3 years sgo today, the day the tide turned...

saying this game was a turning point is a bit strange for me.

I know others have mentioned that the home game against united was, but I have to agree with them. and here's some points to back it up.

Prior to this match our form was

12 games: W8 D1 L3

That's 2 points per game

Following this match:

19 games: W9 D4 L6

that's an average points per game of 1.6 which is off play off form let alone promotion form.

It's nearly half a point better than following the united game, so if anything you could argue that the change at this point, wasn't a change for the better. 

We lost games to teams like carlisle, walsall, exeter, stevenage and chesterfield (there was also a loss to charlton in there, but I don't think I can include that in the same way).

There was also that pathetic draw against huddersfield. 0-2 down, 4-2 up ending 4-4.

To me it didn't even feel like a change, we looked like the same team... some promise, but realistically not going to make the cut.

Compare all of that to the games following the home win against them, and the sacking of megson

12 games form: W11 D3 L0

an average of 2.5 which was the best for of the league.

I'm not saying the day wasn't nice, and it truly felt like a win, but in reality, that game wasn't the real turning point for our season... unless you mean the following form which brought about the sacking of megson... then I'd say it probably was.

Also at the beamback, weren't it over 10,000 plus?

There was lots of folk just plain flat out laughing at end,particularly as the camera panned round thier crowd at the final whistle....each bottom lip out, smacked arse face got a cheer.

Only other time seen laughter was round me in north stand when somehow boro didn't get given a goal when it crossed the line twice. We all just looked at each other gobsmacked

What i was trying to get at was, no statisically it wasnt a massive turning point, as it was October.

But it was a turning point i think in the city dominance, we had the upper hand in the 90's and in the late 2000's it was their turn.

This match (for me) symbalilsed that we werent second best anymore, and we can go to their place, not fear them and out battle them. For too long before that, we used to get turned over in battles, the one thing Megson instilled was the battle culture.

But, besides, like others say....what a day!!

Guest Gazzaswfc

Rob jones was a leader of men that team had backbone & fight something we been lacking for years I was sat in home end near dugout I jumped up when 2nd went in loads of fellow owls on home end remember looking over at Wednesdayites celebrating madine's goal it was epic

saying this game was a turning point is a bit strange for me.

I know others have mentioned that the home game against united was, but I have to agree with them. and here's some points to back it up.

Prior to this match our form was

12 games: W8 D1 L3

That's 2 points per game

Following this match:

19 games: W9 D4 L6

that's an average points per game of 1.6 which is off play off form let alone promotion form.

It's nearly half a point better than following the united game, so if anything you could argue that the change at this point, wasn't a change for the better. 

We lost games to teams like carlisle, walsall, exeter, stevenage and chesterfield (there was also a loss to charlton in there, but I don't think I can include that in the same way).

There was also that pathetic draw against huddersfield. 0-2 down, 4-2 up ending 4-4.

To me it didn't even feel like a change, we looked like the same team... some promise, but realistically not going to make the cut.

Compare all of that to the games following the home win against them, and the sacking of megson

12 games form: W11 D3 L0

an average of 2.5 which was the best for of the league.

I'm not saying the day wasn't nice, and it truly felt like a win, but in reality, that game wasn't the real turning point for our season... unless you mean the following form which brought about the sacking of megson... then I'd say it probably was.

It had nothing to do with the sacking of Megson.

Look at the stats of the Wednesday team with Marshall and Antonio in the team.

Look at the stats of the team with neither of them in it.

Then tell me whether the manager or having somebody to unlock the door was more important.

For the record, Megson wanted Antonio and Marshall in the team from the start of the season.

It had nothing to do with the sacking of Megson.

Look at the stats of the Wednesday team with Marshall and Antonio in the team.

Look at the stats of the team with neither of them in it.

Then tell me whether the manager or having somebody to unlock the door was more important.

For the record, Megson wanted Antonio and Marshall in the team from the start of the season.

I know what you mean, and I was going to mention the Antonio / Marshall thing, but we you can't say with 100% certainty that they were the sole reasons for our form.

Look at it this way, our form plummeted massively whilst Marshall was still in the team.

We only won one of his last 4 games with us, and before that we had losses against stevenage, wallsall and carlisle.

Was it all down to marshall? Was his form just temporary? Did we just get found out and needed to change tactics? manager? something?

Not that discussing this really matters to be honest

What i was trying to get at was, no statisically it wasnt a MASSIVE turning point, as it was October.

But it was a turning point i think in the city dominance, we had the upper hand in the 90's and in the late 2000's it was their turn.

This match (for me) symbalilsed that we werent second best anymore, and we can go to their place, not fear them and out battle them. For too long before that, we used to get turned over in battles, the one thing Megson instilled was the battle culture.

But, besides, like others say....what a day!!

I do not think it showed a turning point in dominance in Steel City Derbys. Of the previous 6 before this game we had won 3, drawn 2 and only lost one.

When this match was played we were 5 points above Sheffield united in the table as well.

Great away game this. We controlled the game from start to finish and couldn't believe we were 2-0 down at half time. It could have gone either way in the 2nd half but we grinded out a result.

Waited at least 15 seconds after the net bulged for the 2nd goal as was certain the ref would give a foul as usually you cant breathe near a keeper without them winning a foul

I was there on the front row how we wernt 3-0 up before they scored is still beyond me! When the equalizer went in a bloke must have jumped 3/4 rows of seats and went straight past me over the barrier.

Got to work monday and a pig who had listened on't wireless said they hammered us and we were lucky! Just asked if he went he said no so i said his opinion wasnt valid! Later in the season that same pig said they were 11 points in front so i questioned his maths as the table read 5 points his reply "weve got 2 games in hand" i then said you have got to win those games first. I absolutley loved their season implode starting at Hillsborough we kept the pressure on and they cracked! Rapist was in Batth's back pocket all game that day.

Reyt ball from Semedo for Madine's/Reda's/the own goal.

Didn't COG miss a sitter in the first half? Like a genuine sitter...?

Not read the whole thread yet so may have been mentioned.

We hit the post/bar a couple of time in the first half aswell

All I remember about the equaliser is listening on RS with a hangover and propelling my KFC across the room.