against a high line) and the supply from midfield has been patchy.

Your suggestion would risk throwing the baby out with the bathwater. We risk losing our solidity and still not delivering enough goal threat.

I would stick with the existing formation but find ways to improve supply to the front men, create more chances. May needs to get enough chances to start sticking some away rather than hitting the post or getting his shots blocked all the time. Once he gets his eye in, with more and better crosses/knock downs from Nuhiu, he will start banging them away.

I have suggested this quite a few times on here.

Gray has gone down a different path. He wants two forwards whose role includes, among other things, hassling defenders and "defending from the front". It is a key component of the playing style which gives us stability and solidity and (most of the time, against most teams in the division) makes us very hard to beat. With two up front and some supply from the wings or through the middle we should be an attacking threat too. Unfortunately neither of our front men has electric pace (so we can't exploit through balls or balls over the top against a high line) and the supply from midfield has been patchy.

Your suggestion would risk throwing the baby out with the bathwater. We risk losing our solidity and still not delivering enough goal threat.

I would stick with the existing formation but find ways to improve supply to the front men, create more chances. May needs to get enough chances to start sticking some away rather than hitting the post or getting his shots blocked all the time. Once he gets his eye in, with more and better crosses/knock downs from Nuhiu, he will start banging them away.

Unless we can get a striker in who actually worries the opposition, I don't see how we can stick with this system. It never looks like delivering goals and puts a lot of pressure on those operating in midfield. Now Hutch is missing, we have Semedo who can do a pretty decent job sitting in front of the back four. He can't however, be relied on to venture further forward. This puts a lot of pressure on Lee, who will generally be outnumbered in midfield. This means the wide players having to tuck in more than they might like and the front two having to track back and help the midfield out