Necessary change = Maghoma central?

Guest JonTheOwl66

Guest JonTheOwl66

The sensible posters on here all know Maghoma is a good player, and whether it be for tactical or confidence issues he doesn't seem to like taking the opposition fullback on..

So far this season, we've looked a decent side when Maghoma has played centrally. He's created more goals for us this year than anybody else, and with Drenthe deserving of a start... Surely it makes sense to push Maghoma centrally?

He seems to have all the attributes to provide some goals and assists from there, and could well be the solution to these creative problems.

This for me is his best position.  He's a right footed player being asked to play on the left week in week out - hence why he does nothing but cut inside everytime he gets near the box.

It's time for Gray to try something different as the current set up is clearly not working at home as we just aren't scoring or creating.

Why do people persist with the idea of trying to find different roles for Maghoma to play?

What makes them think he could suceed in a central midfield role that requires so much more discipline and workrate than his current role. He can't hack it in his natural position of out wide or up front so god help him in a midfield battle.

I'd like to see him in a 5 man midfield.

He would be mainly trying to create stuff for the front two.We'd have semedo and lee in cm and maybe helan and palmer wide.Helan could add some pace to the attacks and palmer is useful going forward.He wouldn't have to be much more disciplined than has to be now.

If we play with two defensive midfielders in a 442 I'd like to see Drenthe play instead of Maguire.

Just don't like Maguire where he is.

Depends who we play ofc.One formation doesn't fit all.

Edited by Eightace

Guest JonTheOwl66

if hes right footed why not play him on the right wing that is what I dont get.

Because it encourages Mattock to overlap. It's fairly basic footballing tactics.

Why do people persist with the idea of trying to find different roles for Maghoma to play?

What makes them think he could suceed in a central midfield role that requires so much more discipline and workrate than his current role. He can't hack it in his natural position of out wide or up front so god help him in a midfield battle.

playing out wide in a 4-4-2 you are very much part of that midfield battle.  It requires just as much discipline and workrate as the central midfielders. You have to get up the pitch to support the attacking play, get back in defence, press their full back when he has position, track their midfielder or their full back when they are attacking.  Tuck inside when they have possesion on the opposite flank...get out wide and forward when we have posession etc. 

Guest wilyfox

Yes, he has good agility with the ball in congested areas through the middle. He likes to break forward, and would give a link and support to the forwards.

I'd be inclined to use Maghoma through the middle in place of Lee, because he looks out of sorts since his injury.

Guest JonTheOwl66

Irish used to be left footed and king used to overlap him..

Mattock should overlap regardless of what footed Maghoma is.

No, that's not what I'm saying. I'm saying it encourages him to.

We then have two options down that wing. Mattock can out a neat ball in while Maghoma can cut in and play through the middle instead.

Maghoma cutting in creates space and potential overloading on the left hand side.