Player ratings

Ronio

Interesting ratings. Who were the players who were consistently beaten in the air from corners, it seemed like we had a real problem with their set plays

Agree...everyone one of their corners went to the far post and was headed back across goal by the same player....looked like Nuhio was marking him

Westwood- Kept us in the game, great penalty save and reaction save in the second half. What a signing. 10

Palmer- Solid and dependable as usual, got caught out a couple of times in the first half, but not complaining about his performance. 7

Loovens- Not his best display but still kept a clean sheet, a few awkward moments in defence which was unusual for him. 6

Lees- Quality quality player. Heading, positioning, calmness, tackling. Signing of the season. 9

Mattock- Same as Palmer, we'll worked corner routine with Maguire in the 2nd half which he nearly scored from. 7

Maguire- Form is dipping a bit for me, works hard but didn't come off for him today. On a few occasions he took an extra touch when he should have just smacked it, which is unlike him. 6

Semedo- Reyt game, different beast for the last 20 minutes skipping past players and making forward runs, love the man. 8

Coke- Poor today. Silly foul for the penalty and did his Cokey disappearing act once again, his inconsistency is such a shame. 5

Maghoma- Frustrating a couple of times when he had the ball in space and resulted in weak efforts on goal. Did a good job when he moved into the centre. He has great feet and balance, great to watch at times. 7

May- Thought he was quiet in the first but was superb in the second. Worked the channels well, never stopped running and had some decent attempts on goals. Bet he's a defenders nightmare with his movement. 8

Nuhiu- Quiter today, came alive a bit in the last 20, won some good flicks and held it up well. Absolutely shattered at the end. 7

Helan- Lad doesn't have a right foot does he? Dangerous option from the bench when oppositions are tiring he's lightning quick. 6

Hope- Liked the look of him, pacy and seemed to have the ball under control. 6

Westwood 8 looks good

Loovens 6 made a few errors today. They should have scored when he got out muscled and stayed down.

Lees 8 solid

Mattock 6.5 decent

Palmer 6 think we would be getting more from a fit Buxton

Maguire 6.5 okay

Coke 6 quiet. Definite penalty

Semedo 8.5 MOTM

Maghoma 7 played well, looks more at home playing centrally

May 7 lively

Nuihu 6.5 worked hard

Helan 7 excellent, key to our win and deserves a start

Hope 6 reasonable

Westwood 8

Palmer 7

Loovens 7

Lees 7

Mattock 7

Maguire 6 should have swapped with maghoma, again nothing much was happening on the flanks

Semedo 7

Coke 6

Maghoma 6

Nuhui 6

May 7 would score 15+ easy with through balls and crosses, actually got our best

crosses in when attacking byline too, nuhiu should have buried one, bargain buy.

we never look like scoring many or creating many chances

but we are solid, organised and hard working.

didnt look a chance we would get broken down from open play. defence, westwood and semedo deserve all the praise they are getting.

semi played a couple of decent passes down the wing to maghoma aswell.

coke almost lost his head today with the officials and their number 20 (what a (unt!) but still put a shift in, improved on the bolton game.

the officials were absolute dogshyte, we should have got a penalty for handball and maybe them too towards the end. the ref wasnt giving free kicks that mattered but then he magicked a foul from helan or dielna at the end to give reading another free kick.

nuhiu and may are starting to show signs they are gelling well and could produce a few goals hope looked lively aswell.

fully deserved win, ground it out. bring on city!

Westwood - 8 Saved a penalty a couple of other really good saves.

Mattock - 7 solid enough, some good attacking play.

Loovens - 7 Good pperformance.didn't win everything though.

Lees - 7 See Loovens.

Palmer - 6 Thought he was a bit poor today. Looks happier going forward.

Maghoma - 7 Carried a threat going forward but sometimes makes the wrong decision.

Semedo -8 Excellent at breaking up play. Even got into the box today!

Coke -7 Solid enough without setting the world on fire.

Macguire -5 Simple passes went astray, shooting poor. Be lucky to reyain his place on recent performances.

May -8 Never stopped running, scored and looked more threatening than he has before.

Nuhiu -7 Not his best match. Does hold the ball up well though.

Hope -6 I thought he had pace, I was wrong. Could and should have scored.

Helan -7 His pace gets us up the field quickly. Some decision making is iffy. Will be unlucky not to replave macguire against city.

Dielna -6 Not really on long enough to influence the game but slotted in no problem.

Overall not our best performance and Reading should have won. The officials were awful. Their penalty was a penalty but we should have had one for handball. Makes up for Bolton.

sums up my opinion on everyone, liked what you said about helan. Maguire was woeful today, tried to do too much and got it wrong, lost confidence and started getting the simple stuff wrong too. He can't be getting too many more chances, a few more games without improvement and if definitely say we should give someone else a chance. Westwood, lees and semedo were bloody immense.

Westwood - The penalty save plus 2 other quality stops kept us in the match...8

Palmer - More solid today after a couple of shacky performances...7

Mattock - Looking like a really solid and dependable LB now...7

Lees - Dominant display against some good Reading front men...8

Loovens - Apart from an error in the first half, looked his usual self...7

Maguire - Still not quite there yet this season for Maguire...6

Maghoma - Looked a lot more of a direct threat and had Reading on the back foot...7

Semedo - Put his body on the line on more than one occasion...8

Coke - Contributed with a decent shift today before his substitution...7

May - Good link up play and capped off the day with the winning goal...7

Nuhiu - Another great shift up front alrhough didn't get much joy from the ref today...7

Hope - Tried to put the Reading defence on the back foot and did okay...6

Helan - Took the pressure off late on with a couple of great surging runs...7

Dielna - Not on long enough to mark but looks a real unit!

MOM was Westwood for me today. Gunter and Norwood were constantly in the referees ear today and think this is why a lot of decisions went their way. Reading only really looked a danger at set pieces (quite a danger at that) but in open play thought Lees at the back was immense again. I do think we are missing that little bit of quality in the middle, whether that be Hutchinson OR Lee.

Edited by Babushka1867

Agree...everyone one of their corners went to the far post and was headed back across goal by the same player....looked like Nuhio was marking him

No it wasn't Nuhiu, it was Lees on the second and third occasion. They were a one trick pony at corners but we didn't learn our lesson on double up on the back stick.

No it wasn't Nuhiu, it was Lees on the second and third occasion. They were a one trick pony at corners but we didn't learn our lesson on double up on the back stick.

Yes I agree it was Lees after the first couple. I think they had a lad coming up from the back who was powerful in the air. Well worked routine that capitalised on this but we were slow to get to grips as your say.

Westwood 8 - Superb penalty save and stop from the header.

Palmer 7 - Not troubled defensively, good going forward.

Lees 8 -  Never puts a foot wrong, very calm

Loovens 7 - Made the one mistake when he was tackled by their forward, but otherwise solid.

Mattock 7 - Never troubled, solid.

MaGuire 6 - Seemed to be on the edge of game.

Coke 5 - He'd been taking a lot more responsibility this season, today was back to the old Coke.

Semedo 8 - Not great on the ball, but did everything else you expect from he. Closed down well and never gave Norwood any peace. Make some very clever forward runs.

Maghoma 6- Makes the wrong choice too often 

May 8 -  Really like his movement off the ball, superb work rate. 

Nuhiu 7 - Very subtle in link up play

Westwood 8 - I wasn't entirely sure of the need to bring in another keeper when we had Kirkland, but it's games like today that you realize why; I really rate Kirkland, but this guy is better. Great penalty save. Some other great stops in the game too, but most of all (and I do mean most of all) is his distribution. A keeper that can contribute in this respect is a great defensive outlet for a team in order to turn being under pressure to applying pressure.

Palmer 6 - I think he did only okay. I get frustrated most by his crossing. Same against Bolton and Birmingham too. He isn't the only who's guilty of poor delivery into the box, but it's an area that he must improve in. Defensively quite sound though.

Lees 8 -  Extremely dominant yesterday in keeping their forwards quiet. Still, both he and Loovens were struggling a little from their corners in the second half.

Loovens 7 - A couple of uncharacteristic slips but was mostly sound otherwise. As above with Lees, corners caused a concern.

Mattock 7 - Steady away. Delivery into the box not great either, but better than Palmer's.

Maguire 6 - Worked hard (always works hard) and deserves a 7 for that, but his forward play is lacking a cutting edge this season. I can see that he so desperately wants to get on the scoresheet with a worldy, but his long range shooting this season is poor. If he passed the ball half of the time when he gets in those positions I wouldn't begrudge him his misses, but since he always seems to shoot now (and poorly), it's starting to become a major gripe with him. I think if he stays in the team playing like this it'll only be due to his work rate (which is phenomenal, to be fair).

Coke 6 - Was very average overall. I thought he contributed at times better than some fans are saying, but he ultimately didn't impose himself enough.

Semedo 8 - Very good performance from him. Has at times this season been felt wanting as a central midfielder, but I thought yesterday he was very dominant. Competed fantastically, and mostly played it simple, even growing in confidence as the game drew on and actually making some decent contributions from an attacking point of view too.

Maghoma 8 - Gets an 8 for me because I thought he was our most likely player in the first half, and in the second as the game drew on looked very dangerous coming through the middle. Use of the ball can sometimes be less than optimal, that's true, but you have to give credit to his breaking from midfield first and foremost. That's three games now where we've looked much better when Maghoma's come more central.

May 8 -  I think he's going to be a great player for us. Fantastic work rate, but very dangerous also. Fitness permitting, I can see him bagging 20 for us this season. First half I thought he was guilty of some poor usage of the ball when out wide, but I'm tempted to mitigate for him by saying that the lack of bodies in the box to aim at was the main issue.

Nuhiu 7 - I thought he took a while to get into the game yesterday, but he finished the first half and continued throughout the second with some excellent contributions in holding the ball and laying it off. First half, I didn't think he was getting into the box enough, frustratingly so when the balls were going in there nevertheless, but that's always going to be an issue with Nuhiu because of his lack of pace. Ideally, he should pose more of an attacking threat in the box, but I don't want to reduce a striker's role to scoring alone so as to push this point because I think his other contributions to what we're about as a team is excellent. I think refs are penalising him far too much now as well.

Of the subs, Dielna wasn't on long enough, but I thought Hope and Hélan, in pariticular, made an excellent contribution towards the victory. Hélan actually using his pace is great to see.

The referee and his assistants were abysmal. Not actually that bad in the first half (although I really think he should have dealt with Cox's antics with the free kick more emphatically), but the second half was a terrible display by the three of them. Those two handballs (one for either side) were about as clear as you're going to get, and I have no idea how they collectively managed to miss them.

Westwood - 9 Superb

Palmer - 7 Steady

Loovens - 7 One mistake, but solid otherwise

Lees - 7 Great during open play, but beaten every time by Pearce on their corners

Mattock - 8 Fantastic today

Maguire - 6 In and out again

Semedo - 8 He's magic you know

Coke - 6 Off the pace at times

Maghoma - 7 Better today, but faded

May - 8 Great workrate, and superb work down the channels

Nuhiu - 7 Worked hard, should have had a pen

Edited by royalowlisback