Wednesday to honour Paddy O'Connell?

Guest Deleted member

Guest Deleted member

http://www.irishpost.co.uk/sport/sheffield-wednesday-keane-beckham-man-united-don-patricio

SHEFFIELD WEDNESDAY football club are exploring the possibility of holding an event to honour former player, Manchester United captain and Barcelona manager Paddy ‘Don Patricio’ O’Connell.

Last month The Irish Post revealed that Roy Keane and David Beckham were backing a campaign to erect a memorial for Mr O’Connell who is buried in an unmarked grave in Kilburn’s St Marys Cemetery.

Since, names like Johan Cruyff and former England world cup winning goalkeeper Gordon Banks have joined.

At the same time, the memorial fund team have contacted Gordon Taylor in the Professional Footballers Association (PFA) seeking their support after learning that O’Connell joined as a member in 1907.

The campaign to erect a memorial in Belfast is being progressed by soccer fans in Windsor and Lancashire as well as Ireland.

Through his career, Patrick O’Connell lined out with Sheffield Wednesday, captained Manchester United and later, led Real Betis to their first and only La Liga title. He is also credited with saving Barcelona from General Franco during the Spanish Civil War when he was in charge at the Camp Nou.

However he would die destitute in London in 1959, his story sunk in an unmarked grave.

Next year marks the centenary of his time as captain of Manchester United.

Dowd said that O’Connell’s name still echoes at Barcelona and Real Betis and it is hoped a memorial statue, which will be erected in Belfast, will bring a wider recognition of his story.

“To have the support of some of those names is a massive thing,” he said. “But to have a club consider an event around him, that is significant [also]. It’s about shining a light on a life.”

Patrick O’Connell is hailed in Real Betis who he managed to their only La Liga title.

Since the original article appeared in The Irish Post, the club have contacted the memorial fund with a commitment to reinforce support.

Guest Deleted member

Strange story this - after he made 21 appearances for us way back in 1908 - just seen this on Twitter?

Personally I'd never heard of him. 

Strange story this - after he made 21 appearances for us way back in 1908 - just seen this on Twitter?

Personally I'd never heard of him. 

I thought it was a well known story?   I'm sure we have had posts on here before " The man who saved Barcelona! !!

http://www.fcbarcelona.com/club/history/detail/card/patrick-o-connell-1935-37

Guest Deleted member

I thought it was a well known story?   I'm sure we have had posts on here before " The man who saved Barcelona! !!

http://www.fcbarcelona.com/club/history/detail/card/patrick-o-connell-1935-37

Ive never ever seen anything about him on here. 

Strange that the club are considering an event for him? There can't be many Wednesday fans who remember him?

Even Sheffield United have won things since he left us! lol

http://www.irishpost.co.uk/sport/sheffield-wednesday-keane-beckham-man-united-don-patricio

SHEFFIELD WEDNESDAY football club are exploring the possibility of holding an event to honour former player, Manchester United captain and Barcelona manager Paddy ‘Don Patricio’ O’Connell.

Last month The Irish Post revealed that Roy Keane and David Beckham were backing a campaign to erect a memorial for Mr O’Connell who is buried in an unmarked grave in Kilburn’s St Marys Cemetery.

Since, names like Johan Cruyff and former England world cup winning goalkeeper Gordon Banks have joined.

At the same time, the memorial fund team have contacted Gordon Taylor in the Professional Footballers Association (PFA) seeking their support after learning that O’Connell joined as a member in 1907.

The campaign to erect a memorial in Belfast is being progressed by soccer fans in Windsor and Lancashire as well as Ireland.

Through his career, Patrick O’Connell lined out with Sheffield Wednesday, captained Manchester United and later, led Real Betis to their first and only La Liga title. He is also credited with saving Barcelona from General Franco during the Spanish Civil War when he was in charge at the Camp Nou.

However he would die destitute in London in 1959, his story sunk in an unmarked grave.

Next year marks the centenary of his time as captain of Manchester United.

Dowd said that O’Connell’s name still echoes at Barcelona and Real Betis and it is hoped a memorial statue, which will be erected in Belfast, will bring a wider recognition of his story.

“To have the support of some of those names is a MASSIVE thing,” he said. “But to have a club consider an event around him, that is significant [also]. It’s about shining a light on a life.”

Patrick O’Connell is hailed in Real Betis who he managed to their only La Liga title.

Since the original article appeared in The Irish Post, the club have contacted the memorial fund with a commitment to reinforce support.

I haven't heard much about him but he seems a fascinating figure.

If the statue is erected in Belfast I will definately go visit it.

Guest Deleted member

O_CONNELL.v1368616563.jpg

Tell you what - if we had people on the coaching staff with guns now, we'd have no problem motivating Maghoma to get up and down that wing

Ive never ever seen anything about him on here. 

Strange that the club are considering an event for him? There can't be many Wednesday fans who remember him?

Even Sheffield United have won things since he left us! lol

He's on here : -

191213o_zps16596cdb.jpg

Edited by dunsbyowl

Guest Deleted member

He played 18 games (plus 3 in Cup) in 3 years with us. 

I notice our goalscoring legend Andrew Wilson in the front row.. Can't we honour him instead? lol

Guest Deleted member

BLIMEY!! Youve got a hell of a memory!

I agree with grandma, he shudnt be honoured by swfc imo

I didnt say that - I just thought it was possibly the most random thing Ive ever seen the club promote lol

A former player who managed 18 games in 3 years! lol Over 100 years ago!!

Can we do something for John Beswetherick in 2114 too? 

They are looking to do several events with teams he played for including Barcelona. SWFC has been handpicked as a team to help comemorate this. There are some very very big name ex Pros who are lined up to attend different events in england and barcelona, already quite a few names include  Johan Cruyff have expressed their wishes to attend an event at Hillsborough. The Middlesborough game has been lined up as a possible date for an event as he played for them as well.

O_CONNELL.v1368616563.jpg

Tell you what - if we had people on the coaching staff with guns now, we'd have no problem motivating Maghoma to get up and down that wing

Now come on---- they would need guns and dynamite to get him to give the ball to an overlapping full back!!! :rolleyes:

There wasn't an embargo on this story but with the detail still to be ironed out on several very big names it would have been better under wraps for a little while longer.

Paddy O'Connell was one of ours, no matter how brief his stay. The fact he is buried in a paupers grave with no head stone is signal enough for the Wednesday family to do something about it. Wouldn't you agree Grandad ?