Offside.

Dunno. Why don't you mull over that during self-reflection? But try not to talk down to yourself as you do others. You might not like it.

They're not meant to like it. It is what it is. If they are wrong about the rules and embarrass themselves by shrieking about it and denying the obvious when it's explained to them, then I have no regrets that they don't like it when I point that out. My supposed pomposity is rather more gentle than some of the abuse that's been handed out in this thread for a start.

1) Is Vydra offside by no more than a few inches?

2) Is he moving forward at considerable speed whilst the last defender is going in the opposite direction?

3) Do both the above factors mean the linesman has a tiny fraction of a second to make a judgement?

4) Is it realistic to expect a human being to make that call with a high degree of accuracy?

5) Do the rules instruct the linesman to give the benefit of the doubt to the attacking player?

6) Are decisions like these a routine part of the game that sometimes go for you and sometimes against?

So what are you arguing about again?

Guest wilyfox

1) Is Vydra offside by no more than a few inches?

2) Is he moving forward at considerable speed whilst the last defender is going in the opposite direction?

3) Do both the above factors mean the linesman has a tiny fraction of a second to make a judgement?

4) Is it realistic to expect a human being to make that call with a high degree of accuracy?

5) Do the rules instruct the linesman to give the benefit of the doubt to the attacking player?

6) Are decisions like these a routine part of the game that sometimes go for you and sometimes against?

So what are you arguing about again?

Offside is offside - but I wouldn't expect you to agree with that. You'll simply give the officials a cop-out by harping on about human element and margins. It was an incorrect judgement call. I very much doubt it changed the game in any significant way; we were comprehensively beaten. There is no hate campaign against the officials, so the lengths you're going to trying to vindicate an incorrect decision are ridiculous.

If the linesman had done his 1 job (well 2 if you still count throw ins which refs do more and more) then it wouldn't even have got as far as the penalty area.

I am a bit uneasy about exonerating the linesman because of the speed with which it all took place, to be honest.

No doubt it was why he missed it, but is it too much to expect linesmen to have little more than the average fan's ability to spot offsides?

I am a bit uneasy about exonerating the linesman because of the speed with which it all took place, to be honest.

No doubt it was why he missed it, but is it too much to expect linesmen to have little more than the average fan's ability to spot offsides?

You're right, especially when it's impossible for him to have seen the player anything other than offside - and it would have been by a distance when he saw him.