Best and Worst Transfers we've ever made

Guest Mancunian_Owl

Guest Mancunian_Owl

After listening to someone talk rubbish about another clubs transfer policy it made me take a look at some of our transfers ins and outs of the last couple of seasons. 

Reading through who we had signed it made me realise, that some of our best ever signings came from freebies: 

Steve Maclean

Chris Brunt

Chris Kirkland

Lee Grant

Frankie Simek

Glenn Whelan

JP McGovern

Lee Peacock

Graeme Lee (I thought he was decent)

Yet our worst ever signings, actually all cost us a lot of money, yeah there are some freebies in there but more often than not actually paying decent money for players (over £500k) actually seemed to be a really bad idea:

Andy Booth £2.7 Mil

Vim Jonk  Â£2.5 Mil

Giles De Bilde £3 Mil

Adam Proudlock £150k 

Petter Rudi £800k

Francis Jeffers £700k I think

Pretty much everyone apart from Alexandersson in 1997/98

It's easy to see how we got ourselves into £25 Million in debt once you see how much money we wasted on flop players, therefore have we just learnt our lesson over the years that paying millions for player actually very rarely provides us with great talent.

Going into a "potential" Mammadov future reign, do we want any future investment going into future transfers when we have been so woeful at it in the past.

Edited by Mancunian_Owl

After listening to someone talk rubbish about another clubs transfer policy it made me take a look at some of our transfers ins and outs of the last couple of seasons. 

Reading through who we had signed it made me realise, that some of our best ever signings came from freebies: 

Steve Maclean

Chris Brunt

Chris Kirkland

Lee Grant

Frankie Simek

Glenn Whelan

JP McGovern

Lee Peacock

Yet our worst ever signings, actually all cost us a lot of money, yeah there are some freebies in there but more often than not actually paying decent money for players (over £500k) actually seemed to be a really bad idea:

Andy Booth £2.7 Mil

Vim Jonk  Â£2.5 Mil

Giles De Bilde £3 Mil

Adam Proudlock £150k 

Petter Rudi £800k

Pretty much everyone apart from Alexandersson in 1997/98

It's easy to see how we got ourselves into £25 Million in debt once you see how much money we wasted on flop players, therefore have we just learnt our lesson over the years that paying millions for player actually very rarely provides us with great talent.

Going into a "potential" Mammadov future reign, do we want any future investment going into future transfers when we have been so woeful at it in the past.

Andy Booth £2.7 Mil - [shudders]

Add the ubiquitous Francis Jeffers to that pantheon of utter dross.

Guest Mancunian_Owl

Andy Booth £2.7 Mil - [shudders]

Add the ubiquitous Francis Jeffers to that pantheon of utter dross.

Added

I think we are woeful at spending decent money on players, we apparently spent more than £1 Million on Shefki Kuqi, I liked the Flopmaster but I would never have thought he was a million player

Guest Distraught!

Best incoming transfer Roland Nllsson 250K to 400K whichever report is to be believed.

Worst is FJ9. 700K at that time is equivalent to 5 million during the early nineties given the financial situation at the time.

Signing Sheridan for £500k was a great bit of business which, alongside the signing of Palmer, set us up for years to come.

As others have said, wasting £700k on Jeffers at that point in time was criminal, especially when you think of the possible alternatives we could have gone for.

It's also a damning indictment of our club's management in recent times that the highest fee we've ever received remains the £3m West Brom paid for Brunt.

Guest Steve French

Steve Maclean

Chris Brunt

Chris Kirkland

Lee Grant

Frankie Simek

Glenn Whelan

JP McGovern

Lee Peacock

Petter Rudi £800k

Sorry but Rudi wasn't all that bad at all.

Worst: Adem Poric in for £60,000 from St George Saints.

Best: Adem Poric out on a free to Notts County.

lol

some of our better signings also cost us money.

Carbone signed for 3million, then given away for nothing.

Di Canio signed for 4.5 million as part of Blinker deal, we gave him away for 1.7 million.

Andy Hinchcliffe signed for 3million, left for nothing.

Kovacevic, sold for peanuts, then went on to sign for another club for a ridiculous amount.

Thome sold for 2.5 million to chelsea, he sits on the bench then leaves for 5 million. 

Our biggest problem is not getting a decent return for our investments.

The enigma that is Patrick Blondeau cost us 1.8m I think, but I'm not sure if we recouped any of that on his departure.

This is worse for me, money we payed on players like Hinchcliffe and Jonk only turned out to be mistakes because they were injured most of time with club. 

A couple of best signings have to be Hirsty from Barnsley and Nigel Pearson from Shrewsbury. Less than half a million for two fantastic players.

best ever and you´d have to go back a long way to someone like spikesly or rimmer who won us leagues and cups and were giants of there time and cost us a pittance .in my lifetime i´d go for ron springett as for worst i could give you a list that would run and run but if i had to pick one it would be phil o´donnell he was a decent player but to give him a 4 year contract with his injury record was madness .