Joe mattock

has improved no end this year but was never that bad in the first place. played in reda johnsons position which automatically made him unpopular with our (rather large) stupid brigade

was pretty bad in this game amongst others.

Could have done a lot better with the 2nd goal Fedor it has to be said, although Kirkland's error was even worse

But I do like that you chose to use a game in which he smashed in a 30 yard screamer, to show how bad he was.

Poor lad

I've always liked Mattock but lets not try and act clever now he's playing well. Anybody saying he was decent last season is just lying and trying to make themselves look good. He had many bad games and made lots of errors. By the way he was at fault for the first goal too despite his consolation.

Edited by Fedor

For me I think he was a bit unlucky at times, injury here, harsh sending off there and things never really got going for him,

That said I think he was generally unfit ( his own fault probably ) which led to the niggling injuries and also the sort of errors we aren't seeing anymore, looks trimmer and more athletic this season, and his football is benefiting from it no end

Edited by Lee A

For me I think he was a bit unlucky at times, injury here, harsh sending off there.

That said I think he was generally unfit ( his own fault probably ) which led to the niggling injuries and also the sort of errors we aren't seeing anymore, looks trimmer and more athletic this season, and his football is benefiting from it no end

So you agree with me then.

I also think he was unlucky at times. Every mistake he made seemed to cost us where as the likes of Reda got away with mistakes.

Took him time to settle.

Perhaps he was a bit worried about whether the fans would take to him, what with him chinning that bird in the nightclub previously and our obsession here with off pitch behaviour.

But he's come in this year played well and proved the adage, play well and it's ok. Play badly and your a rotten egg who needs selling.

utter nonsense

Why is it? Who was better? Reda? He was a disaster area defensively and the only reason he played was his size and threat at set pieces. Mattock like Maguire and Lee was bombed out as soon as Dave Jones signed him, made to play at right back and then the boo boys jumped on him. He lost his confidence like Lees did at Leeds and now playing for a decent man manager who can motivate players and in a great team. We are now seeing exactly what a good player he is.

Toward the end of our first season back in the championship reda had got to grips with the defensive side of the game. Particularly as we weren't so stretched.

Last season though reda struggled for fitness and that gave mattock the chance. He's slowly embedded himself into the team, a consistent 6-7 out of ten player.

At last he is looking like the defender he obviously was when he moved for decent money earlier in his career.

Up until this season he was poor for us. See exhibit A from Fedor. Lets face it he only played last season when Reda was injured. Albeit too often!

Has he become technically a better player during the pre-season? No. However, what he has done is become much fitter and is showing the basic desire and work hard needed to utilise his talent. That is exactly why the likes of myself and others were rightly so critical of him because it was clear that it was a lack of effort, fitness, desire whatever you wish to call it that was holding him back. If a player isn't good enough then fine but when it's down to lack of effort it's the ultimate sin for me.

I have to say it’s great to see him looking fitter and sharper and now playing like the accomplished Champ left back he was always capable of being. Yet again lots of credit must go to Gray/Bullen and Mattock himself for buying into it.

He's been good this season. Love to see that continue and at his young age could get better too. I hope he does. Fair play to him.

Why is it? Who was better? Reda? He was a disaster area defensively and the only reason he played was his size and threat at set pieces. Mattock like Maguire and Lee was bombed out as soon as Dave Jones signed him, made to play at right back and then the boo boys jumped on him. He lost his confidence like Lees did at Leeds and now playing for a decent man manager who can motivate players and in a great team. We are now seeing exactly what a good player he is.

I agree with much of that but whilst there were contributory reasons for his initial poor form; to say he was our best left back from the day he signed is wide of the mark IMO. He struggled quite often when given opportunities although there were always glimpses that there was a player there. He looks in better condition this season too.

Toward the end of our first season back in the championship reda had got to grips with the defensive side of the game. Particularly as we weren't so stretched.

Last season though reda struggled for fitness and that gave mattock the chance. He's slowly embedded himself into the team, a consistent 6-7 out of ten player.

On what I've seen this season he's more like a consistent 7/8. Very good Championship full back now.

Edited by Dagmeister

lets be honest here (and i'm a big fan of Mattock) - up to this season he's been a pretty poor signing ... poor form, poor defending and some really silly decisions. his confidence was probably lower then a snakes belly!

but this year he's come on leaps and bounds in terms of form and consistency - lot lot better! puts in a shift, surprinsingly good in the air given his height, strong in the tackle, great first touch and what i like about him is that he always wants to play a bit of football and shift the ball on the deck instead of hoofing it down the line all the time!