BIGNESS

Guest Cholecysrectomy

Guest Cholecysrectomy

A couple of weeks ago I read an article about how close this year’s Championship will be with eighteen Championship clubs having Premiership experience and wanting to get back there.  It reviewed each team's new signings and departures, and the usual predictions about where they are likely to finish.  What intrigued me was (without any facts or figures) when it got to Leeds it said they were the Championship’s biggest Club.  I sort of go along with that, although others won’t!?  There’s no definition of bigness, it’s more a feeling you get about potential, not just on the pitch, but everything associated with a Club, and importantly the fans. Can they fill the away end on a Tuesday night in December at the most distant away ground?  Relegated Norwich, Cardiff and Fulham, might have a feeling of superiority at the moment, but promoted Wolves have more of an historical feeling of big.  Anyway, no bias, here’s my take of bigness in order of rank.

1. Leeds - still remembering Revie

2. Sheffield Wednesday - a close second

3. Nottingham Forest - slightly bigger than Derby

4. Wolves - bigger than West Brom?

5. Derby - nice people

6. Birmingham - stock declining

7. Norwich - bigger than Ipswich

8. Cardiff - sliding below Swansea

9. Middlesbrough - ahead of Hartlepool at least

10. Blackburn - touch and go with Bolton

11. Bolton - as above

12. Fulham - somewhere in London, not very big

13. Ipswich - beneath Norwich nowadays 

14. Huddersfield - still sleeping

15. Charlton - bigger than Millwall, smaller than Palace

16. Brighton - unfulfilled bigness

17. Watford - could do better

18. Reading - bigger than Oxford or Swindon

19. Blackpool - life's a beach

20 Wigan - now if this were rugby league

21. Millwall - no one like 'em

22. Bournemouth - rising from 24th last season

23. Brentford - the smallest of the London sect

24 Rotherham - the smallest of them all

Discuss!

Edited by Cholecysrectomy

I wouldn't even have a clue how to rank a club as size wise, I mean forest have won the European cup and it doesn't get much bigger than that in club football, in recent years only wigan have won something of real prestige in that fa cup, fan base wise we're right up there we have bags of potential as well, leeds are as well but it's a one club city.

Guest Steve French

What intrigued me was (without any facts or figures) when it got to Leeds it said they were the Championship’s biggest Club. I sort of go along with that, although others won’t!?

Because you're a dirty Leeds fan. Great 3rd post.

Guest Cholecysrectomy

The Daily Mail has a Top-50 "Bigness" chart today, but for all English teams rather than just the Championship.  It's scientific research all right, done on the back of a bus ticket based on Crowds, Global fanbase, trophies, average League finish, player quality and income.   Wolves and Leeds share 13th place and are the top rated Championship Clubs, then come Blackburn (I suppose they were good once) in 17th and us in 18th. Then come Bolton, Forest, Derby, Norwich....and in 24th it's the girls from up the road.  Well done them, nice to get a mention.  After that it's Birmingham, Charlton & Fulham equal, followed by Middlesbrough, Cardiff, Huddersfield, Ipswich, Wigan (Wigan - global support?), Blackpool (what a shame), Reading, Brighton, Watford, and Millwall down in 49th position.  Rotherham, Brentford & Bournemouth don't get a mention.  If you can be bothered the full chart is here:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3011776/Are-Manchester-United-Liverpool-Arsenal-Chelsea-biggest-club-Sportsmail-s-study-finally-settles-football-s-great-debate.html

Edited by Cholecysrectomy

A couple of weeks ago I read an article about how close this year’s Championship will be with eighteen Championship clubs having Premiership experience and wanting to get back there. It reviewed each team's new signings and departures, and the usual predictions about where they are likely to finish. What intrigued me was (without any facts or figures) when it got to Leeds it said they were the Championship’s biggest Club. I sort of go along with that, although others won’t!? There’s no definition of bigness, it’s more a feeling you get about potential, not just on the pitch, but everything associated with a Club, and importantly the fans. Can they fill the away end on a Tuesday night in December at the most distant away ground? Relegated Norwich, Cardiff and Fulham, might have a feeling of superiority at the moment, but promoted Wolves have more of an historical feeling of big. Anyway, no bias, here’s my take of bigness in order of rank.

1. Leeds - still remembering Revie

2. Sheffield Wednesday - a close second

3. Nottingham Forest - slightly bigger than Derby

4. Wolves - bigger than West Brom?

5. Derby - nice people

6. Birmingham - stock declining

7. Norwich - bigger than Ipswich

8. Cardiff - sliding below Swansea

9. Middlesbrough - ahead of Hartlepool at least

10. Blackburn - touch and go with Bolton

11. Bolton - as above

12. Fulham - somewhere in London, not very big

13. Ipswich - beneath Norwich nowadays

14. Huddersfield - still sleeping

15. Charlton - bigger than Millwall, smaller than Palace

16. Brighton - unfulfilled bigness

17. Watford - could do better

18. Reading - bigger than Oxford or Swindon

19. Blackpool - life's a beach

20 Wigan - now if this were rugby league

21. Millwall - no one like 'em

22. Bournemouth - rising from 24th last season

23. Brentford - the smallest of the London sect

24 Rotherham - the smallest of them all

Discuss!

Fulham most definitely should not be feeling superior right about now. I'd be rather concerned if I was a supporter.

Out of interest, should your name be cholecystectomy?

funny how Norwich are above Ipswich in that Daily Mail column, and also in a few i noticed on here last week..

i think Ipswich are bigger than Norwich and if you check out the banter/rivalry between the 2, (FB/twitter/forums) its similar sort of stuff to what goes on between us & the Blunts. and its fair to say Ipswich always have the upper hand and win them arguments.

its a fair assumption that most proper minded Norwich fans, deep down inside, will know that Ipswich are the bigger club, as the grunters do with us.

Ipswich have won many more honours, been in top flight for more years, have a bigger ground, 

how can Norwich be above them? I dont see it myself.

funny how Norwich are above Ipswich in that Daily Mail column, and also in a few i noticed on here last week..

i think Ipswich are bigger than Norwich and if you check out the banter/rivalry between the 2, (FB/twitter/forums) its similar sort of stuff to what goes on between us & the Blunts. and its fair to say Ipswich always have the upper hand and win them arguments.

its a fair assumption that most proper minded Norwich fans, deep down inside, will know that Ipswich are the bigger club, as the grunters do with us.

Ipswich have won many more honours, been in top flight for more years, have a bigger ground,

how can Norwich be above them? I dont see it myself.

They are probably just going off recent history (last decade or two). Norwich have had higher attendances, been in the Prem more and even played in Europe in the early 90's.