U21s

IF you have a small squad, where you can't really afford to be loaning anyone out but there's no reserve football it's the only way to keep them going with a bit of match play int it?

Seems a bit daft. It's its supposed to be an U21 league that's what it should be.

But if they enforced it there'd be loads of players training Monday to Friday and never playing any football.

Surely needs looking at.

Just a bloke. Being dragged along in a world that moves too quick for it's own good.

daft as it may seem I think jon has a valid point , surely the under 21's is geared to bring players through to perhaps achieve first team status ,therefore why bring under performing players from the first team into the under 21's which then omits some under 21's from getting gametime,seems arse upwards to me ,

I thought the development squad was implemented for a number of reasons. Firstly by scrapping the reserve system players recovering from injury need as much game time as possible, hence why there are a certain amount of over 21 players allowed.

Then there is the age group of 19-24 ish. Where players often used to get released by their club and too many end up in none league or falling ou the game all together. The development squad is a safety net for late developers and can help prevent players going all the way to the bottom and either having to work their way back up or in some cases never doing so and some real talent can be wasted. Just a few of quick examples are Jamie Vardy (we all know about him). Ryan Mason at Tottenham who was 23 when he made his full league debut against Arsenal at the weekend. He previously had 6 loan spells before breaking through as a bit of a late developer. I was at Halifax and also Ossett Albion with Cameron Jerome where he was released by Wednesday and then Middlesborough rejected him until Cardiff finally took a punt and the rest is history. The lesson is not all player progress and come of age at the same time.

I agree that the development games should be used for 'developemg' but its obvious there are many uses and we should utilise any that will benefit us .i just think a bit more patience is needed from some of our fan base with regards to the youth because if they are good enough they will get the chances regardless.

As for McCabe he's still only 22, Corry 23 and hopefully they are in the bracket of late developers who will come good. I am of the opinion though that they are good enough for league football and if possible should be loaned out. If McCabe is out of contract come the end of the season he has a hell of a lot of hard work to do to earn a new deal. I think it's slightly too soon to completely write them off having futures at Wednesday but I'm also not that confident they will progress.