Waddle trending on Twitter

Guest _Ibbo_

Absolutely 100% spot on.

Your organise and build from the back. 

Get the defence sorted 1st then everything follows though from there, and its all about a Team not individual players. 

Edited by _Ibbo_

Not that great.

Who should he have picked in defence instead? He talks about not picking the best 11, if he was Cole would have been in the side. Building from the back that is the best defence Hodgson had as his disposal. 

Before the game everyone wanted to keep the same team that put in a good show against Italy. Then when we lose he's criticised for picking the media's team or the best individuals. At the end of the day we still would have f*cking lost no matter what the team was.

He's right about the Premier League, but that's been painfully obvious for years. No point moaning and complaining after every major tournament knock out, nothing will change until football in this country is given a complete shake up. Hodgson in my opinion is doing the best job with what he has.

Not that great.

Who should he have picked in defence instead? He talks about not picking the best 11, if he was Cole would have been in the side. Building from the back that is the best defence Hodgson had as his disposal. 

Before the game everyone wanted to keep the same team that put in a good show against Italy. Then when we lose he's criticised for picking the media's team or the best individuals. At the end of the day we still would have f*cking lost no matter what the team was.

He's right about the Premier League, but that's been painfully obvious for years. No point moaning and complaining after every major tournament knock out, nothing will change until football in this country is given a complete shake up. Hodgson in my opinion is doing the best job with what he has.

I rake the point about lack of top class defenders available to choose from, but the essence of Waddle's point remains true. Most teams coming to the World Cup, including the not so fancied ones, have a settled core team, an established style of play and some clear idea about what their strengths and weaknesses are and how to put all that together to get results.

Hodgson was still experimenting with players all the way through to the end of the pre WC friendlies, swapping players around alarmingly. He should have known much earlier who his best players were and been working on moulding them into a coherent integrated unit where they all knew each other's game, what their jobs were, how to operate as a team to get results.

Props to him for picking a younger squad and giving some emerging talent a shot, but he still needed to bed them down as a solid working team. Forget that they showed some of that promise against Italy. The important thing was to have got at least a draw in that game and a win against Uruguay.

I rake the point about lack of top class defenders available to choose from, but the essence of Waddle's point remains true. Most teams coming to the World Cup, including the not so fancied ones, have a settled core team, an established style of play and some clear idea about what their strengths and weaknesses are and how to put all that together to get results.

Hodgson was still experimenting with players all the way through to the end of the pre WC friendlies, swapping players around alarmingly. He should have known much earlier who his best players were and been working on moulding them into a coherent integrated unit where they all knew each other's game, what their jobs were, how to operate as a team to get results.

Props to him for picking a younger squad and giving some emerging talent a shot, but he still needed to bed them down as a solid working team. Forget that they showed some of that promise against Italy. The important thing was to have got at least a draw in that game and a win against Uruguay.

Sorry take not rake

Best team performance I've seen yet from anyone at the World Cup has to be Chile against Brazil. They worked tirelessly for each other and not for themselves.

England seemed a little disjointed last night. Funnily enough I think Johnson, Baines, Henderson and Rooney had better games than against Italy. Jagielka looked a weaker link last night and I'm not just saying that because of his old Blunts connections. Cahill was my MOM and it may have made sense to have brought his Chelsea partener Terry along who know each others game.

All hindsight now.

As has been pointed out many many times. This doesn't help.http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/24467371

Spain have had a shocker, but at least they can point to success in the past where as we simply can't. Until something is done with the Premier league and the "jobs for the boys" in the FA then were always going to suffer.

Edited by marshy

As has been pointed out many many times. This doesn't help.http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/24467371

True enough, but as Waddle was trying to point out, England still has better players to pick from than Uruguay, Suarez and Cavani apart. They should have had the players and game to pull Uruguay to bits at the back, particularly given the promise from the Italy game. But on the night Uruguay with their bunch of so-so players in defence and midfield played better as a team, and to a more effective game plan.

Not that great.

This is actually spot on, its easy for ex players to rant after the event but Chris has never been successful as a manager - Hodgson has.

Best team performance I've seen yet from anyone at the World Cup has to be Chile against Brazil. They worked tirelessly for each other and not for themselves.

England seemed a little disjointed last night. Funnily enough I think Johnson, Baines, Henderson and Rooney had better games than against Italy. Jagielka looked a weaker link last night and I'm not just saying that because of his old Blunts connections. Cahill was my MOM and it may have made sense to have brought his Chelsea partener Terry along who know each others game.

All hindsight now.

Pretty sure chile are in a different group to Brazil unless I am watching a different World Cup

lol

Pretty sure chile are in a different group to Brazil unless I am watching a different World Cup

lol

Babuskha and I live in a different parallel universe to you where Chile and Brazil are in the same WC group. In your parallel universe it was Spain who lost to Chile.

Thanks to Neil for endowing the Owlstalk server with quantum-entanglement technology allowing it to act as a multiverse nexus point so we can communicate with each other through it.

By the way, in my universe the sky is green.

True enough, but as Waddle was trying to point out, England still has better players to pick from than Uruguay, Suarez and Cavani apart. They should have had the players and game to pull Uruguay to bits at the back, particularly given the promise from the Italy game. But on the night Uruguay with their bunch of so-so players in defence and midfield played better as a team, and to a more effective game plan.

I agree. For me, you take Suarez out of that side & I think the result would have been different. We have plenty of talented individuals, but we do not have ANY world class ones which was the difference last night, and if you haven't got world class then you have to all battle hard for each other & make up the difference e.g Chile. Most sides in the competition have some "world class players", Messi, Pirlo, Ronaldo, Suarez, Nemar, just to name some. We IMHO don't have any. Just talented ones that play along side. 

Guest conisbrough

Think waddle was correct in team lacked bread and butter players of in Cantona's words "water carriers". He talked about building a team and this point is correct we had a team of individuals. Think defence to midfield connection was missing in both games. Not enough efence minded players.

Gerard has had a very poor tournament. His deadball delivery has on the whole been poor. Rooney almost made one look good by heading against bar but most were over hit.In addition his lack of running power was obvious. In a world cup you need plenty of energy and he looked sapped of strength think Premier league near miss sapped all his strength. He was playing on left in first game between Rooney and Baines,he escaped criticism but for me was as much at fault as Rooney.

The centre halves got little protection from midfield in both games so thought they did well. If you have attacking football backs you need defence minded midfield players.

I bet Liverpool supporters are proud today - They pay the guy that messed up to provide the goals and the guy that scored 'em

you should know by now Saurez is victimised. He's not the racist cannibal everyone makes him out to be. He probably enjoys feeding seagulls

I agree. For me, you take Suarez out of that side & I think the result would have been different. We have plenty of talented individuals, but we do not have ANY world class ones which was the difference last night, and if you haven't got world class then you have to all battle hard for each other & make up the difference e.g Chile. Most sides in the competition have some "world class players", Messi, Pirlo, Ronaldo, Suarez, Nemar, just to name some. We IMHO don't have any. Just talented ones that play along side. 

Rooney at his very best approaches world class, but he has not quite hit those heights for a while now. We no longer have a world class defender - we used to have Rio.

Best team performance I've seen yet from anyone at the World Cup has to be Chile against Brazil. They worked tirelessly for each other and not for themselves.

England seemed a little disjointed last night. Funnily enough I think Johnson, Baines, Henderson and Rooney had better games than against Italy. Jagielka looked a weaker link last night and I'm not just saying that because of his old Blunts connections. Cahill was my MOM and it may have made sense to have brought his Chelsea partener Terry along who know each others game.

All hindsight now.

I must have missed this game. gutted.

I meant to say Chile butt versus Spain. I've just taken myself off to the corrective training facility for a good old shoeing!!

Thank you to everyone who pointed out my mistake...you'll be rewarded in heaven.

Edited by Babushka1867