Reading Fan Chat – Sheff Wed v Reading

daib0

Saturday 20th September, 2014  (Championship)

As always, friendly greetings from daib0 and guys & gals on the Reading ‘Royals Rendezvous’ forum. Close season has come and gone, and we’re business as usual again. So onto Saturday’s game – and I wondered if I could have a few views from yourselves to inform the members on my forum. Anyone can say what they like about the game, but here I’d like to point  you all towards a few ideas which will surely help us in the Thames Valley! So here goes – just a few basic easy things:

Here are my specific questions for you to chew on for a second  -

A]
** I imagine you’re not too unhappy about the start to the season – almost in play-offs, and fairly good play on the pitch. What are your hopes this season?

B]

** Is the Championship getting harder year by year? Who do you see as the main candidates for promotion? Any special match this year that you definitely don’t want to miss?

C]

**  Any notable changes to your squad in the summer?

D]

** Going back to last season and the corresponding fixture – and your chance to gloat at the Royals! I believe that stunning 5-2 victory was actually your first of the season, whilst for Reading in play-off positions it was a blow from which confidence wavered afterwards. Any memories to share of that game?

E]

** Anyway, any general views on Reading FC (you can be frank!) and how do you see Reading doing this season?

F]

** Finally, how do you see Saturday’s game going? A score prediction if you haven’t left it in another place on the site or could just make it that bit easier for me?!

Your forum will be given as the fan forum recommended site for our fans to look in at  … and any snippet quoted will be fully credited with the member user name + forum.

All the best lads …

daib0/David

Can't answer all that as at work but Our Gert is a Royal so we get to a few of your games. I enjoyed our double last season but relations were frosty afterwards!

I think you'll do well to be in the play offs this season due to the turnover of players... a lot of the old guard have left and the new guys are bedding in, some quality in there but it takes time.

Prediction is 2-1 Reading but only because I don't want to jinx us :)

Hopes are to win the league, anything else is a failure.

Championship is harder every year for teams like us, because you lot and your rich boy friends keep buying all the good players with your failure money for getting relegated.

We managed to shift some deadwood and sign some proven quality on frees such as Westwood and Loovens. Stevie May and Tom Lees were our only fees we paid out and are big signings too.

Only real memories of that 5-2 was being bewildered that we'd even scored a goal, never mind winning. And also how poor you guys were .

Reading will do alright this season, you've made a big mistake letting big Roy leave and he'll guide us to the league title, whilst your flounder in mid table mediocrity.

Wednesday 14 - 4 Reading.

WAWAW

I see Reading as a bit of a plastic club. The Reading Staduim is just another souless identikit staduim in middle of nowhere. But on the pitch over last ten years you have generally been miles better then Wednesday.

We are doing better then we expected this season, In my opinion a solid if unspectacular side.

Championship is geting more and more like the Premier league where its more a competition of who has the chairman with the deepest pockets.

On the game Saturday I predict 2-0 win for Wednesday.

A]
** I imagine you’re not too unhappy about the start to the season – almost in play-offs, and fairly good play on the pitch. What are your hopes this season?
Delighted with our start, but there is more to come from us and weirdly I almost feel disappointed that we haven't taken more points than we have done. Certainly, wins against Millwall and Bolton (two of our draws) wouldn't have been out of place. Our defence has been immense, having only conceded 2 goals from open play and keeping 4 clean sheets in the process. This season might be a stretch too far for us in terms of the Play Offs but with the best team spirit and quality of players that we've had for a long time I think at this stage most of us would be quite disappointed not to finish inside the top half. 

B]

** Is the Championship getting harder year by year? Who do you see as the main candidates for promotion? Any special match this year that you definitely don’t want to miss? I wouldn't say it's getting harder but each year there are more and more ex Prem teams and more teams carrying the parachute payments. FFP is supposed to control some of this. Money isn't everything, just look at Fulham. For promotion it's got to be Norwich, Forest, Watford, Wolves and Derby. Yes most of them are already at the top but it's for good reason. Special match, any of the derbys Rovrum and Weeds are always tasty. 

C]

**  Any notable changes to your squad in the summer? TOM LEES TOM LEES AND TOM LEES. Kieran Westwood and Stevie May. They're all just great aren't they.  :wub: 

D]

** Going back to last season and the corresponding fixture – and your chance to gloat at the Royals! I believe that stunning 5-2 victory was actually your first of the season, whilst for Reading in play-off positions it was a blow from which confidence wavered afterwards. Any memories to share of that game? Loved our games against you last season  :tongue: not any particular memories but two cracking performances by us. It seemed that our style of play was too much for you. We are even better now too.  :ph34r: 

E]

** Anyway, any general views on Reading FC (you can be frank!) and how do you see Reading doing this season?

A very well behaved team, not nawty enough for me. Don't travel too well and usually sit down at away games. No offence. You'll probably be in that top 9 for me. 

F]

** Finally, how do you see Saturday’s game going? A score prediction if you haven’t left it in another place on the site or could just make it that bit easier for me?!

It's going to be 0-0 I'm afraid. Don't know why. 

Edited by TheEnchanter

-

A]

The start we've had has been better than even the most optimistic of Wednesdayites could have hoped for, we've become very difficult to beat with solid defensive displays, but are also playing better football further up the pitch than we have in previous years, still room for improvement but the early signs are good.

Personally, I think the squad still lacks the strength in depth and a sufficiently regular supply of goals to mount a challenge for the top 6, but a respectable top half finish is certainly not beyond us

Edited by Lee A

A]

Its not perfect given the points we have dropped have cost us. Millwall being one but having said that we can only improve on our mistakes and i believe this squad can do that if we dont get any bad injuries

B]

** Is the Championship getting harder year by year? Who do you see as the main candidates for promotion? Any special match this year that you definitely don’t want to miss?

No i dont think it is tbh its a close league where anything can happen. Id like us to get promoted but wouldnt every fan and i cant wait for Leeds at home. Last home game and if there is places to play for its going to be nwarty

C]

Westwood and May but they look like they have been in the team for years

D]

** Going back to last season and the corresponding fixture – and your chance to gloat at the Royals! I believe that stunning 5-2 victory was actually your first of the season, whilst for Reading in play-off positions it was a blow from which confidence wavered afterwards. Any memories to share of that game?

Yeah that result kickstarted us and we beat Leicester the following game

E]

who? 

F]

2-1  either way

A) pleased

B) Norwich, have the fire power and depth. Derby will be up there. Hope Forest become the new Cardiff and flop at the last hurdle.

C) Lees looks a decent signing so far

D) I particularly enjoyed reading that you guys thought you were gonna walk all over last season and you'd beat us easily.

E) Glenn Murray and Simon Cox could form a lethal partnership, but like us, I think your season will depend on injuries to key players.

F) closer game than last season.

Edited by Rogers

I don't want to get my teeth into that lot but will attempt to answer last seasons Hillsborough meeting.

My bottom line is that I don't think Adkins is a very good manager. He was left a gem of a squad when we got Brian Laws and he left The Iron in a very good place.

In terms of luck, his stats at the Iron meant he was to inherit the nucleus of The Saints premier bound squad and the rest is history.

He has a persona of quiet smiling arrogance and brought his Royals to Hillsborough with one plan and no little disrespect for the floundering Owls. His one and only plan was to brush us aside with a 3-5-2 with an accent very much on playing 4 up top.

To be fair your team looked more than capable of delivering us another mauling for the first 15 minutes. But being forced to play deeper than we would have liked, we grew into the game and even developed a threat on the break. Adkins could and should have adjusted his formation and walked away from Hillsborough with the spoils of a tight game. But the game was turned on its head, still with 4 up top we were allowed to pick you off, almost at will in some respects you were a little lucky to get away with 5 it could have been worse.

This should have served as a wake up call for a team that had the credentials for a Premiership assault but Adkins proved not to have sufficient strings to his bow and feel that his descent will ultimately prove to be as rapid as his rise.

As for Saturdays game I still see a Reading side that should have too much for us as we are more than a little twitchy at home. However, The Wednesday are an enigma that thrives in adversity and falls at the simplest of hurdles...A real throw of the coin game that could go either way !

Fingers crossed enjoy your day but not the result.      

thanks a lot, that's a great cross-selection of replies. I know Reading has got a wee bit of a 'plastic' connotation, but there are also loads of fans (like me) that remember the club in the old third and fourth division, and we never used to run off to see Chelsea or Arsenal. Tried to make it a nice thread, because we on Royals Rendezvous have got a lot of respect for other fans. And you also do seem to be a team on the up now, so views are interesting to read. Keep 'em coming in!!

I imagine you’re not too unhappy about the start to the season – almost in play-offs, and fairly good play on the pitch. What are your hopes this season? 10th

Is the Championship getting harder year by year? Who do you see as the main candidates for promotion? Any special match this year that you definitely don’t want to miss? Think the championship does get harder every year, Most of time If you got no real Investment, Well I predicted the top 2 to be Norwich City and Fulham  :mellow: and I definatly don't want to miss the Leeds games. 

Any notable changes to your squad in the summer? We look more together as a team, Better Quality players have been brought In and It seems to be paying of so far. 

Going back to last season and the corresponding fixture – and your chance to gloat at the Royals! I believe that stunning 5-2 victory was actually your first of the season, whilst for Reading in play-off positions it was a blow from which confidence wavered afterwards. Any memories to share of that game? â€‹Amazing Victory, Completely dominated proceedings, We couldn't buy a win before hand then they serve up that. 

Anyway, any general views on Reading FC (you can be frank!) and how do you see Reading doing this season? I predicted Reading to finish 7th, As a club You've done extremely well In last 9 years, Better than us.

Finally, how do you see Saturday’s game going? A score prediction if you haven’t left it in another place on the site or could just make it that bit easier for me?!  2-0 (Maguire and Nuhiu)

A - Absolutely flabbergasted by our start. We're like...winning games and stuff. It's weird. Our defenders don't panic every time the ball is near them. I don't expect us to really challenge though, unless we can find ourselves a midfielder that can attack and a more consistent winger.

B - I do have money on Norwich to win the league. But Watford are my outside bet as well. Personally, I can't wait to play Leeds at home in late April and relegate them.

C - Tom Lees and Glen Loovens have formed a defensive partnership that will struggle to be rivalled in this league. Both are just ridiculously composed. Hutchinson is our best player...but he's struggling with injuries. Stevie May is really beginning to settle into the side now. You'll be facing him at his most dangerous so far. Oh, and Kieran Westwood is some sort of brick wall in net.

D - I remember that I wasn't going to go to the match because Jones had made us so miserable to watch. Only the fact that I had a season ticket and the prospect of Wickham's debut got me to the game. I regret nothing...it was a tremendous performance and you were lucky to just concede 5.

E - I think losing Morrison was a big blow for you defensively, but Cox and Murray have plenty of goals in them. You're fans aren't great at the whole atmosphere thing.

2-1 to Wednesday. Lees and May.

Edited by FlyingOwl

Saturday 20th September, 2014 (Championship)

As always, friendly greetings from daib0 and guys & gals on the Reading ‘Royals Rendezvous’ forum. Close season has come and gone, and we’re business as usual again. So onto Saturday’s game – and I wondered if I could have a few views from yourselves to inform the members on my forum. Anyone can say what they like about the game, but here I’d like to point you all towards a few ideas which will surely help us in the Thames Valley! So here goes – just a few basic easy things:

Here are my specific questions for you to chew on for a second -

A] ** I imagine you’re not too unhappy about the start to the season – almost in play-offs, and fairly good play on the pitch. What are your hopes this season?. Mid table at Xmas and buy again inJan for play off push

B]

** Is the Championship getting harder year by year? Who do you see as the main candidates for promotion? Any special match this year that you definitely don’t want to miss?. Probably Norwich to win league, but could do with playing Fulham and Cardiff before they turn around. We play Leeds last home game so should be interesting.

C]

** Any notable changes to your squad in the summer?. We have got rid of some more league 1 players and replaced with some quality. Lees at centre half and Stevie May up front plus gk Westwood from Sunderland.

D]

** Going back to last season and the corresponding fixture – and your chance to gloat at the Royals! I believe that stunning 5-2 victory was actually your first of the season, whilst for Reading in play-off positions it was a blow from which confidence wavered afterwards. Any memories to share of that game?. Antonio being on a personal crusade, we drew to many games early on which we could have won so it wasn't surprising someone took a beating. We missed a trick there by not playing the darts music when the 5th went in, just to wipe the memory of losing 5-0 at your place the other season.

E]

** Anyway, any general views on Reading FC (you can be frank!) and how do you see Reading doing this season?. Depends on your takeover but may just be a mid table championship side.

F]

** Finally, how do you see Saturday’s game going? A score prediction if you haven’t left it in another place on the site or could just make it that bit easier for me?!. We struggle to score at home so could be 0-0.

Your forum will be given as the fan forum recommended site for our fans to look in at … and any snippet quoted will be fully credited with the member user name + forum.

All the best lads … . Good luck for the season, after Saturday that is.

daib0/David

Edited by pride_of_the_road

A] 

Happy with the start.  Hoping for top 10 if not the playoffs.

B]

Championship is a great league where everyone beats everyone else BUT money is ruining it just like the Prem.  I don't want to miss Wigan away.

C]

Tom Lees is a great addition.

D]

Loved it when Antonio scored - really annoyed my friends who are Reading fans.

E]

Not a team I like.  I went to Uni in Reading and often went to the Madjeski.  Very quiet fans who seem to hate QPR for no good reason.  But you guys hate Aldershot FC so in my book, that is a good thing...

F]

1-2 to us

Drenthe x2

A]

Happy with the start. Hoping for top 10 if not the playoffs.

B]

Championship is a great league where everyone beats everyone else BUT money is ruining it just like the Prem. I don't want to miss Wigan away.

C]

** Any notable changes to your squad in the summer?

Tom Lees is a great addition.

D]

Loved it when Antonio scored - really annoyed my friends who are Reading fans.

E]

Not a team I like. I went to Uni in Reading and often went to the Madjeski. Very quiet fans who seem to hate QPR for no good reason. But you guys hate Aldershot FC so in my book, that is a good thing...

F]

1-2 to us

Drenthe x2

Just to let you know daib0, the response you're looking for to this post is 'F off Bez'