Why do we have so few black and mixed race supporters?

I think this is true but it's a changing game now. Football clubs are not the hub of the community they once were and we may need to find new ways of enticing support. Not just ethnic minorities of course, but other groups. Norwich and Brighton do a lot with students for example and it seems to be paying off for them. Maybe we are becoming unfashionable, I don't know, but we do need to explore new ways of keeping Wednesday viable

Look I'm not championing him but LS used a to have a crack at innovative things but we were in a total mess financially at the time which obviously overshadowed everything else.

Nail on head for me there.

Look I'm not championing him but LS used a to have a crack at innovative things but we were in a total mess financially at the time which obviously overshadowed everything else.

For sure, Lee was open to new ideas and wanted to modernise Wednesday in many ways. We will need to do that at some time in the future, and I suppose it is already taking shape behind the scenes with the playing side of things. I am surprised though, that someone with Milan's acumen hasn't made more inroads into revamping our commercial operation. We lag behind so many clubs these days. Not just the Premier League big boys, but forward thinking clubs like Norwich and Brighton Edited by gurujuan

Its the kids we need to appeal to, long term vision etc. Seems the club took the cheap tickets away from youths this season which was shortsighted.

Remember we used to give part of the leppings lane end to schools etc, when was the last time that happened?

My ticket for the Man City game was free. The other half works at a college over the road from the ground and they were given 80 free tickets for the students, there were a few leftover and I managed to blag one.

They obviously didn't intend for me to have a ticket but the idea that they gave 80 away to encourage young local students to attend is a good idea if you ask me.

Whats racist is giving black and Asian "fans" free tickets to try and persude them to be owls!

If they want to come then come, if they don't then so be it!!

Why not tap into "white" fans that tend to go for glory like  man utd/city Chelsea fans ect....

Its simple fact your either born blue and white or your not, end of!

Its an issue for me that my kids have to pay and some don't just because we want them to embrace us. In simple terms if you want to come and be part of the swfc family then come, if you don't then sod off.

Why bend over backwards for others, that's what causes division and resentment

I think it's the catchment area of our fan base. The pigs are closer to the more multicultural areas and they don't have a lot of none white fans either, but more in my opinion.

I think this is pretty much spot on.

I know growing up in Stocksbridge in the 70s/80s the population was 99.9% white.

As Tom said City give out free tickets, we used to to schools and community groups etc.

We could easily have games where free tickets are sent out to say local armed forces one game, scouts another, unis, schools, unemployed, OAPs.

We need to think outside the box to try and get people to attend.

Problem we have now is that there isnt any real incentive as spend inside the ground on catering doesnt see the club

Nothing to stop the club trying to sell more merchandise etc though

Edited by modboy

This WAWAW tag line still makes me cringe.

Hate the idea of group identity. Whilst im similar to some fellow Wednesdayites im very different to others and wouldnt want to be lumped in with them come "judgement time"

that's because you don't know the history of it and think it's just something recently made up like one of our songs

I think seeing WAWAW as racist in anyway is stupid.

I really hate the recent trend of looking for racism when it is not even there.

woah i never said anything about WAWAW being racist, why would it be.

It was the comment about giving all immigrants a free ticket, why would you? Yes if they are part of a charity then why not as part of a wider initiative, but i didnt read it as such. And it seems i read it wrong so apologies.

Edited by modboy

But against that, Pitsmoor, which isn't, should also be in our catchment area

True, we actually moved to Burngreave for a couple of years (Around 78ish) then back to Stocksbrigde, vast difference in culture.

Did'nt realise how prejudiced people were till moving back, it's just plain and simple ignorance.

Well you lot can forget the new scoreboard then and heres where the money will have to be spent:

Sherdian suite becoming a prayer room.

New Halal signs at all food outlets.

Extra stewards for racist chanting/comments about the blades been pigs

No alcohol to be served in public areas.

No games in Ramadan month.

Christ the list goes on (oops shouldn't say Christ)

If your an owl just come and be part of the family,if your not then go elsewhere.

(braces himself for the left wing verbal)

Back in the seventies and eighties before mobile phones we used to arrange to meet up for away games, say in London, by arranging to meet in pubs. Now walking into a pub in London that might be full of Millwall or West Ham fans could be a bit, how can I say, tricky. So the first guy you saw who you thought might be a wednesday fan you would say " WAWAW "

Again, I don't think any of this has anything whatsoever to do with racism. It's just an observation, that we don't have, or never have had, any meaningful support from the black and mixed race community. Perhaps, due to demographics, that was understandable, now though, it's less so

Well you lot can forget the new scoreboard then and heres where the money will have to be spent:

Sherdian suite becoming a prayer room.

New Halal signs at all food outlets.

Extra stewards for racist chanting/comments about the blades been pigs

No alcohol to be served in public areas.

No games in Ramadan month.

Christ the list goes on (oops shouldn't say Christ)

If your an owl just come and be part of the family,if your not then go elsewhere.

(braces himself for the left wing verbal)

This is why this thread should have been in the Dressing Room.

Edited by eDDie