It's time for the chairman to step up

Guest JonTheOwl66

Guest JonTheOwl66

But would he sell us, if we got to the PL with him in the chair?

I think he's always made it fairly clear he doesn't have the financial might to bankroll us in the Premier League. His statements have always seemed to suggest he would always look to sell upon promotion to the Premier League.

On the question of whether he has stepped up then I reckon he has.

Go through the summer signings - all of whom were vast improvements on last seasons squad.

For example - Lees & Loovens are far better than Llera and Taylor. Hutchinson is better than Prutton. Drenthe better than JJ and May strengthens what was a weak forward line.

In terms of new additions - I don't expect any and I would imagine Mandaric is happy with the way things are going. If things start to tail off and there is an urgent need to do business then I suspect the club may do something. As it stands, I don't see Mandaric willing to spend and potentially disrupting the harmony, momentum and confidence that Gray, his coaching staff and the players have currently built.

Edited by Liam_Baggies

While its going well as it is now I wouldn't disrupt the team morale, we are close knit at the moment.

If things tail off and we hit a bad patch, then that's when Milan needs to step in and provide the funds to stop it.

At the moment don't fix what's not broken.

Agree with rest of post though Jon, good post.

...this isn't about money it's about bringing the right players at the right time...I'm sure MM will accept that. Stepping up? No. Doing what he has been doing but now we've got the right people and attitude..yep..he know's what's needed as does SG and the rest of the back room staff.

Guest JonTheOwl66

What's with all this long term planning, debt reduction, year on year improvement and youth development? We want ambition lol

Sometimes you can't live your life by graphs and charts.

And if he invests heavily and it goes pear shaped then what? Back to where we were before. We invested heavily to try and compete in the Premier League and get into Europe, what followed was over 15 years of hurt. We cant go chucking silly money around and taking any gambles. Surely we have learned from the past.

Maybe if everyone who turned up today came to every home game, we would have some money to invest in the team.

I'm not expecting big signings. I'm expecting us to take advantage of this wonderful run and actually show some ambition to achieve our goals.

Realistically - the playoffs are nothing but a pipe dream at the moment. We could suffer several injuries in the next few weeks and lose 8 on the bounce.

We don't have enough quality cover in the fullback and wide positions at the moment.

your last comment is weird considering Helan and Buxton are on the bench.

Guest JonTheOwl66

your last comment is weird considering Helan and Buxton are on the bench.

I'd consider Helan more of a left midfielder in the current set-up. Bring another winger in then he can play fullback. 

Guest JonTheOwl66

And if he invests heavily and it goes pear shaped then what? Back to where we were before. We invested heavily to try and compete in the Premier League and get into Europe, what followed was over 15 years of hurt. We cant go chucking silly money around and taking any gambles. Surely we have learned from the past.

Maybe if everyone who turned up today came to every home game, we would have some money to invest in the team.

No idea where this has all come from.

I believe he will step up when the time is right.  As of now we are ticking along quietly under the radar.  Towards the end of the month we will bring someone else in, of that I'm confident.  If we need to bring anyone else in after that then I'm sure it will happen.

There's no point adding to the squad for the sake of it.  We have a decent squad at the moment.  The only areas I would personally look to strengthen are up top and on the wing, because I'm not convinced by Maghoma yet.  

We don't need big signings - we need shrewd signings like Westwood, Lees and Loovens.

If we'd paid half a million for each of those we'd be half a million for each of those we'd be saying we'd got a bargain.

Milan isn't about to change the seasons budget on the back of a good start. If we're still in the mix come January he might have a serious look.

Edited by RUMBELOWS91