Reading Fan Chat – Sheff Wed v Reading

daib0

A. Pleased with the start, personally be pleased with a top half finish.

B. As more teams get parachute payments it does get harder. Norwich, Forest, Derby will be up there. As others have said, Leeds and Rovrum at home will be tasty derbies.

C. Lees is a very good player at cb. Hutchinson is class but injured. May is settling in nicely. Some of our existing squad has improved noticably from last season.

D. Couldn't believe we scored 5 goals! Was a turning point in our season.

E. For me Reading are a bit vanilla. You'll probably finish a bit higher than us on the cusp of the play-offs.

F. Hard to say not having seen you this season. On our day we can beat anyone in this league. We will be hard to beat but we don't score many so a tight game 2-1 or 1-1.

Can Drenthe even play?

We were ... let down at the end, I'm sorry to say.

See these threads on him, and you see people getting tired ...

Royston Drenthe - http://royalsrendezvous.co.uk/topic/9903033/1

Drenthe wanted Feyenoord return, not RFC - http://royalsrendezvous.co.uk/topic/9977223/1

Drenthe's Injury - Genuine or not? - http://royalsrendezvous.co.uk/topic/9991078/1

Drenthe - http://royalsrendezvous.co.uk/topic/10023395/1

Did RFC try to force Drenthe out in Jan? - http://royalsrendezvous.co.uk/topic/10084809/1 

But if it works for you, then I'll happily and sincerely applaud ... 

apart from the posters which is of course what makes a place, the sections all-lined up on the front page makes it interesting to find one's way about. I don't like sites like TWTD (Ipswich) or the Ugly Inside (Saints) to name two, where absolutely everything is bunged up together, and you come back two days later and you can't find it 'cos it's on page 11 !!

A]
** I imagine you’re not too unhappy about the start to the season – almost in play-offs, and fairly good play on the pitch. What are your hopes this season?

Top half is achievable and will do nicely, as long as the injury situation doesn't get any worse than it already is, as long as we keep playing a good brand of football and improve our home record a bit I'm perfectly happy. The championship's a tough league, you've got to be slow and steady in your approach.

B]

** Is the Championship getting harder year by year? Who do you see as the main candidates for promotion? Any special match this year that you definitely don’t want to miss?

I said before the season Wigan, as much as they've lost a few good players and started slowly I still see them being at least play-off candidates. Norwich would have to be my pick for automatic, their squad is just ready-made to win this league. Forest and Derby should be there or thereabouts, those two are the games I usually look forward to most, along with the games against the scum Leeds. You lot should be there or thereabouts come the end of the season and I backed Wolves and Blackburn to turn a few heads. Oh yeah and I want to see us beat Rotherham, I'm going to cry if we don't. The championship is certainly getting harder, for me there is a divide emerging between those who have big money foreign investors and/or parachute payments coming in, and those who don't. Unfortunately for us this divide could start to hurt us quite badly over time.

C]

**  Any notable changes to your squad in the summer?

Let go of the iconic Reda Johnson and sold your old player Antonio to Forest for 1.5 million to fund a deal for 28 goal Scottish striker Stevie May who scored for us yesterday. Brought in Keiren Westwood for keeper who's been an absolute rock, as has Tom Lees who was bizarrely let go on a free by Leeds.  As you in all likelihood know we have Drenthe on loan as well as Hallam Hope from Everton, but other than that a few key contract renewals were the main order of business in the summer.

D]

** Going back to last season and the corresponding fixture – and your chance to gloat at the Royals! I believe that stunning 5-2 victory was actually your first of the season, whilst for Reading in play-off positions it was a blow from which confidence wavered afterwards. Any memories to share of that game?

Not really, it was half-term week and I had to spend one of the weekends on business, so I chose to go and watch us away at Barnsley in a dire 1-1 draw where we were abysmal until the last half-hour, meaning I missed the Reading match the next weekend. Suffice to say I rather regretted my decision! Was in Scunthorpe on the date of our away game too so haven't seen us play you in rather a while.

E]

** Anyway, any general views on Reading FC (you can be frank!) and how do you see Reading doing this season?

You're a solid side with a solid manager who despite Pochettino's success should never have been sacked by Southampton (not that I think you should have gotten rid of McDermott either). I fully expect you to finish in the top 10 bare minimum, you've quite simply got a well built side who work well together. I think your main problem is psychological, you under-achieve because you show too much respect to the opposition, not sure your players always realise that in actual fact they're mostly better than their opposition.. Also, as much as I don't generally mind you as a football club to be brutally honest your atmosphere is a bit crap.

F]

** Finally, how do you see Saturday’s game going? A score prediction if you haven’t left it in another place on the site or could just make it that bit easier for me?!

I'm going to go 1-1 (which I'd take going into it), we're not great goal-scorers and we tend to be underwhelming at home, mainly because we do have a tendency of getting on the player's backs and because of the split in fans between kop and north stand the atmosphere can be flat at times. However we don't get intimidated by the "bigger" sides in the division so I'd fancy us for a point.

All the best to you too, never had a problem with Reading (which believe me is pretty rare) and you seem a pretty decent bloke.

May the best team win, and when we do I'll be logging onto Royals Rendezvous to remind you that we did  :biggrin:

Guest conisbrough

1. Good start but couldand shoud have been even better.

2. Yes and will continue to do so. Norwich Wigan,Forest and Derby will all be in contention.

3. We play as a unit, first ime in years we actually look like a team. Hence all side look functional. Would imagine we are very difficult to play against.

4. Though we were certain to lose we were not playing well and Reading had a good run of results against us. Biggest surprise of year to me won and actually played ok. Thought your guys played kamikaze football and paid penalty as a result.

5. Actually live in Caversham and occasionally get to Reading games, Last year seemed to lose your way and team generally looked out of sorts. Not seen you play this season but you have good manager who looks tohave sorted out the team.

6. Expect few if any goals we have been tight defensively but only scored one at home in league. If Reading defence is good could be a 0 -0.

All the best to you too, never had a problem with Reading (which believe me is pretty rare) and you seem a pretty decent bloke.

May the best team win, and when we do I'll be logging onto Royals Rendezvous to remind you that we did  :biggrin:

Cheers, we set up Royals Rendezvous half-a-year before the BBC 606 went down, because we were the core group of the Reading board there, and a group that liked chatter and banter, but not being pests to other fans or wanting to get a lot of pointless WUMs/trolls either. Our philosophy is "Rivals, but Friends" and we mean it, and that would include us mods editing anything out from our own fans on these threads if necessary, but it's almost never needed nowadays as we've developed into a pretty sociable group and they know we all want to enjoy itl!  Doesn't mean we haven't got passion, far from it,  but to do it in a sociable and pleasurable way  ...

:cool: