Historically, Wednesday's strongest position.

We've had some Marvelous keepers over the years.

Ron is the best, and will remain so.

We've had some real wobblers too.

Tidman of course. The ex Newcastle lad forget his proper name but the chap infront of me called him Dracula for obvious reasons.

I hate to say it really. But our Porcine neighbours had a very good run too.

The fat one, not Kenny. The other cockney. The gambler. Kelly...though I doubt he played better than he did in that Semi again.

And that poor lad who died.

Banks is from this neck of the woods too.

Maybe there's something in the water.

Had a couple of keepers who were very unlucky with us. Chris Stringer looked a top prospect and Matt Clarke never got a chance here, before making a name for himself and then sadly having his career cut short.

Could add Marlon Beresford. Iirc he was injured pre-season, would have been first choice keeper, Hodge came on loan as temporary replacement and didn't miss a game for about 3 seasons. Beresford eventually left.

Could add Marlon Beresford. Iirc he was injured pre-season, would have been first choice keeper, Hodge came on loan as temporary replacement and didn't miss a game for about 3 seasons. Beresford eventually left.

Hodge came in as cover/competition for Iain Hesford and stopped him getting in the team, Beresford came on the scene towards the back end of Hodge's time at Wednesday.

Piggies also had Hodgkinson, but then again they had Hope to balance things out!

Amazing the number of excellent keepers from this area over the years.

There's a goal on the old BBC video 101 Great Goals scored bv John 'Yogi Bear' Hughes for Palace against Hope (worst charity ever) where he pulls out the most amazing dive-in-vain ever.

But you're right.

I know that season review probably word-for-word. We won 4-1 at home against Palace and Mark Bright scored a lob at Selhurst Park which Woods could do nothing about. Villa at home he flapped a a bit at a cross - although possibly also stopped a near-post header going in with NO marking whatsoever - and then saved a one-on-one only or the rebound to be put in, and couldn't do anything about the third.

The only MASSIVE howler I can recall from that season was unfortunately for Bobby Davison to score at Hillsborough. I can also recall a number of fine saves he made - the penalty against Arsenal, a one-on-one with Beardsley for Everton for our first win.

Don't like bumping old threads but I started watching the season review last night and got about 8 games in. Woods foooked up against villa, Notts County, forest and it's debatable against leeds. That's in less than a quarter of the season. We'd have been champions with out him.

How many have played for their country that have played for us?

think we´ve had 4 england keepers while they were at the club davison,brown, springett, woods .......srnicek played for the czechs while with us ...westwood for ireland and i reckon that may be the lot .

I think we've always done fairly well for goalkeepers. Going back a bit further, Grummit was a forking star and Ron S, of course was El Supremo. His brother, the late Peter of that ilk was, sadly, not of the same steel, methinks. More recently, I think Pressman gets my vote. You've always got  to like a fat tw@t twixt the sticks. (Not that he was a tw@t, you understand.)

I bet that some of our older posters will treasure the memory of "Jumping Jack" Brown and even earlier, Persimon Willingvale of the legendary 1883 team. His p3nis was virtually a third hand, so they say.

Edited by VictoryBell