Best and Worst Transfers we've ever made

Guest Mancunian_Owl

Best: Maclean 20 Goal Striker who cost bob all

Just checked - we actually signed Maclean for an undisclosed fee, with reports at the time suggesting somewhere between £125k and £150k. Still a very good deal when you consider that (I think, off the top of my head) he's the only 20 goal striker we've had in the last 30 years or so - but he wasn't signed on a free.

Buxton and JJ in recent years. Did we pay a fee for Buxton or was he free? I think JJ was about 500k, got some decent mileage out of both

I'm pretty sure Buxton was free as he wasn't getting a game at Stoke and his contract was running down. We have Brian Laws to thank for signing him and JJ, two of our better players for the past half decade.

Guest BirdonaMaguire

a bloke who plays over 300 prem games gets voted player of the year for 3 different clubs including twice for us as to have a bit more about him than" utter cack" but if thats your opinion then fair enough ....

Opinions vary mate, just thought he was poor, I have an irritational hatred for the fat headed Lancastrian throw bag, probably compounded by his red at Charlton in 1999 which cost us the fair play league Uefa spot.

Guest BirdonaMaguire

In the modern era (post Prem Relegation) I would say

Best: Maclean 20 Goal Striker who cost bob all

Worst: De Bilde, we were struggling and bringing that idiot in just sped up our demise

In the Prem Days:

Best: Des Walker, seemed a gamble at the time but paid off massively

Worst: Di Canio, yeah alright good footballer but him and Carbone ripped the heart out of the team and we ended up shipping Hirsty off for £2million to try and keep them happy. I know a lot look back at the skills they brought, but we lost a lot more in team work when we signed them two.

De Bilde was a PL signing.

To be fair getting 2m for Hirst was a stroke of genius, he scored about 10 in four seasons due to injury but I hated Pleat for selling my hero.

Nillson Hirst Waddle Pearson Palmer - all good value and formed the backbone of a great side

Warhurst was a good bit of business - didn't we sell him for a fair bit before he broke his leg?

Andy Pearce was pretty poor..Klas Ingesson didn't really work out.

Donelley and Odonnell for me represent a nadir deal wise. The hit we took on Di Canio wasn't great either....

Guest Tonester1985

For me the best signing I think was Waddle or Maclean both for different reasons.

Worst shower of shize has to be Proudlock. That fat effer was crap even in league 1. Really poor player.

De Bilde is up there. Jeffers, our very own Michael Owen, Booth - poor, never did enough.

Nobody in for Chris Bart Williams?

Guest Mancunian_Owl

How much did we get for Whelan in the end? I remember him being sold cheaply as he was out of contract and we were in that much financial trouble at the time and needed to fund loan signings of players like Kavanagh

Memory serves me Whelan was pushed out by Laws, Whelan wanted to stay but the contract offer he got was ridiculous? a lot of players left that season that we went on to regret letting go, I remember Wood getting a similar offer

Memory serves me Whelan was pushed out by Laws, Whelan wanted to stay but the contract offer he got was ridiculous? a lot of players left that season that we went on to regret letting go, I remember Wood getting a similar offer

Aye - I bet laws couldn't wait to get rid of the crux of his young championship side. Get out whelan - I've got Adam bolder lined up on loan.

we bought far too much tripe (for good money)...

when players left we generally got short changed...

i'm not sure how close it all started around the bosman thing, but we appeared to handle that badly too...

i was no where near impressed when we got tuppence for lee chapman when he was the top scorer in the division (not including penalties), didn't he go to somewhere in france for 5 minutes, then onto florest?