Maguire, Maghoma and Drenthe

At a time when we are all bemoaning the lack of creativity, are we just not utilising our resources properly? That trio, in the attacking midfield positions, and given licence to interchange, should be good enough to cause most teams problems. All three can shoot and all three could go through the middle or wide if needed, although, if we have two sitting midfielders, then it will be the full backs who provide the width. I feel the solution to our creative problems is staring us in the face. Key to this though, will be the arrival of a quality experienced forward, but it's more realistic than thinking we're gonna bring in a striker, a midfield player and a winger

In our current 442 system, all three of those players can appear peripheral stuck out on the wing, and it leaves us short of bodies in the middle. At the moment I feel, we have three strikers who are not yet good enough to cause defences problems consistently, whichever pairing we come up with. That is by no means writing them off, it's just at this stage, trying to accommodate two of them, means that we are not getting the best out of the players we have.

as said In an other thread, I would start maghoma on the right wing with him being right footed, drenthe on the left wing and maguire upfront with Nuhiu

Helan is already left back and if drenthe is there as well they can over lap, also I think drenthe has played a few games at left back just like helan so I'm sure switching them around would help too.

Guest Retfordowl74

1st time I saw drenthe was at Brentford and he wasn't on long enough for me to form an opinion.

His attitude looked stinky though. He couldn't wait to get off at the end where as most players came over

Finding a way to get all 3 In the side at once would help but not sure how.

5 man midfield with one behind strikers or maybe Maguire playing off Nuhiu.But then I'm a fan of May and couldn't really drop him.

But if we played to feet could May do the job as the lone striker.

I posted this yesterday in the Coke thread:

Palmer-----Lees----Loovens----Mattock

---------Lee------------Coke-----------------

Maguire------Maghoma--------Drenthe

---------------------Nuhiu----------------

I think Nuhiu would hold it up well and bring the other three in to play to cause some damage.

Westwood

Palmer  Lees Loevens Helan

Maguire  Lee Semedo Drenthe

Nuhiu  May

Westwood

Palmer  Lees Loovens Helan

Maguire  Lee Semedo Drenthe

Nuhiu  May

I agree. We need all three on the pitch at the same time, and I'd rather see Nuhiu up there than May.

We'd need two in central midfield, with either one sitting and one box-to-box or both sharing those responsibilities. Hutchinson and Lee would be the obvious pairing there if fit, but as that's not going to happen very often, Coke and Palmer would be next in line for me.

I'd be delighted if we started with tomhollywood's XI against Nowich  (Helan in for Mattock with him being unavailable)

I think Nuhiu would hold it up well and bring the other three in to play to cause some damage.

I could see this working - just whether we play Coke or Semedo

Agree, perhaps not the most likely source of goals, although he is currently our top scorer, but definitely the best we have to operate in the lone striker role. In truth, I'm hoping this new signing could fulfil that role, with our existing strikers offering options from the bench

It could result in more goals for us but it could also result in us shipping loads of goals.

Our decent start is down to our strong defence and lack of goals conceded, whilst I agree we need more up front I would hate to see that good defensive work go to waste.

Would much rather see two good quality players added to the current team, that's what's required and has been all season, over to you MM.

I agree.....................

4-4-2 is too limiting and it's Gray's default formation. If the opposition plays three in midfield, then we are over ran all too easily. We struggle to get hold of the ball and often fail to supply the strikers with enough opportunities. It's why Gray insists that the team all defend and attack together, because 4-4-2 leaves too many gaps that need to filled in the centre of the park. I think Gray also likes to play with two strikers and a formation where you have two holding midfielders doesn't allow for that. the ideal system would be 4-2-3-1, with Semedo and Lee playing in front of the back four, an attacking midfield of Drenthe, Maguire and Maghoma, with May up front or Nuhui if you have to hold the ball up. 4-4-2 isn't working and it doesn't suit the players we have. We should also have a rotational system where by players can change position with each other and still keep the same shape. Lastly we should adopt the Louis Van Gaul approach and also that of Glen Hoddle, where the formation changes slightly dependant upon where the action is on the pitch. Am example for the 4-2-3-1 system would be Maguire dropping back into a deep midfield poistion when the opposition is attacking and then moving up and supporting May when we are in the attacking position. Just an idea lol :-)