Reality Hitting At Last

Now the Euphoria of our excellent start to the season seems to have dwindled away having not won for 6 games (I think), it seems like we are going to be in for a boring season. That said however the bottom sides that seemed so far away a few weeks ago, are closing the gap.

So what do people predict from this point onwards to end of the season:

1) Bottom 3

2) Bottom half of table but not relegation zone

3) 7th to 12th

4) Play Offs

5) Promotion (Automatic or Play Off Winners)

It seems doom and gloom at the moment BUT we have lost only 3 league games this far, and with the current squad and injuries, I think that is pretty good considering the 3 sides we have lost to have a realistic chance of being the top 3 come the end of the season. We seem to be out "shooting" the opposition and have more corners etc etc just about every game, but the difference in class is starting to show. We have chucked a bucket load of points away (Millwall/Bolton more so than others) and I can't see anyone walking away with the league.

For me with the current set up we are certainly a bottom half of the table side, my prediction would be 16th with the bottom three being Blackpool, Bolton and Birmingham.

What we realistically need would be 3 midfielders and 1 striker, with that judging by the first 12 games, we could be a play off side BUT MM is not going to fork any money out.......is he?

If we beat brentford on tuesday, the automatics will still be on. 

Puts tin hat on. 

This is what I mean by reality hitting! This morning we were 4 points off the top and I was thinking "If Only" we had not given away those 4 points against Millwall & Bolton, possibly 2 against Derby and 2 against Leeds, we could have actually been a few points clear at the top. Then we would all be thinking automatic. I know over a season every club will lose points when they should have had them and win some when they shouldn't (like us against Reading). But today reality has hit home lol. We just do not have the capability or squad to cope with the best the league can hit us with.

Our strike rate in recent years on loans signings, and their success, has been incredible. Scott Carson, Kenwyne Jones, Ben Marshall, Conor Wickham, Matty Fryatt, Danny Batth etc have got us out of trouble, and out of League 1. Maybe our luck has run out.

Guest Sheff Owl

We was probably always going to fall down the league but we had momentum, we had confidence and we needed to add to the squad then not when players are low on confidence and we are having an iffy spell.

We needed to add quality not players like Hope, it's so frustrating because when things are going well we seem to plod along without actually building on what we are doing.

I still think top 10 is achieveable. 3-0 flattered Watford today, after an offside goal and a gift from Westwood. They're one of the best teams in the league and we had an off day but they still didn't seem that much better than us.

This is exactly what I have thought. We lost to Forest, we should have had a point. We lost at Cardiff, again a point was fair. No team with the exception of Man City, have dominated us and we have played a lot of the "better" teams in the league already. I think Norwich will tear us a new one next week unfortunately IF we don't get a result at Brentford, which is a tough one but we need to win that desperately.

I find myself saying 'I'd take a point today' before every match. This league, since we were last in it, has gone to another level. We are a long way off, and it's a gap that won't be filled by having a long term plan around loan signings and the academy. It will take serious money.