Owlstalk 6-a-side football tournament - Sunday 27th July

From the perspective of AFC Owlstalk Newbies -

Started off well against JDS and drew 1-1 - draw about the right result but their goal was very dodgy - their player claimed a throw in that wasn't theirs and they scored from it. Not happy.

Second game we controlled against Crystal Phallus but two errors cost us. The first by some unwitting fool at the back who judged the flight of the ball all wrong to let SiJ in (who finished exquisitely), the second from our normally reliable keeper Eccy_Owl, who apparently made a gaffe from a 40 yard lob, though I didn't see it. To compound matter worse Eccy's brother Josh broke his leg/ankle/lungs and missed the rest of the tournament, leaving us with no subs.

We knew we had to start playing a bit and against the old foe AFC Owlstalk Classic we deserved the 2-0 win.

Needed another win against Hargreaves' Hair and got it comfortably - running away with a 7-0 scoreline. Once we got to two we knew goal difference might come into it so went for the throat. HH gave up after the third.

Needed a point to qualify for the final against Buzz's Select Champions, but deservedly won 2-1 to make sure.

We were all blowing out our arses for the final and were undone by a quick breakaway goal.

Think JDS were worthy winners and always good to see my old mate Ryan who played for them.

Eccy was Neuer-esque in goal and Klose-esque outfield. The young lad Brad was very good and went in goal for the last two games and again did fine. Paul as usual dominated the midfield in every game - a real class act, his mate Matt was a decent player too. Luke did well up front, but only when he wore his black tank top. I did alright at the back bar the afore-mentioned duff that SiJ will always hold against me. As for Olu... I hope you all enjoyed playing against him.

Bez had one job - chief financier - and he walked off without paying the pitch hire fee...

Enjoyed the day, summat different for a Sunday afternoon - hopefully everyone had a good laugh.

See you all again next year, or sooner if you want to get involved in the Kevin Wright Memorial Shield (11-a-side) - check back for updates on when that is.

I thought at 1-1 we were piling the pressure on and thought we could grab a winner, but the long ball and poor keeping cost us on that lol

Stand out players for me -

JDS' keeper was hard to get past, and I think it was young JDS himself at the back - he's a solid defender. They also had the Wright brothers who were quality as usual.

Crystal Phallus had Hack Abusi's cultured left foot and the tall guy with the Team GB top on who was a threat.

Didn't see much of Owlstalk Classics to be honest.

Hargreaves' Hair gave up against us but I know Sharpey up front is a nippy forward.

Some of Bez's mates were very good.

As for us, Olu was just a beast as usual, and Paul controls it in midfield.

I really enjoyed today, cheers for organising lads. Decent to play in a tournament that was played in really good spirit. 

Just wish our team had a couple of subs, legs felt heavy after the second game. But I was pleased to finally bag one in the last game against JDS 

Guest SouthStand Gentleman

We had a full compliment.

Agree about Hack btw.

Scored a great goal in our last game.

Hack was great as a sweeper, we only lost by more than 1 goal when he wasn't in defence. 

Who didn't turn up? Did they pay?

We were the same - played with no subs for 5 out of 6 games.

How much for charity Bez?

Don't forget to pay...

Oi_you_owl and JimmyTrotter - but they had paid though.

Enjoyable, just sad I wasn't there to pick up my miss of the tournament award.

Its ok Binky you are getting it presented to you against Newcastle on Wednesday. We want a replay of it too.

Forgot to pick up that weeing sondico ball, anyone got it?

I put it with two yellow balls when the man came out so should imagine Hillsborough College have it.

Also well done and thanks Kivo and Bez for Sorting it. Really enjoyed my 3rd tournament. 

I said it earlier too but had we stuck away all our chances we would have won. Oh well least iv finally scored. Binky would have missed it.

My right foot is killing.

Going to be stiff as flip tomorrow.

I have an astroturf burn weeping away merrily and I've took a knock to the ribs I broke in December. My right shinpad has dug into my ankle and my feet are blistered.

It's was great all the same, being in the company of so many people united by a shared hatred of Buzz.

I have an astroturf burn weeping away merrily and I've took a knock to the ribs I broke in December. My right shinpad has dug into my ankle and my feet are blistered.

It's was great all the same, being in the company of so many people united by a shared hatred of Buzz.

Likewise, get some Sudocrem on it, works a treat.  I've also got a great big stud mark half way up my leg, which looks interesting.

As others have said, I really enjoyed it Today.  Some decent football played by a good bunch of lads in the right spirit - a credit to all who were there and Buz/Kivo for getting it up and running.  

My right foot is killing.

Going to be stiff as flip tomorrow.

Soak your foot alternately in ice cold water followed by warm water , should ease the pain a little and reduce swelling if any ,worked for me many a time SiJ