Situations Vacant

Guest mkowl

A position is available to take on the Sheffield Wednesday Supporters Club back office role and with it the ability to influence the direction and activities of the entity.

I have decided once and for all to step away. There is no flounce just a simple acceptance on my part, that my ego has denied until now, that i have neither the time available or mindset to commit to what is required.

Therefore if anyone wants the position please come forward

Guest Deleted member

Sorry to hear that Kevin, but fully understand.

I know only too well the time required for this kind of stuff, and (as this section demonstrates) the generally thankless task it is, and the abuse that goes with the territory.

Personally, I don't know why anyone would do it tbh

Kevin, with regards to what you mentioned in the Wednesdayite thread about me taking it on. If I'm honest with myself I don't think I have the skills to take something like this on. My skills lie with budget setting, cost control, forecasting, reporting. Apart from obviously knowing the basic financial stuff I leave the high level stuff to the financial accountant.

What I will do however is volunteer myself to work along side others as part of a financial team.

I think the reality after a discussion yesterday is its time to "park the bus" as no-one really has the available time to drive this forward in the manner that is required to do it properly

Saying that if anyone does have the time or desire to do so, there is nothing to stop them taking this on

Doing the admin / organising. Its not too onerous if you have a few hours per week spare I guess. At the start up / proper launch period then you just need time and lots of it - both doing the front of house stuff and admin. Just not got that time especially when everyone will simply slag off what you do anyway

Guest Deleted member

especially when everyone will simply slag off what you do anyway

I think this is the point

It really is a thankless task and I can't think of any reason why anyone would want to put themselves up to be shot down by people who can't be arsed to do something themselves.

It's massively demotivating, and I'm guessing partly the reason little or no progress has been made?

Shame really.

This is certainly why I decided I'd had enough after all the problems with Wednesdayite. It's brilliant now attending the games without concerning myself who is looking after the lounge, car park, Smile tickets, forthcoming events, coaches to away games etc etc...

All services to fans who really appreciate them, criticised quite venomously at times, by people who don't understand the benefits they bring, or don't even go to games themselves.

Edited by Deleted member

Guest Deleted member

Not sure I understand.

Its the same with the team

Who the hell wants to do a job (especially as a volunteer) if they're just gonna get a reyt slagging off for doing it? At least the players get paid well.

These guys are doing it out of the goodness of their hearts because they want to give something back to Wednesday fans and the community (which to be fair is all they wanted to do with Wednesdayite til all the political shyte kicked off again)

Because you have to go into that role understanding you will get slated by people who will never be convinced.

Spot on Neil.

You have to learn to take the flak, in order that you can deliver positive benefits to the fans and the community,

Flak is generally given out by people who are not prepared to put in the same commitment themselves.

SWFC fans are generally a moaning lot - it must be part of the DNA that comes with having blue and white blood- 

Because you have to go into that role understanding you will get slated by people who will never be convinced.

And I guess some of us accept that and have decided to back out of the role

I'd just like to take issue with the casual use of the word 'slagging' when discussing the launch and operation of the supporters club.

In any given situation anybody offering their services for free and in the hope of being a benefit to a greater cause should be applauded but also be self-aware of the dinstinction between 'slagging' and people showing genuine concern, issues or even criticism towards the broader efforts.

In short, the act of 'charity' should not create an immunity, especially when I have very rarely seen any comments directed personally towards the efforts of the person in question but rather the broader aspects of the organisation.

Even voluntary work should be done with at least an inkling of competence no matter what the good intentions are, such as when you consider Wednesdayite and the current issues of chronic adminsistration negligence and overall shambolic hierachial structure leading to mass resignations and the integrity of directors being brought into question.

So that said, and with total peace of mind, it's safe to say that the launch of this supporters club has been an absolute shower verging on embarrasment - the first act of redemption is the admittance above from mkowl that he can no longer contribute. Hats off to him, and the very reason why I won't volunteer myself is because I already know I have nothing of substance I am able to contribute except my support to the cause and the wish of it's growth and acceptance, I don't mind being a cog in the machine.

It's not slagging at all, and if you can't work out the distinction between the two then you shouldn't be in the role in the first place.