Wage Bill

Someone in another Fred pointed out the fact that we must now have one of the very lowest wage bills in the division, considering some of the high earners leaving (gardener, Taylor, JJ, prints et al), and only Westwood being added.

Is MM gearing us up to be a leaner but better squad going forward?

Was it a condition laid down by HM?

Is it to finance more prem loanees?

Was it a symptom of having too much dross in our squad?

I know when cellino took over at weeds he said he cut cut their wage bill in half whilst improving the quality of the team. Could that, to whatever degree, happen here?

I was thinking similar to this. We have released lots if players with quite a few on a decent wage and not brought anybody in. Regardless of the takeover going through I would have expected several new bodies in just because of the we surely have an excess in the wage budget. Obviously there are hold ups because of the takeover, but I still thought SG would have had a few targets in mind that could have been brought in under the similar budget to last year.

Awaits the standard "be patient, it's only July etc"

There has definitely been a policy shift, and it appears to be a fairly recent one. We were told before the takeover malarkey, that we would have a significantly increased playing budget this year. I have no reason to doubt that, in fact a couple of statements from rival managers appear to back that up. Brighton apparently couldn't compete with what we were offering Kieran Westwood. Similar feelings were voiced by managers at the time we were linked with Keith Andrews and Andy Johnson. Then, it seems, everything went on hold, no more investment, not even on bringing the development squad up to scratch. That is a fairly radical step, and one that has hamstrung our preparations for the season ahead. It has to be down to the takeover. If that takeover is signed and sealed during the next couple of weeks, we will probably be OK. If however, it continues to drag on, then the freeze on spending will cause us huge problems this season.

MM tells us what we want to hear.

Then does the cheapest option available.

He owns us therefore he can do what he pleases.

He was 100% pro active to get us out of league one, he seems to be doing the bare minimum to keep us in the championship.

MM tells us what we want to hear.

Then does the cheapest option available.

He owns us therefore he can do what he pleases.

He was 100% pro active to get us out of league one, he seems to be doing the bare minimum to keep us in the championship.

I suppose some would argue that is him being an effective and shrewd businessman. Not pandering to our whining and polar opinions, but doing what he thinks is best for him or the club. Hopefully the two are the same thing.

There has definitely been a policy shift, and it appears to be a fairly recent one. We were told before the takeover malarkey, that we would have a significantly increased playing budget this year. I have no reason to doubt that, in fact a couple of statements from rival managers appear to back that up. Brighton apparently couldn't compete with what we were offering Kieran Westwood. Similar feelings were voiced by managers at the time we were linked with Keith Andrews and Andy Johnson. Then, it seems, everything went on hold, no more investment, not even on bringing the development squad up to scratch. That is a fairly radical step, and one that has hamstrung our preparations for the season ahead. It has to be down to the takeover. If that takeover is signed and sealed during the next couple of weeks, we will probably be OK. If however, it continues to drag on, then the freeze on spending will cause us huge problems this season.

let me help here...

if you were sellin' a car, prior to advertising you may wish to have the alloys 'done up', change the 'ice', have a service, tune up, professional valet etc...

there's a chance that having some or all the above done could be recouped in an enhanced sale price...

however, having agreed a sale price to a seller, and awaiting him to return with his money, how many would inject serious money into vehicle now?

you might have a puncture repaired, or take it to the jet wash, but no big bucks being thrown around... :milan:

let me help here...

if you were sellin' a car, prior to advertising you may wish to have the alloys 'done up', change the 'ice', have a service, tune up, professional valet etc...

there's a chance that having some or all the above done could be recouped in an enhanced sale price...

however, having agreed a sale price to a seller, and awaiting him to return with his money, how many would inject serious money into vehicle now?

you might have a puncture repaired, or take it to the jet wash, but no big bucks being thrown around... :milan:

Yes I understand why it's happening, it's how long it takes for the deal to be done that would be a concern. If it can be sorted, signed and sealed within the next couple of weeks, we should be OK. If it drags on indefinitely, then we will need to take the brake off. We are probably, what, about 6 weeks behind other teams not embroiled in takeover talks? As I said, if it's resolved positively, and quickly, then great. A further protracted period of negotiation, followed by the deal falling through, and we'd have a problem. Not an insurmountable one, but a problem nevertheless. I'm not unduly worried at the moment, but if it's not done and dusted by the time we play Brighton, I'll start to worry.

We were apparently losing £5m a year, so shifting a few high earners off the wage bill doesn't necessarily mean that those same wages are available on the budget again even with the increased income from the shirt sponsorship. The takeover, if/when it happens will presumably see an increase in the available budget but until then we'll probably need to be working within the financial constraints of "no takeover".

However, the signing of another goalkeeper on what would presumably be a fair wedge would be a very strange signing if the budget was really restrictive so that's an indicator to me that the takeover is happening and despite the unforeseen delays we're just going to have to wait it out. It's quite worrying that we have a worse squad than the one which finished last season very poorly with less than a fortnight to go until the new season, but we should hopefully be in a position to strengthen before the end of the transfer window and even after that there's the loan window where we could potentially loan players who we've got lined up to buy in January. 

Guest tha_knows

Yes I understand why it's happening, it's how long it takes for the deal to be done that would be a concern. If it can be sorted, signed and sealed within the next couple of weeks, we should be OK. If it drags on indefinitely, then we will need to take the brake off. We are probably, what, about 6 weeks behind other teams not embroiled in takeover talks? As I said, if it's resolved positively, and quickly, then great. A further protracted period of negotiation, followed by the deal falling through, and we'd have a problem. Not an insurmountable one, but a problem nevertheless. I'm not unduly worried at the moment, but if it's not done and dusted by the time we play Brighton, I'll start to worry.

It'll not happen by the time we play Brighton that's cast iron certainty

As long as it's done in time to bring some players in before the window shuts I'm not bothered. It's frustrating but MM must be one of the most experienced men in English football at handling take-overs. We just have to trust him. I agree it's not ideal timing but I'd rather look at it as glass half full than half empty. If we can keep the first team fit (big if I know) I'm sure we will be fine until the investment comes. 

To be a strong and competetive team in this league we need to have a budget that will attarct the types of Fryatt. Quality championship player yet available on a free transfer. Its not all about transfer fees

Quite possibly we may now have to pay big bucks to find an equivalent striker Only a few players of his age and quality available on a free and they tend to get snapped up pretty quickly