Concerning

Guest JonTheOwl66

I know this is a daft comparison, but I've been watching Real Madrid tonight, and at that level there's a lot of passing around, but at the end of it, there's usually a ball into the box.

That's what we need to start doing Just trying to get it into the box and see if we can work the keeper.

Agree with this, the amount of times I was hoping someone would get on the end of a cross but the cross never came for them to even get at.

We need a winger. It was plain to see at brighton that we weren't going to score whilstever they had eleven beyond a worldy.

Keep the "blockers" in the middle but get someone who can compete with maghoma for the opposite flank to maguire. Preferably someone who can put the ball into the area with a bit of zip.

Both wide men disappointed tonight.

Though the midfield in general was very sloppy on the ball.

Both wide men disappointed tonight.

Though the midfield in general was very sloppy on the ball.

Extra wide men is a priority, we practically sign a striker in doing that by freeing up maguire from the right.

Extra wide men is a priority, we practically sign a striker in doing that by freeing up maguire from the right.

Maguire was disappointing for me tonight.

Great strike of course. But seemed a yard short in his anticipation.

Lot of reacting rather than thinking ahead.

As for him upfront. Might be better suited there.

Though given the space May found for himself tonight and never got picked out not sure it would have made much difference who was up there.

Decent point though considering.

We played another unbeaten side tonight who hadn't conceded a goal in their previous 3 games in all competitions - chances were always going to be few and far between and not a 6 goal thriller.

I think we are all well aware that for us to strengthen the squad from where it is will be from the loan market - has it been any different for the last 3 seasons and beyond?

We might be lacking guile and creativity but we've got a couple of players who are capable - we're unbeaten after playing 4 games in 10 days with threadbare squad - I'd say it's pretty damn good start.

Maguire was disappointing for me tonight.

Great strike of course. But seemed a yard short in his anticipation.

Lot of reacting rather than thinking ahead.

As for him upfront. Might be better suited there.

Though given the space May found for himself tonight and never got picked out not sure it would have made much difference who was up there.

Decent point though considering.

Agree was disappointing tonight, but I feel May plays of the shoulder and likes the ball over or through. I reckon due to his time on the right Maguire would come short to collect and be able to turn and go, maybe thread May through once or twice.

Agree was disappointing tonight, but I feel May plays of the shoulder and likes the ball over or through. I reckon due to his time on the right Maguire would come short to collect and be able to turn and go, maybe thread May through once or twice.

At least three times tonight in the first half I saw May, after a move had broken down telling Maguire that he'd made a little blind side run on the centre half and had wanted the ball clipped in.

didn't seem to sink in though

At least three times tonight in the first half I saw May, after a move had broken down telling Maguire that he'd made a little blind side run on the centre half and had wanted the ball clipped in.

didn't seem to sink in though

I've seen these runs also, nobody is clipping them into him or putting crosses in. I felt there was a bit too much greed on the wings which I think comes natural to two players who started their careers as strikers.

I've seen these runs also, nobody is clipping them into him or putting crosses in. I felt there was a bit too much greed on the wings which I think comes natural to two players who started their careers as strikers.

This comes to a wider debate I was having with someone earlier.

He felt that these days if you are playing 4-4-2 you need wide 'midfielders' who play the ball rather than 'wingers' trying to do something with it themselves.

He felt that wingers these days are better suited to the 4-3-3 4-5-1 where there is move cover if they bomb on and wee wee tail it up.

I'm now starting to think he may have a point.

SHUowl you mention the greed on the wings Maghoma was particularly guilty of this. He was great in taking on the first and then second man but then rather than laying it off or having a short he seems to want to take on a third and fourth player. He's an asset but really could be much better if he had a good end product.

SHUowl you mention the greed on the wings Maghoma was particularly guilty of this. He was great in taking on the first and then second man but then rather than laying it off or having a short he seems to want to take on a third and fourth player. He's an asset but really could be much better if he had a good end product.

I think this is where the footballing brain comes in.

There must be a reason that a lad with his ability has been confined to a career in Division 3 before he joined us. 

That said, he's upped his workrate this season so maybe he is learning. Very...very slowly.

Guest The Horse

The most common scoreline in football history is 1-0.

It's great to put teams to the sword but more often than not it's all about seeing a game out with a one goal lead.

I think this is where the footballing brain comes in.

There must be a reason that a lad with his ability has been confined to a career in Division 3 before he joined us. 

That said, he's upped his workrate this season so maybe he is learning. Very...very slowly.

Yep as you correctly say quite probably the reason he's only now in the 'second division'. With Maghoma there is another example of if he had the end product to go with his ability to beat the first and second then he'd probably not be with us. Just like if Nuhiu could add 10 goals a season to his tally as well as his hold up play etc he'd probably be playing at a higher level.

I'm sure Stuart can see all the areas where our players need to improve, lets hope with the coaching ability he has the players take his advice on board and make the improvements they're hopefully capable of.

Edited by ReginaldD

This comes to a wider debate I was having with someone earlier.

He felt that these days if you are playing 4-4-2 you need wide 'midfielders' who play the ball rather than 'wingers' trying to do something with it themselves.

He felt that wingers these days are better suited to the 4-3-3 4-5-1 where there is move cover if they bomb on and wee wee tail it up.

I'm now starting to think he may have a point.

Your both right here, I'm a big advocate of Atdhe but I think the 4-5-1 with May might be worth a punt because he's got the energy to work the channels and looks to have a decent touch. Plus, as you say we'd have three behind Mags, Mags and May in case it doesn't work .

And yes Reg your right , no better example than that lovely dribble down in the kop/north corner. However, I don't think it's end product that he lacks. We've seen some good shots and crosses from Maghoma, I personally think it's his decision making that is poor; I think he isn't sure whether to lay off, cross or shoot and the time it takes him to think there is another man in front of him to try and beat all over again.

If we'd held out another 30 seconds,this thread wouldn't have even been created.

Fair point, but I reckon myself, Reg and Snoots debate might have happened regardless.

Edited by SHUowl

Your both right here, I'm a big advocate of Atdhe but I think the 4-5-1 with May might be worth a punt because he's got the energy to work the channels and looks to have a decent touch. Plus, as you say we'd have three behind Mags, Mags and May in case it doesn't work .

And yes Reg your right , no better example than that lovely dribble down in the kop/north corner. However, I don't think it's end product that he lacks. We've seen some good shots and crosses from Maghoma, I personally think it's his decision making that is poor; I think he isn't sure whether to lay off, cross or shoot and the time it takes him to think there is another man in front of him to try and beat all over again.

Remember going down in '90 with Dave Bennett, Franz Carr, King etc.

Soon as Ron decided to put Worthington and Wilson on the wide areas of midfield it just gave us that compactness.

Fair point, but I reckon mine Reg and Snoots debate might have regardless.

Indeed our points aren't so much in regard to concerns following the late goal but more in regards general play. Hope no one interprets my thoughts as having a go at any of the lads, they all in my opinion put in 100% and great to see the level of effort. I was happy to clap (yes I'm a clapper) them all off, though also the point of a forum is to make points as we have been doing on the performance of the team.