Not Playing English Players ...

I was one of the one of those who raised it but not through sour grapes you do what you can within the current laws of the game and the land. However Watford are in the 2nd tier of football, have a 3 sided ground, average barely 13k but field an international class foreign 11, that must raise eyebrows and cannot be cheap? People moan at arsenal, chelsea and Man City saying it's not fair and damages our game. If it is happening in the 2nd tier then for me the game is beyond repair I bet it has NEVER happened in any other country's 2nd tier in the world and probably never will.

Watford were a world away from us on the pitch at times so clubs will follow their lead and the downward spiral of our homegrown game already well in place in the premier league, will continue at pace.

If wednesday chose that route then fine not much they are doing wrong or you and I can do but support and hope for success but surely this has to affect football in this country?

Edited by shez owl

Good post

Watford were a perfect storm for such a venture though.

Club about to go bankrupt and a quick sale desperately needed, first class training facilities, edge of London, great productive academy and owned their town centre stadium (which now has four stands once again btw)

They were ripe for asset strippers - or in this case the model that the buyers were seeking such a club for

They struck lucky

Surprised more clubs haven't ended up in similar partnerships tbh

Good post

Watford were a perfect storm for such a venture though.

Club about to go bankrupt and a quick sale desperately needed, first class training facilities, edge of London, great productive academy and owned their town centre stadium (which now has four stands once again btw)

They were ripe for asset strippers - or in this case the model that the buyers were seeking such a club for

They struck lucky

Surprised more clubs haven't ended up in similar partnerships tbh

Its because we didn't go into admin...

Thats what we are suffering from

doing it, or trying to do it the right way..We paid a fookin' massive price for Xbana Milan" and the rest of it...

I'm happy with keeping our integrity and paddling along as we are doing, but I blame no-one for thinking foo.k it..lets go the wall and start again

If you take Southampton, Palace and a fair few others into the equation...

We may have the moral high ground..but you can be top of the moral high ground and still nowhere in the league

How about all those foreign stars that we employed in the nineties, remind me how that ended up?

Cant just blame foreign players. We over paid all nationalities in the past inc UK ones. In fact some of our best players were say Swedish, American and Brasilian. All about getting the right players for the right money at the right time. Its an art form we are average at, at best

Does it matter? Watford cop for a lot of stick, but what do they do that Premier League teams don't apart from doing it on the cheap?

Premier League sides have been packing their squads full of foreign players for years. Yet Watfords owners have this unique idea to own 3 teams and swap players between them.

They've found a loophole and done brilliantly to exploit it.

Does it matter? Watford cop for a lot of stick, but what do they do that Premier League teams don't apart from doing it on the cheap?

Premier League sides have been packing their squads full of foreign players for years. Yet Watfords owners have this unique idea to own 3 teams and swap players between them.

They've found a loophole and done brilliantly to exploit it.

Plus they have a decent core of academy graduates in their squad

Their captain is English and over the course of last season they had one of the highest (maybe the highest) percentage of players in their squad who came through their academy of all championship clubs

I expect that will change especially if they get promoted but it's not s bad model is it?

How about all those foreign stars that we employed in the nineties, remind me how that ended up?

whos fault was that though, there was a lot of money thrown about without realising theres a science behind it. all the crap managers we had at the end of the 90s and 2000s apart from sturrock, megson and potentially gray did a lot of signing over rated big name or name players and didnt have a clue about how to run a football club and develop a team instead of picking a line up.

de bilde, jonk, jeffers, magilton, horne, bothroyd, purse, taylor, rodri, srnicek-(he was alright but i never understood big kev not being the no.1)

seems more creative these days.

Think the UEFA cup lured him here. Doubt he will stay beyond the end of this round when HJK go out

Semedo would probably look creative playing in Finland. If you had to pinpoint one player out there who would stand out who is it?