That drop ball.

I didn't think they looked that solid actually, we got in behind them a number of times just lacked the final ball or finish. We also kept the ball MUCH better than they did, thought our midfield dominated theirs.

Yup. That's true. They were playing away, though. I wouldn't have been an unhappy bunny  if I werea Reading fan and May hadn't scored. I thought it was a good performance from them, all things considered. Which makes our victory that much better!

Drop balls do exist... most are now uncontested due to sportsmanship. Usually the team who didnt have posession will play it back to their opponents following the drop ball

^^^ this...hence the ensueing arguments, As said earlier, honesty from the Reading was needed. But then, with them using the "Billy Davis" pushing, tugging, diving, time wasting style tactics throughout, it was never going to happen.....some of the worst and one sided refereeing I've seen in a long time.

Reading were very good at 'winning' free kicks. The amount of times the ball went up to Nuhiu and he was being pushed or kicked at and we received nothing. Yet if Loovens tried intercepting balls up to cox/Murray they'd be straight on the floor and the ref would give a free kick.

Anytime anyone got behind Gunter or had him under pressure facing the wrong way he just hit the floor and got a free kick. Their 'keeper was incredibly slow with every goal kick second half as well.

An extremely frustrating team to watch BUT that would be considered a solid, professional away performance up until our goal. I think we were a bit too honest at times but I'd favour our approach over theirs any day.

Reading were very good at 'winning' free kicks. The amount of times the ball went up to Nuhiu and he was being pushed or kicked at and we received nothing. Yet if Loovens tried intercepting balls up to cox/Murray they'd be straight on the floor and the ref would give a free kick.

Anytime anyone got behind Gunter or had him under pressure facing the wrong way he just hit the floor and got a free kick. Their 'keeper was incredibly slow with every goal kick second half as well.

An extremely frustrating team to watch BUT that would be considered a solid, professional away performance up until our goal. I think we were a bit too honest at times but I'd favour our approach over theirs any day.

I agree with a lot of that.

Reading reminded me of Forest under Billy Davies today, cheated like fornicate and that drop ball situation was terrible sportsmanship from them

exactly what I said, what sort of example is that setting to the youth of today. everyone should play with a degree of good sportsmanship. That was a diabolical incident that the ref shouldnt have let happen. 

the ball didnt go out of play so technically it should be a drop ball, because we had possession "sportsmanship" normally leaves the drop ball uncontested but that reading tail was like no if its a drop ball we're contesting it.

love how stevie just went for the other lads leg, missed and the ball ricocheted to him only for him to win a free kick. there was somw karma there. a yellow card would have topped it off

You can't really blame the referee for the drop ball. All he can do is to ask the other team to pass it back to the keeper. If they refuse then it has to be a drop ball that's the laws of the game. The reaction we saw was more of shock of the players that they refused to just pass it back. I even think the ref was a bit shocked I mean he gave us one of only 2/3 free kicks after for the foul on May.

I'd forgive the referee for not knowing who had the ball when he stopped play as he was more concerned for the player that was down.

But he cannot push a player, his assistants (who were also poor) should be helping him out and Reading should be far more sporting.

You can't really blame the referee for the drop ball. All he can do is to ask the other team to pass it back to the keeper. If they refuse then it has to be a drop ball that's the laws of the game. The reaction we saw was more of shock of the players that they refused to just pass it back. I even think the ref was a bit shocked I mean he gave us one of only 2/3 free kicks after for the foul on May.

Yep. although he was appalling in general he got this right. He applied the laws of the game i.e. game is re-started by a dropped ball. Normally these days it has become the norm for drop balls to be uncontested with the team previously in possession being given the ball back by the opposition. It seems that Reading didn't want to return possession to us.

Guest Mancunian_Owl

To be honest, the referee lost control, looks like he and the linesman on the Southstand side just completely had a bad day at the office.

Once he got himself into that mess he had both players screaming at him the fans screaming at him and on a couple of occassions he just looked like he wanted the game over. Referee's f*ck up too somedays, and when he goes back and reviews his game he knows he will have made some bad errors.

I will say this he was cr-p for both teams should have been two penalties (at least) for SWFC and another one for Reading (we all saw the Loovens hand ball) and I also believe its the first game that Loovens has not been yellow-carded this season...... To be fair I text my bro after the third foul in 3 minutes saying Loovens was gonna get carded, never happened.

thats what got to me a little and made me more frustrated - seeing the likes of Murray, Cox and gunter hit the floor faster then some hookers knickers really riled me up - cheatfest at its greatest - slight contact - fall to your feet to earn a free kick .. stunk Hillsborough out with the lack of gamesmanship from Reading ..very very frustrating ... the number of times Guneter fell to ground when someone was behind him challenging him was disgusting!

the referee was absolutely garbage on saturday - utter tripe - forgot the fella's name as well .. but needless to say, he was absolute toilet

thats what got to me a little and made me more frustrated - seeing the likes of Murray, Cox and gunter hit the floor faster then some hookers knickers really riled me up - cheatfest at its greatest - slight contact - fall to your feet to earn a free kick .. stunk Hillsborough out with the lack of gamesmanship from Reading ..very very frustrating ... the number of times Guneter fell to ground when someone was behind him challenging him was disgusting!

the referee was absolutely garbage on saturday - utter tripe - forgot the fella's name as well .. but needless to say, he was absolute toilet

I would say Stevie May is no stranger to hitting the deck with the slightest contact.

I know for a fact that Mark Haywood is a massive pig fan and why he is allowed to referee Wednesday matches is beyond me.  I know this for a fact as he is the brother of my ex birds uncle.  Everytime he has officiated us, be it ref or assistant he has been bent.  Surely the FA have something in place if you have allegiances to a rival you shouldn't be able to officate???

I know for a fact that Mark Haywood is a MASSIVE pig fan and why he is allowed to referee Wednesday matches is beyond me.  I know this for a fact as he is the brother of my ex birds uncle.  Everytime he has officiated us, be it ref or assistant he has been bent.  Surely the FA have something in place if you have allegiances to a rival you shouldn't be able to officate???

A tad harsh, verging on libellous I'd say.