Our Academy/U21's

Why do we seem to be bringing in all these random young kids who can't make it at major clubs like Wigan?

Is there something wrong with our current crop of youngsters? Forgive me if I'm wrong, but I thought the concept of an academy was centred around developing local talent and hopefully seeing them rise through our ranks.

How many times have I heard people on this Forum state that we should "take a risk with some League 2 / Conference players" "Get the the next Vardy".

Well, these kids ARE the next Vardys. They are just being given an opportunity further up the pyramid, that's all.

Also, Lavery was one of those rejects.

Anyone not think we would be better off if he was fit rather than injured?

Peterborough make a tonne of money from buying from lower leagues then selling on

Kyel vassell is the next one they'll sell for a fortune

But they invest more than we do in players to start with which is obviously more risky but at the same time you arent trying to turn a pigs ear into a silk purse or whatever the phrase is

Why do we seem to be bringing in all these random young kids who can't make it at major clubs like Wigan?

Is there something wrong with our current crop of youngsters? Forgive me if I'm wrong, but I thought the concept of an academy was centred around developing local talent and hopefully seeing them rise through our ranks.

Already been stated, but Lavery was one of these "random young kids who can't make it at major clubs like Wigan". Bit if a daft comment that really, wasn't it?

There's nothing wrong with adding kids to our academy/development squad who are from outside Sheffield IMO. I just don't get the fuss about it.

The coaches at the academy see these young players develope and, some times, the players do not progress as fast as their club would like and so release them. Like we did with Varney.

Our coaches must see these players as having potential that our own players do not,at the moment, sometimes it works, Brunt,Whelan for example, whatever it is not a great gamble but a great way for us to look at other young players.

I doubt he's the next Vardy. If he is, we'd best let him go so he can bite us on the arse in 5yrs time :duntmatter:

I should have said that "These kids are the kind of players who could turn into the next Vardy. The majority of them will plummet down the leagues until playing in the 7th and 8th tiers and never be heard from again. But, you don't know if a player has it unless you give them a chance.

I should have said that "These kids are the kind of players who could turn into the next Vardy. The majority of them will plummet down the leagues until playing in the 7th and 8th tiers and never be heard from again. But, you don't know if a player has it unless you give them a chance.

or help grassroots football by allowing these players to play in lower leagues like Vardy did rather than being gobbled up by the top 2 leagues

as said i didnt realise we were in the 3rd tier of academy leagues. Whilst its a good thing to have, what actual level of kids are we REALLY getting, are they the equivalent of L1 players?

We aren't in the 3rd tier of academy leagues

We are category 2 which is the second tier of academy clubs

Also there are no academy leagues below u18 - and much of the time they are fairly meaningless as they often don't reflect the true worth of an academy

We aren't in the 3rd tier of academy leagues

We are category 2 which is the second tier of academy clubs

Also there are no academy leagues below u18 - and much of the time they are fairly meaningless as they often don't reflect the true worth of an academy

fair play. As said time will tell if our academy is worth it. Hopefully it will be.

Guest conisbrough

In the last year we have made large strides forward in the academy whichhave been well documented. Up to 12 months ago we did not have the structure in place to attract decent young schoolboy players. Hence the players we attracted before upgrade to junior teams were not onthe whole good enoughand had to be bolstered by players who had been let go by other clubs. The improvements in last 12 months will take time to work through but results this season show some improvement and we were able to attract 4 15/16 year olds from Manchester City academy which would have been unthinkable previously. Hopefully one or two of our current products i.e Betra / Stobbs will come through but it will be 3/4 years before funds put into grass roots structure show kind of return you want.