Some old newspaper clippings

No real reason to share other than I'm bored. Enjoy.

Sheffield Telegraph 1890 -

1890_03_29_Sheffield_Daily_Telegraph_Cup

Sheffield Indepenent 1892 -

1892_08_24_Sheffield_Independent_New_sta

Sheffield Telegraph 1893 - Illustration of Wednesday's FA Cup semi-final in Manchester

1894_03_10_Sheffield_Evening_Telegraph_T

Sheffield Telegraph 1899 -

1899_04_07_Sheffield_Evening_Telegraph_P

Sheffield Wednesday fc on the stand roof not "the Wednesday".....team pic Sheffield Wednesday .....newspaper article "the Wednesday"........confusing

Club founded as "The Wednesday" but commonly known as "Sheffield Wednesday". Formally adopted "Sheffield Wednesday" c.1927.

Guest zipzippy

They were considering having the pitch parallel to penistone road.....bloody hell ......how many times would shefki kuqi have blasted the ball over over the south stand into the don when shooting on goal?.....great foresight by the then board

Guest zipzippy

Few more points...

The olive grove stand looks like the main stand at saltergate

W betts looks a reyt hard mean mo fo....

players wore shin pads too

Anyone know what years we wore the Blackburn type shirt... Was this before the stripes or were we trying to copy what were the best team at the time?

Club founded as "The Wednesday" but commonly known as "Sheffield Wednesday". Formally adopted "Sheffield Wednesday" c.1927.

that's why I can´t agree with those who say we should change back to " the Wednesday"......we´ve always been Sheffield Wednesday even when when we wasn't officially .

No real reason to share other than I'm bored. Enjoy.

Sheffield Telegraph 1890 -

1890_03_29_Sheffield_Daily_Telegraph_Cup

Sheffield Indepenent 1892 -

1892_08_24_Sheffield_Independent_New_sta

Sheffield Telegraph 1893 - Illustration of Wednesday's FA Cup semi-final in Manchester

1894_03_10_Sheffield_Evening_Telegraph_T

Sheffield Telegraph 1899 -

1899_04_07_Sheffield_Evening_Telegraph_P

I wonder if the fans at the time were against the move

No debate here up to 1927 we were 'The Wednesday' ! I can't think why on earth the journalists of the day would refer to us as Sheffield Wednesday lol

but it wasn't just the journalists was it ,the club had a whacking great sign on the olive grove stand saying Sheffield Wednesday fc so that's how they thought of themselves as well. Edited by torryowl

There had been a vote by the shareholding to move to a site in the Darnall area, Mr Dixon dropped his price significantly for the Owlerton plot and the rest, as they say, is history.

For anyone interested in the name Owlerton, it dates back before Wulfric and the like. Somewhere in the Owlerton area stood a large wooden communal building known in early Olde English or even one of the Norse languages as an Ojla, pronounced OWLA, the community along with the Ojla was sacked by the Saxones.

The Ojla along with the new English word Owlerton lives on.

For more info on early S6 up to the James 1st period see Lynda Whiteley-Valasquez.