TBH .... I think we're doing alright ....

It's almost like some would prefer us to be in a relegation scrap. What do you expect? No investment and were doing a lot better than last season. I just don't get it

Some people have the "I WANT IT NOW!" outlook on life generally. We finish 11 - not good enough, they wanted 10th. Charge for the playoffs, not good enough we should have been in them. Get into the playoffs, not good enough should have been automatic promotion.

Etc, etc.

These people would tell you that they are just ambitious, and that anyone not wanting what they want are "Clappers", but we are in reality, pragmatists. We would ALL love to get promoted, but we realise that without significant investment, this is not likely to happen.

Edited by Last_Great_Hope

Some people have the "I WANT IT NOW!" outlook on life generally. We finish 11 - not good enough, they wanted 10th. Charge for the playoffs, not good enough we should have been in them. Get into the playoffs, not good enough should have been automatic promotion.Etc, etc.These people would tell you that they are just ambitious, and that anyone not wanting what they want are "Clappers", but we are in reality, pragmatists. We would ALL love to get promoted, but we realise that without significant investment, this is not likely to happen.

It's one way of looking at things. By that token, you must be delighted, getting a point at Brentford, a side who spent the sort of money in the summer, we could only dream of spending. Really, how many people are asking for significant investment? According to a national newspaper, our budget last season was bottom six For a club of our size and support that's unacceptable and unrealistic if we want to maintain our status.

Thank god someone made this thread, yeah were on bad form atm but Christ id have taken this at the start of the season. We all would have! The amount of relegation talk on here was amazing pre-season. Everyone has a bad patch of form, look at QPR last season and they went up without any good fashion. We're are a mid table team but the fact I'm looking how many points we are from 6th rather than how many from the relegation zone is surely progress in itself. Progress is more likely to bring investment as well.

I don't think I can say we're doing alright. Our form of late has dipped to almost concerning levels.

Saying this I think we'll be fine and expect a top half finish this season.

I'm looking at it relatively. In recent years bad form consisted of back to back defeats for 8 games at least we get the odd draw now lol

It's almost like some would prefer us to be in a relegation scrap. What do you expect? No investment and were doing a lot better than last season. I just don't get it

I agree with this.

However a couple of good loan signings isn't an unrealistic expectation to have in this division. Loanees have an impact on the playing budget but nowhere near as much as the outlay would if we were a buying club.

We've had some investement over the summer but we do need a little bit more now or we will be in a relegation fight based on current form and our lack of improvement in results.

MM has to stop the rot before it begins. he's cheesing me off now because it is the cynical way he is promising rather than just bgeing up front with his fanbase and saying we're struggling to get a loan player in. It may not happen.

I anticipate a loan signing before the loan deadline but I also see us selling one or two in January to cover these.

The word 'skeletal' does not fully do our squad depth justice presently - We need a loan signing or else we will just turn our current players into knackered old carthorses.

Edited by F. Spiksley

You would have to say we are doing better than expected. However I wish we hadn't tampered with the system to accommodate Stevie May. We have gone from looking solid and in control of games to playing in a way that, against the poorer sides, gives us a 50 50 chance of winning, but against the better sides, almost nil. Why did we change it, we don't have the players in midfield, or out wide, to operate 442 with wingers. Up front, we are no more potent with two players instead of one. Need to get back to basics and build something solid, a system that allows our best players to flourish

I agree with this.

However a couple of good loan signings isn't an unrealistic expectation to have in this division. Loanees have an impact on the playing budget but nowhere near as much as the outlay would if we were a buying club.

We've had some investement over the summer but we do need a little bit more now or we will be in a relegation fight based on current form and our lack of improvement in results.

MM has to stop the rot before it begins. he's cheesing me off now because it is the cynical way he is promising rather than just bgeing up front with his fanbase and saying we're struggling to get a loan player in. It may not happen.

I anticipate a loan signing before the loan deadline but I also see us selling one or two in January to cover these.

The word 'skeletal' does not fully do our squad depth justice presently - We need a loan signing or else we will just turn our current players into knackered old carthorses.

Agree with this, I am happy at our current state and think we are doing well under the circumstances, but a good quality signing could make a huge difference, If for instance we could unearth another striker like Wickham we would be top 6 now.

That shows we are not far off.

We've done alright results wise until recently, but the fans deserve a bit more for their money imho, we've not just stopped scoring goals, we've pretty much stopped having shots

I can only remember 2 or 3 genuine efforts at the Brentford goal the other day, we simply never look like a threat and the 10 (might be 11?) league goals this season backs that up, against teams like them who will be around us in the table we should be doing a lot more.

We're in an ok position in the table at the moment but unfortunately we're only heading backwards from here because a 0-0 draw seems to be the best we can hope for without a huge slice of luck,

I agree we are doing better then I thought we would BUT,it's so frustrating that with a little bit of investment we could push on,and actually have a go at playoffs...

Nobody apart from Watford(and we played crap really) look any better then us,just being a bit more clinical in front of goal and experienced heads out there could have seen us with another 6 points at least if not more!!

UTO

People's expectations were raised by the good start.

If we'd started the season bad then clawed our way up to this position in the second half of the season (up to now) then people would be positive and saying we can make the play offs.

Naturally, people are reacting to the last few results but the amount of panic and waffle on here is ridiculously OTT.

But after all, it is owlstalk.

All some people are capable of doing is seeing the negative.  Some only come on here to p*** and moan.

In the context of a relegation scrap it appears as though these people are just normal, rational folk.  Now we're not in a relegation scrap so can't **** and moan about that, they zero in on all kinds of arbitrary nonsense and just keep churning out the same old whining dirge.

To the OP.  When you say expect mid table at best, well that's not what MM thinks.  He said this summer that we will be aiming for promotion this season.  If he hadn't raised our expectations, then I would be satisfied with mid table.  

This season though, I'm at least hoping we can make the playoffs.