The target is 50 points

Same as most seasons for the last 20 years

Without major investment, it's steady progress

We're in a better position than this time last year

That's steady progress

Anyone who thinks we should go out and spend a million or two

You're probably following the wrong club

It's been this way a long time

Why don't people understand, we're skint.

Edited by HOOTIE AND THE SHIT TU

Just a bloke, who used up all his luck in one go when he met his wife.

On reflection, I am pleased with the clean sheet. I accept our limitations going forward, we simply don't have the personnel to trouble half decent sides on a consistent basis. We have set up to be solid and to try and grind out results, but of late, we've not looked as secure at the back. You always worry that, if you ignore a problem, you suddenly find you have problems elsewhere, so with that in mind, it was good to get back to basics last night. To be honest though, it's not the away games that concern me, it's the home games where the onus is on us to break sides down. How do we do that if we don't have the players?

FFS, on recent form we are not going to have a mid table finish.. How hard is this to understand.

Do only recent results count? I was under the impression that all the points accumulated during the season were added up. Silly me.

You're assuming that our recent form will continue for the rest of the season. Given that we've already had one period of good results that saw us towards the top end of the table, there's nothing to say that we won't have more in the future. Very few teams are consistent for the entire season (either consistently good or consistently bad), aside from the ones right at the top and right at the bottom. I haven't seen anything from our results so far that suggests we're going to be one of those teams. We've lost three of thirteen (two of which were teams in top form at the time), and we have the second best defence in the division. Teams who concede fewer than a goal a game on average rarely find themselves in relegation battles, even if they don't score many at the other end.

Do only recent results count? I was under the impression that all the points accumulated during the season were added up. Silly me.

You're assuming that our recent form will continue for the rest of the season. Given that we've already had one period of good results that saw us towards the top end of the table, there's nothing to say that we won't have more in the future. Very few teams are consistent for the entire season (either consistently good or consistently bad), aside from the ones right at the top and right at the bottom. I haven't seen anything from our results so far that suggests we're going to be one of those teams. We've lost three of thirteen (two of which were teams in top form at the time), and we have the second best defence in the division. Teams who concede fewer than a goal a game on average rarely find themselves in relegation battles, even if they don't score many at the other end.

Your right, projections are based on the assumption that any calculated form will continue for the rest of the season, and these points are added to those already gained.

This model doesn't indicate anything about the consistently of that projected points gain, throughout the remaining games (you've made that up).

The contentious point regarding this modelling is the period that is chosen for the form calculation. This can have bias and be chosen to support a view. If you're interested here are 3 possible periods and the projected outcomes.

post-18601-0-45509500-1413974134.jpg

I wish people would stop saying this,

Our recent form (3 points from the last 5 games) is relegation form. Our lack of goals make reversing this diffcult.

We are heading straight into a relegation battle.

Yeah our recent form is relegation form. But our early season form was promotion form. Hence the reason why we're mid table

Our form is a worry but with the squad we have it was unlikely we were going to sustain a promotion challenge. Every team goes through sticky patches

Glad we've cleared that one up.

The proper answer is that you have to choose a period based on the consistency of results and a period large enough to be at least a little bit stable.

-A team that's been consitent would use the whole season's form, to project

-An erratic team would again use the whole season's form, to project

-A team whose form has trended (either up or down) would choose a more recent period

Unfortunatley for us, we're looking like we're on a downward trend.

Happy with a point, would have taken that before the game started. Frustrating thing though is that by the sounds of it we had a period were we were on top and didnt take our chances. Crying out for a forward who can take the chances when handed to him. A creative midfielder would help though as well.

Thought a draw was a fair result. Brentford looked like they were going to tear us a new one in the first twenty minutes.

We really lacked that little bit of quality again in midfield that would/could have given us the 3 points.

Energy and endeavour ok but not always enough.

Nuhui was very poor and played down the middle, on the left and on the right in a bizarre second half tactical choice by SG.

I thought Helan did ok, but as normal there was little or no end product from him after beating the full back.

Not giving Drenthe some more time on the pitch I thought was a mistake.

Palmer a worry for me but had a lot better second half.

Lees our best player by a country mile for me, what a signing he's proved to be.

Good point against a team who will be comfortably in the top half of the table come May. 

Brentford are pacey and wanted the ball on the floor at every opportunity; some of their passages of play were impressive and a stark contrast to our lumps. I was disappointed we continued to let their keeper play the short balls, despite knowing what they were doing but ah well. 

I agree with Gray's comment: not many teams will go there and leave with a clean sheet. 

In terms of attacking, we were disappointing and it is hard to see where goals come from but we were also unlucky. Thought on any other day that could have been a 2-2 game etc.