Necessary change = Maghoma central?

Guest JonTheOwl66

playing out wide in a 4-4-2 you are very much part of that midfield battle. It requires just as much discipline and workrate as the central midfielders. You have to get up the pitch to support the attacking play, get back in defence, press their full back when he has position, track their midfielder or their full back when they are attacking. Tuck inside when they have possesion on the opposite flank...get out wide and forward when we have posession etc.

All things Maghoma fails to do.

I would try a 5 man midfield with Maghoma in behind a lone striker (May)

Westwood

Helan (Mattock suspended)

Lees

Loovens

Palmer

Semedo

Lee

Drenthe

Maghoma

Maguire

May

Obviously with Mattock back, you could have Helan left then Maguire/Drenthe on the right. Bring a bit of a fear factor in with 3 players in midfield running at the defence at pace, with the dynamic runs of May, who hasn't been rewarded for said runs to date.

He's not a central midfielder ffs, no where near disciplined enough to fill this role.

Wouldn't need to be, he could be the advanced player in a 3 with Lee and Semedo. No10 role behind May, personally think Drenthe would play the role better though but Maghoma is wasted on the wing.

It's a good idea, I'd like to see it.

BUT

In place of who and in what formation? Because in a 4-4-2 your either drop Lee or scarier still we drop semi.

Personally a 4-5-1 with...

Maguire.......Maghoma.......Drenthe

.....................May

That is genuinely frightening, in a good way.

I would try a 5 man midfield with Maghoma in behind a lone striker (May)

Westwood

Helan (Mattock suspended)

Lees

Loovens

Palmer

Semedo

Lee

Drenthe

Maghoma

Maguire

May

Obviously with Mattock back, you could have Helan left then Maguire/Drenthe on the right. Bring a bit of a fear factor in with 3 players in midfield running at the defence at pace, with the dynamic runs of May, who hasn't been rewarded for said runs to date.

This will be my line up for footie manager lol

Why do people persist with the idea of trying to find different roles for Maghoma to play?

What makes them think he could suceed in a central midfield role that requires so much more discipline and workrate than his current role. He can't hack it in his natural position of out wide or up front so god help him in a midfield battle.

Because I've seen with my own two eyes him make some very promising contributions from that position. It's really not so far-fetched to then ask the question of whether he could perform in the role from the start of the game.

I mentioned this in a post awhile ago, and still believe that he can be way more effective playing in a more central role. There are a few that have done it recently, Sterling, Di Marie. All have gone into a more central role and been able to affect the game more

When Mags in on the wing, he is too slow with the ball. Having too many extra touches, constantly wanting to cut back inside, not delivering any crosses

Put him in a central role in a 3 man midfield and he has the ability to go either way and really drive at the defence

Definitely worth a go, just not sure whether Gray will do it or not...

He's a right footed player being asked to play on the left week in week out - hence why he does nothing but cut inside everytime he gets near the box.

I will continue to maintain that there is NO excuse for a player at this level to be so one-footed. What are such players doing in training all week, for several years? Especially when like Maghoma they are being used like this. Don't they have any pride, dedication or intelligence? I only ever played at a humble level, but I practiced to make sure I could use my weaker foot to a decent degree.

No, that's not what I'm saying. I'm saying it encourages him to.

We then have two options down that wing. Mattock can out a neat ball in while Maghoma can cut in and play through the middle instead.

Maghoma cutting in creates space and potential overloading on the left hand side.

While that is happening who is covering the left back spot??.

I disagree, he may be technically good but as for what he actually brings to the side I don't think it's much at all.

He doesn't have a position to me he is NOT a cm even in a 3 he doesn't have the skills or work ethic he's too slow on the ball.

Also as a winger he doesn't beat a man nor offer an option to Mattock.

To me he is a good League one player. For us the best thing we can do with him IMO is use him as a sub when the opponents are tired and he has that bit more time on the ball. Drenthe far superior

Would like to see him behind the striker and making runs forward in front of the striker with 2 proper wingers and 2 hard working central midfield players

This.

I disagree, he may be technically good but as for what he actually brings to the side I don't think it's much at all.

He doesn't have a position to me he is NOT a cm even in a 3 he doesn't have the skills or work ethic he's too slow on the ball.

Also as a winger he doesn't beat a man nor offer an option to Mattock.

To me he is a good League one player. For us the best thing we can do with him IMO is use him as a sub when the opponents are tired and he has that bit more time on the ball. Drenthe far superior

Exactly mate

I will continue to maintain that there is NO excuse for a player at this level to be so one-footed. What are such players doing in training all week, for several years? Especially when like Maghoma they are being used like this. Don't they have any pride, dedication or intelligence? I only ever played at a humble level, but I practiced to make sure I could use my weaker foot to a decent degree.

Agreed

We had our own 'inside winger' right that some might remember who used to like coming inside. 

Admittedly his 'bad foot wasn't too shabby either !

Merson at Arsenal. Possibly the most one footed player I can ever remember.

But.... it wasn't really about him having one foot.

It was about him having a final product.

He played on the left, but used to come in and thread thru-balls for right. Hanging cross to the back stick for Smith/Campbell and more often than not against Wednesday he'd cut in and score!

I think Maghomas deviancies, as they are , are in his head not his feet.

Just a bloke. Being dragged along in a world that moves too quick for it's own good.

Merson at Arsenal. Possibly the most one footed player I can ever remember.

He wasn't even the most one-footed player on that team. Step forward Nigel Winterburn. I used to HATE him for that and even remember him shinning an own goal because he was so determined to wrap his left leg around the clearance rather than use the much more natural right one. 

He wasn't even the most one-footed player on that team. Step forward Nigel Winterburn. I used to HATE him for that and even remember him shinning an own goal because he was so determined to wrap his left leg around the clearance rather than use the much more natural right one. 

Good call.

And they played down the left as a partnership.

One that most teams couldn't deal with.

And that's what I mean in reference to Maghoma - It isn't always about the feet. It's about what's in the head.

He's a reactor not an anticipator.

Just a bloke. Being dragged along in a world that moves too quick for it's own good.