STEVIE MAY

Guest Harry Coy

Stevie May is a poacher. His best work will be done in the box, where he has enough speed of thought to get in the right positions to finish. By all accounts he's a good finisher, and in time, he will probably adapt to championship football. The fact that he works hard is a bonus which will help us defend from the front. From what I can make out so far, you can't fault his work rate, but perhaps he's been doing that work in the wrong areas. Gray even said after the Derby game, that he wished some of those chances had fallen to May.

The fact that he's not channeling his energies in the right area, is probably more to do with Nuhiu's shortcoming, than anything else. I said before, I didn't think that the Nuhiu/May partnership was one that would bear fruit. If Nuhiu is going to be a regular starter, we don't yet have the partner for him, and that is why this next striker signing is so important.

Agreed - May seems to be coming looking for the ball when really he shouldn't - but service to him is woeful.

I'm no Madine fan, but I reckon him and May could be a better partnership, more to feet NOT looking for the bloody flick on all the time

Agreed - May seems to be coming looking for the ball when really he shouldn't - but service to him is woeful.

I'm no Madine fan, but I reckon him and May could be a better partnership, more to feet NOT looking for the bloody flick on all the time

Me too, but if Nuhiu is to play, FFS find someone who can play with him

Guest Big Guns

yep we need to let madine and may build a partnership newho is a liability

Ah keep clapping. By the way, how's your takeover coming along?

My takeover, would you like to quantify that, a very strange comment indeed

In the mean time, don't forget to sharpen your razor blades, i'm sure you're looking forward to using them

Coke possibly, but thought Semedo had a shocker last night.He seemed to be wandering around not knowing what to do. Neither good defensively nor going forward.

Semedo looked lost and quite frankly I was perplexed at what that central midfield was supposed to do It was a bizarre selection, and one that probably had quite a bearing on our performance

Coke possibly, but thought Semedo had a shocker last night.He seemed to be wandering around not knowing what to do. Neither good defensively nor going forward.

The midfield has been decimated and our backup isnt good enough, never mind, some will still ignore this and criticise the forwards instead

yep we need to let madine and may build a partnership newho is a liability

Not every week, but I'd try Madine and Nuhiu together at some point (in the league). Nuhiu constantly had the attention of both centre backs last night. Good or bad he was targetted. They wouldn't have done that as well last night with Madine alongside. We were bossed in midfield and Millwall made sure that there was no easy out ball to the big man. May will I am sure come good but there will be times when the two big men working together would be effective.

Edited by Dagmeister

Semedo looked lost and quite frankly I was perplexed at what that central midfield was supposed to do It was a bizarre selection, and one that probably had quite a bearing on our performance

Agree about Semedo though in fairness Millwall were surprisingly good last night in midfield which highlighted our deficiencies in that area.

I look at all our forwards and there are no obvious partnerships there The best, I suspect would be Madine and May, but I do see what Nuhiu brings to the side, but to make that work, we have to find the right partner.

We definitely have to find the right pairing (when we play 2 up front) but any pairing would have struggled last night with the service that our front two got from midfield. Millwall got it right; swamp us in midfield and nullify the big man. This did afford May a bit more freedom but he's not quite up to speed yet (another 90 minutes under his belt on the plus side though).

Agree about Semedo though in fairness Millwall were surprisingly good last night in midfield which highlighted our deficiencies in that area.

It makes you think, are we suffering for trying to throw May in too soon. We did play well against Derby, but I still would have played five across the middle in that game, and used Madine and May from the bench. It's by far the best system we have with the players we currently have. Last night, because of Lee's injury, that perhaps was not an option, but that axis of Semedo and Hutchinson was never going to give us the creativity we needed.

It makes you think, are we suffering for trying to throw May in too soon. We did play well against Derby, but I still would have played five across the middle in that game, and used Madine and May from the bench. It's by far the best system we have with the players we currently have. Last night, because of Lee's injury, that perhaps was not an option, but that axis of Semedo and Hutchinson was never going to give us the creativity we needed.

Its a two sided coin. I advocated easing him in from the bench but its a valid counter argument that he'll take longer to adapt if he's not pitched in. Despite his flaws Millwall still felt it necessary to double up on Nuhiu where possible and stymie our out ball as they choked our midfield. Madine alongside him would have put a bit of a spanner in their tactics possibly. May did benefit from a bit more space but he's not quite there yet. Yes a 5 man midfield would have been an option but it is this area that we are most lacking in depth unless Corry and McCabe can surprise us.

...it may surprise some of a younger age..but a certain David Hirst got all the same sort of stick from a small but vocal number of supporters, when he first moved from Barnsley...he didn't do too badly for us did he...