New Addition today - hopefully

Guest Sheff Owl

Guest wilyfox

Have we heard 'owt...?

We've heard we're still in negotiations with a prem club over an unnamed player regarding possible recruitment before Norwich - that's it.

Whether that means they're now unsure they want to loan him, or want more money, or the player himself is unsure if he wants to come...no idea.

a decent striker require's decent service ,not much of that happening in our team ,especially when the striker has to keep running back doing the midfields job ,

Trev how many times have you seen sides come to Hillsborough, be under the cosh, but walk away with the points when the striker puts away the only half chance they create. Won't deny that the service to our front players could be improved but when I look at our strikers, I don't see the desire to get on the end of things.

Guest wilyfox

Unless you get a self-sufficient striker like Ince, Aluko, Emnes - as Wickham showed before, a lot depends on the type of forward.

I'd also suggest that an attacking mid won't increase our threat in behind. Madine, May and Nuhiu can't burn pace they don't have.

I'd also suggest that an attacking mid won't increase our threat in behind. Madine, May and Nuhiu can't burn pace they don't have.

No but a half decent attacking midfielder might just arrive late into the box and smash the ball in the net, the number of goals scored by central midfielders this season currently stands at 1 which was scored back on the opening day, and I'll bet good money it stays at 1 until the end of the season.

Lost count now how many times you see us throw a ( usually quite poor ) cross into the box, it gets headed away and we then look for a midfielder arriving to keep the "attack" alive

Where are Semedo and Lee? On the halfway line, offering absolutely nothing by way of support, the opposing player then has time to bring the ball down on the edge of his own box and they start playing

Trev how many times have you seen sides come to Hillsborough, be under the cosh, but walk away with the points when the striker puts away the only half chance they create. Won't deny that the service to our front players could be improved but when I look at our strikers, I don't see the desire to get on the end of things.

Agreed - creative midfielders are an excuse for so called strikers missing open goal mouths from 6 yards, trying to score the goal of the season instead of simply laying the ball off to a colleague in a better scoring position, side footing a shot at the keeper when the players' (so some claim) skill would allow him to make an advantage position and slam it in the net, not getting power into a header to even test the keeper, not getting anywhere near corners coming in.

I do agree with Trev about strikers having to leg it back to provide support to a very weak and unorganised midfield though.  

We should have never have let Reda go.....

Edited by Bahrain Owl

No but a half decent attacking midfielder might just arrive late into the box and smash the ball in the net, the number of goals scored by central midfielders this season currently stands at 1 which was scored back on the opening day, and I'll bet good money it stays at 1 until the end of the season.

Lost count now how many times you see us throw a ( usually quite poor ) cross into the box, it gets headed away and we then look for a midfielder arriving to keep the "attack" alive

Where are Semedo and Lee? On the halfway line, offering absolutely nothing by way of support, the opposing player then has time to bring the ball down on the edge of his own box and they start playing

The problem is the system. The only time we've scored a goal from central midfield was the Brighton match which was one of the only times we've played with a central three. It's no coincidence that our midfield looked as good as any in the division that day. It would be a tall order for any midfield player to run beyond the forwards when we play just two in the middle. We don't have the quality and in an age when sides flood the midfield, it's too risky. Personally, I don't believe we should have changed the system to accommodate May, it doesn't make us any more threatening and we lose a lot of the control. Get a decent experienced striker at the head of a five man midfield and we'll be a lot more consistent. May can be used from the bench when needed, which is probably where all our current strikers should be.

Guest wilyfox

But we have decent candidates for that type of role. Maghoma, Maguire & Drenthe can all be considered for a central attacking midfield role should we need a link player, I would have thought. But we don't really have anybody who can turn the opposition and exploit any space in behind. Antonio was the one who gave us that threat whilst here.

Lost count of the number of times this happened last night.

we have no midfielders who can give the killer ball unless they are instructed to play defensive which I doubt so the decent service isn't there ,half chances do come agreed but to turn them in is a skill to far for our strikers at the moment and may needs the right man to work with him it'sok winning the ball up front then putting the subsequent header miles away from the intended recipient and expecting him to score a worldy May does make the runs and often the ball isn't there at the end of it , that's not his fault but the provider's fault ,trouble is in tis system May is having to do other peoples work rather than his own which in it's own right makes it a damn sight harder to score ,

we have no midfielders who can give the killer ball unless they are instructed to play defensive which I doubt so the decent service isn't there ,half chances do come agreed but to turn them in is a skill to far for our strikers at the moment and may needs the right man to work with him it'sok winning the ball up front then putting the subsequent header miles away from the intended recipient and expecting him to score a worldy May does make the runs and often the ball isn't there at the end of it , that's not his fault but the provider's fault ,trouble is in tis system May is having to do other peoples work rather than his own which in it's own right makes it a damn sight harder to score ,

We shouldn't just be focusing on May - what about Nuhiu, what about Madine? From what I have seen, I am with the "get a decent striker in" mob. None of our strikers come anywhere close to what is required. But that is not the problem is it??

We all know the root of the problem here....what is required, itself, requires money.......

When will the club and the fanbase stop putting an Elastoplast over a clear broken limb? (and get some real meaty threads going again...?) 

We don't have an ideal striker to play up front with May, in fact there doesn't look to be an effective pairing amongst the group. Hopefully Stu has identified, either a potential partner for May, or any of the others, or he has someone in mind who could play the lone striker role. If we aren't bringing anyone in, then I'd play Nuhiu up on his own and strengthen the midfield, with May and Madine from the bench

Edited by gurujuan

But we have decent candidates for that type of role. Maghoma, Maguire & Drenthe can all be considered for a central attacking midfield role should we need a link player, I would have thought. But we don't really have anybody who can turn the opposition and exploit any space in behind. Antonio was the one who gave us that threat whilst here.

I think this is worth looking at, but could Helan provide some of that speed? He's about the only likely candidate isn't he?

. Antonio was the one who gave us that threat whilst here.

Antonio is the main example of our under 9s approach to football matches. When he was here it was "give it to the fast kid and watch him run" which has now developed back to "boot it at the giant lad up front"

Sad to look at Antonio now, he's nodding in back post headers and tucking away tap ins every other week because he's getting the ball in areas of the field where he wants it, we just passed it to him well inside his own half, then everybody else stood watching with no attempt to really back him up and hoped he won a corner

Guest wilyfox

Antonio is the main example of our under 9s approach to football matches. When he was here it was "give it to the fast kid and watch him run" which has now developed back to "boot it at the giant lad up front"

Sad to look at Antonio now, he's nodding in back post headers and tucking away tap ins every other week because he's getting the ball in areas of the field where he wants it, we just passed it to him well inside his own half, then everybody else stood watching with no attempt to really back him up and hoped he won a corner

I agree, we didn't use him well. But he still added a dimension we've now lost from our game - and we're unable to hurt teams partly because of that.

I agree with what Megson said whilst in charge; he said you must be able to play through opposition, go around them, and get in behind them - or words to that effect.

We struggle to play through, we don't go around well enough, and have lost the ability to get in behind now JJ and Antonio are gone.