Antonio

Problem is with Antonio we relied on him way too much

At forest he's one of the many talented players

Assombalonga Burke Osborn etc so hes not relied on as heavily

Since he's gone we work as a team and its better for us

Agreed and I think more of our other players have stepped up to the plate, taken on more responsibility and are playing better because of his absence

I know he gets mixed opinions on here but think its a shame we sold him. I know we got Stevie out of the deal but seems to be having great start to season. Great goal tonite. Won a pen. Assisted Patersons goal. Few goals n assists already this season. Seems to have fit in well there. Would have been interesting to see him play in our new confident style of play. If it's right he wanted to go n play with better players then so be it, hope that bites him in the bum.

He will carry on doing what he's doing at Forest for a year or 2 and then move on again after going stale. It's just what some players are like.

It wasn't a great price, and again we've let a player go cheap. That's what's got us into trouble in the past, not splashing out big money, but underselling our assets In that respect, we never seem to learn

Dispute that. We got caught with under achieving players on big contracts. Classic drain on finances that has seen too many clubs go to the wall.

You can only get what a buying club will pay. Given a choice of receiving say £1.8m (we don't really know)  for a player who looked like he might not be fitting in under Gray or keeping a restless player then I'd personally gladly take the former. True Reading receive a cut but against this no doubt there are add on in the deal for us too. If we'd played hard ball we might have lost out on May and my gut feeling is that in the long term we'll be well pleased with the in/out business.

Edited by Dagmeister

At the moment he won't be thinking this. There's a lot of sour grapes here, Antonio is on fire at the moment, the stats prove it Goals and assists galore.

Its not sour grapes from me, I think Antonio is a quality player and I wish he was still with us. Just think Forest will miss out on promotion. UTO

At the moment he won't be thinking this. There's a lot of sour grapes here, Antonio is on fire at the moment, the stats prove it Goals and assists galore.

Yes good luck to him. As has been said before sometimes players need a change. We have May and Lees (not directly linked to the MA sale) and  maybe a bit of change) whilst losing Antonio. Good business for us and Forest I'd say. Perhaps the only losers are Leeds and even then perhaps he'd have continued to founder if he'd stayed there.

Edited by Dagmeister

Gung-ho Forest side. Gray clearly wants wide men who'll be as much use in our half of the pitch as the oppositions.

If he thinks that Maguire and Maghoma are better at that than Antonio then I'll trust his judgement.

After all. Here's a man who's got  us clean sheets with Zayyatte!

Gung-ho Forest side. Gray clearly wants wide men who'll be as much use in our half of the pitch as the oppositions.

If he thinks that Maguire and Maghoma are better at that than Antonio then I'll trust his judgement.

Indeed and the real Maguire has yet to step up this season.

Guest Mancunian_Owl

I know he gets mixed opinions on here but think its a shame we sold him. I know we got Stevie out of the deal but seems to be having great start to season. Great goal tonite. Won a pen. Assisted Patersons goal. Few goals n assists already this season. Seems to have fit in well there. Would have been interesting to see him play in our new confident style of play. If it's right he wanted to go n play with better players then so be it, hope that bites him in the bum.

Thriving in a setup that suits him, all the best to the lad, will be similar echos from when we sold Whelan and Brunty.

However SWFC have gone on to win 5 draw 3 and lose 1 game out of our opening 9 games in all competitions. My sentiment is there are no coincidences, we sold Antonio brought in Lees, Drenthe and May and have had a great start. Would we have had the same start with Antonio and no May? 

Ideally we would have 4 wide players in the squad.  At the moment we have two plus Drenthe on loan.  Even if you can argue that Maguire and Maghoma are better footballers, Antonio would be one hell of an option to have on the bench and offers something different (pace and power). 

Last season he was plagued by injuries this season he looks back to full fitness and form.  It's a shame we had to sell him to bring in other players. 

Agree, that's why it's difficult to criticise our lack of creativity. It's easier to play football in such a cavalier fashion when you have the resources to buy talented players to make that work for you. We don't have the luxury of being able to afford such players. When we did have one, we sold him to patch up the team in other areas. Antonio has gone on to bigger and better things, let's be pleased for the lad, he rarely let us down when he was here

Dispute that. We got caught with under achieving players on big contracts. Classic drain on finances that has seen too many clubs go to the wall.

Still think we have done this with Kirkland as our back-up. He must be on a decent contract and to me this money could have been spent on the creative player we are all crying out for.

Given that Antonio himself stated he had got too confortable here when he left I find it very hard to believe he would have performed for us as he has for Forest so far this season. I think we would have been far more likely to see the frustrating Antonio of the back end of last season. I may be very wrong about that but that is my opinion.

I will always look back on him favourably though after the promotion season and the first season back in the championship.

People just see him performing well for Forest and presume he would have replicated that here this season but its not that simple.

Given that Antonio himself stated he had got too confortable here when he left I find it very hard to believe he would have performed for us as he has for Forest so far this season. I think we would have been far more likely to see the frustrating Antonio of the back end of last season. I may be very wrong about that but that is my opinion.

I will always look back on him favourably though after the promotion season and the first season back in the championship.

People just see him performing well for Forest and presume he would have replicated that here this season but its not that simple.

I agree, Stuart Gray obviously saw this too and reading between the lines I would say Antonio was the player Gray had been referring to in certain conversations when he'd said, some players don't do as you tell them whether you tell them once or 20 times.

I agree, Stuart Gray obviously saw this too and reading between the lines I would say Antonio was the player Gray had been referring to in certain conversations when he'd said, some players don't do as you tell them whether you tell them once or 20 times.

Let's not kid ourselves, we had to sell Antonio, the money was needed elsewhere.

Still think we have done this with Kirkland as our back-up. He must be on a decent contract and to me this money could have been spent on the creative player we are all crying out for.

Yeah maybe though its possible that Kirkland was starting to feel the wear and tear on his body a bit last season. I wouldn't be surprised if he sat down with Gray to thrash out a deal that reflected that he would be Westwood's understudy.  It may well be a good fit for both player and club. I expect CK to play in every cup game this season.... however far we progress and cover for Westwood in the league. That way we get excellent keeper cover whilst the youngsters develope without breaking the bank...... maybe; just hypothesising!