Alan Biggs: Chris O’Grady could provide the goals Sheffield Wednesday crave

Whether there would be any interest from Stuart Gray, I know not. He is currently after a Premier League striker. But there was an interesting debate on Twitter when I mentioned that former Owl Chris O’Grady might be available on loan from Brighton.

It was 50-50, near as damn it, on whether fans welcome him back.

I don’t have a casting vote, but if I did I’d go “for” rather than “against.”

And why would that be after O’Grady’s failure to score in nine appearances at Brighton, who substituted him at Huddersfield in midweek?

Firstly, his highly creditable 15 goals for relegated Barnsley last season.

Second, the appreciation of most - I am convinced - Wednesday supporters during his embattled spell with the club.

Further, chairman Milan Mandaric’s admission on these pages that Wednesday “might have made a mistake” over his sale and the fact that Gray has turned over a new leaf from Dave Jones.

Whatever, it is clear amid a struggle for goals that a striker is a necessary addition. Some argue O’Grady (a Blades target in the summer and maybe again for all we know) is no better than

a Nuhiu or a Madine. I’d say at least on a par overall. And wouldn’t you welcome that sort of competition?

NNNNNOOOOOOO thank you Alan !!!!

http://www.sheffieldtelegraph.co.uk/news/columnists/alan-biggs-chris-o-grady-could-provide-the-goals-sheffield-wednesday-crave-1-6911922

Edited by paddyowl

He was okay and nothing more than that,  he tried hard and chipped in with a few, but he's not a goalscorer any more than the players we currently have

I do love Biggsy though,  his ability to make an article out of absolutely nothing is consistently impressive

Would be just another average striker added to our roster of average strikers. Let's not kid ourselves, realistically we need 2-3 new players, but that ain't gonna happen. The least we need is, the one we might get, has to be considerably better than those we already have