What's the closest you've come to losing interest in Wednesday?

Guest olive varadi

I was also at St James' when we went down by 8....

If that was the game before the semi final against Everton I was at that; "are you watching Everon?". Gallows humour...

I was close to losing interest during our period of decline from the premiership, one season after the other was just getting worse and worse, that would set us up for another poo 15 years after that

I've got used to it now though, lol.

Ditto

You could just see as time went on it was all starting to go wrong.

Last season towards the end of the DJ tenure. We played away at Derby and lost 3-0 and it was the most inept performance I'd seen in an awful long time. If Derby had been on song they would have been into double figures we were that bad.

I was pulled back in though about 5 minutes later due to the approx. 5,000 following support singing at the top of their lungs.

That performance was absolutely shocking. Remember taking my mate to it who had never been to a football match before. Rest assured he has never asked to come again.

Had a season ticket from 2003 up until last season. Due to financial reasons I couldn't buy a season ticket this year and it's right painful constantly refreshing BBC scores/looking on OT during games. I've only seen us be, in general, poor so I don't know how bad we'd have to be for me to lose interest.

Guest Johnbloodaxe

During the legal action against fans. Truly disgusting and the lowest, most embarrassing episode in our club's history.

Hang your heads in shame Dave Allen, Kaven Walker, Bob Grierson, Geoff Hulley and Keith Addy.

This. Although not losing interest in the football team i felt that disgusted I didnt want anything to do with our club at that time at all.

I went week in week out all through our lowest time when we nearly slipped into the 4th. Never thought ever of turning my back on it ever. But during the lows of the da kw debacle i almost walked away forever... terrible period in our history the worst by far.

Edited by Johnbloodaxe

FA Cup replay against Wolves in '95. I was 12. First game I'd ever been to. Didn't want to go ever again. I didn't until the Newcastle home game at the start of the next season, lost 2-0, but I liked it so much I carried on going. We lost the first 8 (yes, EIGHT) games I ever went to. Unbelievable. Never thought about giving up though. Way too massive.

Never been close to losing interest, i've seen people on facebook who i went to school with in the 90's who used to go to watch us supporting arsenal and recently one supporting man city. Also a work colleague who was a s/t holder now supporting newcastle. Wtf!!! Supporting Wednesday for me is more passionate than anything in life. I've been through some bobbar after the relegation from the prem but it'll never end.

This is inexcusable in my opinion. People like that should be shunned from society.

And that's not just turning your back on Wednesday, turning your back on any team is shocking. I'd hate to be their life partner, no chance you could trust them.

When the wife said (after telling her that another long haul weekend fixture beckoned): "You love that Sheffield Wednesday more than me!" and I replied "I love Sheffield United more than you"....

Funny how there seems to be a lot more room about the house these days.

Spent a few years in the wilderness (missed playoff final) sob sob...Got into some bother Donny pre season when I was 18 ish and was banned pretty much by my family until it blew over. It was a dark period of my life and I missed one of the greatest days so I paid for being an idiot. Picked up again though and don't predict that I'll lose my faith again, ever...

Looking through some old programmes last night I realised how few games I went to during the Shreeves and Yorath eras: I was attending just four or five games a season. Looking back, I can hardly remember a thing about many of our players during this time and only went to games if my dad asked me to go along with him.

I was 15/16 at the time and my abiding memory of Wednesday during that period is one of overwhelming blandness; there seemed to be so many more exciting options for a teenager than sitting through the uninspired performances being served up at Hillsborough, or maybe I'd been spoiled to have first followed the club in the glory years of the early 90's and found the harsh realities of our postmillennial malaise a bit hard to swallow.

I still kept an eye out for our results, but my interest in the team reached an all-time low during that period, to the point where I didn't even know who we were playing some weekends. For most of my life either side of these few years, I've followed every match I can, either at the ground or at least on the radio.

Thankfully, supporting Wednesday is a way of life and I snapped back out of it in time for Paul Sturrock's brief but wonderful reign.

Just When I Thought I Was Out.gif

So what's the closest you've come to losing interest in Wednesday? What caused it and what pulled you back in?

Your time of losing interest was when I raised my interest. I was born in 87 went to the odd home game a season from 96 when my dad took me to my first match but didn't have a season ticket until out first year out if the premiership, what a lucky boy I was eh. As I've only been used to us from 2000 anything better than mediocre is enthralling.