Why do we have so few black and mixed race supporters?

First of all, sorry for starting a new thread, I'd wanted to put it in the Racism thread, but it's locked. It probably warrants another thread anyway. While I don't believe our fan base is inherently racist, we still don't have many supporters from black or mixed race backgrounds. We never have in all the time I've supported the club

. At a time when a third of our current squad are black or mixed race, there are no more than a handful of black or mixed race supporters. I would say, less than one per cent, in fact much less. Certainly, in no way does it reflect society at large. I understand the situation with the Asian population, traditionally there's been little interest in that particular group in attending football matches, perhaps because there are so few role models.

However, football has changed, I would say that at least 25% of professional footballers playing in England, are of black or mixed race origins. Now as you are starting to see more and more black faces at football grounds around the country, Wednesday remain predominantly white. Why is this I wonder.

As someone of mixed race origin, I can honestly say I've never really encountered racism in any major form at a Wednesday match. An isolated comment to an opposing player, or a bit of moronic chanting at Leicester, but certainly nothing that would keep people away. In fact, as was shown in the racism thread, most Wednesday fans won't tolerate racism in any shape or form. So it's a mystery to me why we don't get more support from those communities. In over thirty years, I can name probably only a dozen black or mixed race faces who have at one time, or another, attended Hillsborough regularly.

Guest Big Guns

Is it true what mi mate said to me at work that u can't say half cast anymore woops bin saying that all my life

its true i think its 5 years in the slammer for saying that 

flipping PC brigades doing

In my (limited) experience Wednesday fans are Wednesday fans because their family or father were Wednesday fans. I suspect this to be the case of a lot of clubs. Wednesday don't really do anything to attract supporters when you think about it. I certainly don't think it's got anything to do with racism, I've not seen or heard any at the ground for years.

Encouraging new supports to come to watch football is incredibly hard. The number of fans at games who didn't first go with a family member (or friend) who already supported their club is probably really low. As a result it can take generations or a huge change in success to attract new supporters.

To change a demographic like you're asking it will take either a generation or league success. Sadly I think generations may be the faster option

Edited by Sultan_Pepper

In my (limited) experience Wednesday fans are Wednesday fans because their family or father were Wednesday fans. I suspect this to be the case of a lot of clubs. Wednesday don't really do anything to attract supporters when you think about it. I certainly don't think it's got anything to do with racism, I've not seen or heard any at the ground for years.

for lower league unfashionable clubs like us it is a generation thing that people pass down generations of Sheffielders.

If you are new to an area there is nothing really to attract you to any local teams so you stick with the Barcelonas, Man Utds etc of this world.

No neutral wants to "support" a club that isnt doing well or hasnt got a strong brand. In Finland the most supported team is Barca, even more so than any of the Finnish teams which depresses me greatly.

for lower league unfashionable clubs like us it is a generation thing that people pass down generations of Sheffielders.

If you are new to an area there is nothing really to attract you to any local teams so you stick with the Barcelonas, Man Utds etc of this world.

No neutral wants to "support" a club that isnt doing well or hasnt got a strong brand. In Finland the most supported team is Barca, even more so than any of the Finnish teams which depresses me greatly.

I hear what you're saying but even in outposts like Norwich, where they do have a sizeable racist element, you see more black faces than you do at Hillsborough