Rather a solid defence and blunt attack than vice versa?

It's frustrating to see us struggling to create clear-cut goal-scoring opportunities at the moment, but in the long run surely it's preferable to the opposite scenario? Although it might be more entertaining to be scoring for fun and conceding just as many, a solid defence is the foundation on which any decent team is built.

Over the next season or so, won't it be easier to add individual players with a bit of flair or creativity to our solid base than it would be to establish a solid, well-drilled defensive unit mid-season?

We're in a situation where individual players in the right positions could make a MASSIVE difference to our current team and that can only be a good thing as we look to push on to the next stage of our development.

Guest wilyfox

Pleased we got back to keeping the opposition out, but let's face it...are we any more threatening with 3 strikers on the pitch? Disappointed Drenthe only came on in the last 10mins.

Pleased we got back to keeping the opposition out, but let's face it...are we any more threatening with 3 strikers on the pitch? Disappointed Drenthe only came on in the last 10mins.

True. I was baffled by that substitution: the supply line to the strikers is our issue; sticking another striker on wasn't going to change that.

I really hope Drenthe starts against Norwich, but I don't think he will.

Guest Sheff Owl

Important tonight was keeping a clean sheet, which we did.

We needed to stop the conceding of silly goals, so it's a start.

Scoring goals is a whole other problem, this needs sorting ASAP.

Probably agree, and it seems to be something we are working on throughout the club with the development side and the U18s looking to keep it tight. It's annoying that we couldn't have done more to build on our good start. Nobody was asking for us to splash the cash, but a couple of quality loans in attacking areas could of kept us ticking over. We are not yet in free fall, but the signs are not good, if nothing else, we've certainly lost momentum

Edited by gurujuan

Guest Distraught!

0-0 gets you one point but 5-4 gets you three points.

People rattle on about legendary Arsenal teams that could consistently scrape 1-0 wins but they always had one forward e.g. Wright that could convert the chances they did create. We don't even have that.

Unless things improve scoring wise, it looks like being another long, hard struggle this year.

0-0 gets you one point but 5-4 gets you three points.

You reckon we have the creativity, incisiveness and lethality to take on teams in a shoot out and regularly beat them?

:huh:

It seems to me that our best chance is to do what we're doing; stifle the opponents somewhat and hope we can sneak a goal. It's not exciting and gives us a problem if we do go behind, but the results over the course of the season don't suggest Gray has got it wrong.

Guest Distraught!

You reckon we have the creativity, incisiveness and lethality to take on teams in a shoot out and regularly beat them?

:huh:

Nope, that's the problem.

But I also don't buy into this assumption that all good sides are built on solid defence. I also take on board your comment in another thread about the likely outcome should we go a goal behind.

This is my worry.

Guest Distraught!

Maybe I should also explain that my initial post relates directly to the statement "rather a solid defence and a blunt attack". 

Obviously, it is better to have a solid defence and also be able to score goals but, given the choice, I would prefer an adequate defence but at least be able to score a few goals every now and then.

Of course, we are currently not equipped for that so grinding out results is the only option but it is not the option I would take given the choice. 

Guest Distraught!

History would suggest otherwise

I am not convinced. Obviously, a team has a much greater chance of success with a "solid" defence but that alone is not enough. Even George Graham's Arsenal sides also contained sufficient goal scoring potential to carry them to success.

It probably comes down to semantics and what differentiates a "solid" defence from an "adequate" defence but I would rather operate with an adequate defence and a bit of goal scoring potential. Clean sheets mean nothing to me unless they can be turned into regular victories.

I would prefer to concede one or two goals a game but have midfielders and strikers that could deal with the deficit.

it's only solid against teams where their forwards aren't blessed with bags of pace.

it will see us fine, but if I'm honest I'd rather concede a goal a game and score too than never look to be able to outscore an opponent.

We defend as a team and attack as nowt