Planning ahead

Guest SheffieldOwl8

Guest SheffieldOwl8

Providing we keep hold of players like Loovens, Semedo, Hutchinson, Reda, Kirkland and at a push Gooch. As well as not losing any of our main players. Where do you think this stands us for next season.

In what positions do you think we need players and which players are they?

Having a look at the free transfer market for the end of this season, there is quality in there. Players like Fryatt, Ledesma, Vaz Te, Lua Lua, Faye and Burke.

Opinions?

We need four solid and established players. A CB, CM, ST and a winger who can cross.

This ^

I'd stretch to two centre halves minimum though. At least one needs to have some pace and be of a good age, perhaps this'll be a Prem player on a season long loan.

A goal scoring central midfielder. Possibly a second central midfielder but decisions would need to be made on McCabe and Corry.

A winger who can cross is a big one for me. Players like Brunt and Treacy offer you decent shape defensively as they are rarely caught up field but, more importantly, they offer at least 4/5/6 quality balls in per home game.

Playing two pacey wingers high and wide has it's advantages, particularly away, but if we want to progress we need to have a variety of options.

The goalscorer - enough said. Fryatt or similar.

This ^

I'd stretch to two centre halves minimum though. At least one needs to have some pace and be of a good age, perhaps this'll be a Prem player on a season long loan.

A goal scoring central midfielder. Possibly a second central midfielder but decisions would need to be made on McCabe and Corry.

A winger who can cross is a big one for me. Players like Brunt and Treacy offer you decent shape defensively as they are rarely caught up field but, more importantly, they offer at least 4/5/6 quality balls in per home game.

Playing two pacey wingers high and wide has it's advantages, particularly away, but if we want to progress we need to have a variety of options.

The goalscorer - enough said. Fryatt or similar.

Agree with this, and I'd go further, I think we can only play with two out and out pacy wingers if we play a five in midfield. In a 442 system, they leave us too stretched. It becomes very difficult for us to control games

Providing we keep hold of players like Loovens, Semedo, Hutchinson, Reda, Kirkland and at a push Gooch

We will then need to think about who we bring in on loan to when we inevitably have to replace half of these players

Reda should be released,  and I would be looking at going after somebody like Roger Johnson as my main priority for CB over Loovens,  Onyewu wont be here anyway but we need somebody reliable and consistent in there, otherwise we'll be bringing in the likes of Oshilaja on loan out of desperation again

Watching Burnley's promotion from the weekend, I didn't know they only paid a fee for one player.

You can operate in the free market and find success in this league. If we can make 2 or 3 quality signings on a free and bring in 1 or 2 good season long loans we can greatly improve the squad without breaking the bank.

I'd like us to re-sign Kirkland, Semedo and Loovens. I'd also sign Hutchinson, but only if the contract is right. I'd then sign a CB (St Ledger?) with another young CB coming in on loan, a wide player with some genuine delivery (Treacy?) and a striker. Could maybe look at another signing and another loan if the right players become available and depending on who we release.

I don't think we are a million miles away by any means. We need to add quality in the right areas, not rip things up.

Edited by sheffield_dave

Personally I'd like us to avoid using the loan market where possible for next season. If we have to use it, then full seasons or short terms for covering injuries if required.

None of this month to month nonsense which doesn't allow us to plan ahead.

We all know the centre of the squad needs strengthening (CB, CM, CF).

I'm not sure on bringing in another winger to cross a ball... we've shown our style of play is enough to get the goals and that type of delivery may not be what we need.

You'd imagine we'll be offloading quite a few players with contracts expiring, hopefully we'll be able to take burnley's lead here and work with a smaller squad of quality and really ensure they keep their fitness levels up.

In reality I can't see us improving much on where we are this season, maybe just creeping up into the second half of the table (they'd probably call that a playoff push this season).

But if we can do that, with all our own players whilst trimming excess from the squad I think we'll be set up well for the future and I'd definitely call that good progress whilst being quite realistic.

We were forced to use the loan market to cover an abnormal amount of injuries in midfield and defence. How many players of our own would we have needed just to cover the the injuries we sustained? I don't think it would be viable to have a squad that size. In attack, that was a different matter. To start the season with just the two, inexperienced strikers, and try and rely on a series of short term loans, let us down badly.

Hoping we sort out the key out-of-contract players in the coming weeks. We've been mathematically safe now for a week or so, therefore I expect negotiations on new contracts to be well under way.

I sincerely hope we learn from the past couple of seasons and get our plans realised early. Obviously, we have to wait on quality loan signings, but we have the opportunity to move some real earners off the books this summer and bring in quality over quantity frees - and well before we head away for pre-season.

Just think what we could achieve given our second half of the season showings for the past two seasons if we can actually get off to a decent start for a change!

Edited by oh_weds_we_love_you

Hoping we sort out the key out-of-contract players in the coming weeks. We've been mathematically safe now for a week or so, therefore I expect negotiations on new contracts to be well under way.

I sincerely hope we learn from the past couple of seasons and get our plans realised early. Obviously, we have to wait on quality loan signings, but we have the opportunity to move some real earners off the books this summer and bring in quality over quantity frees - and well before we head away for pre-season.

Just think what we could achieve given our second half of the season showings for the past two seasons if we can actually get off to a decent start for a change!

Quite, it's clear as day, our summer preparation for the new season doesn't actually work, we are always playing catch up

Guest wilyfox

Will be interesting to see if Gray does things any different over the summer. What we need and what we get aren't always the same.

Absolutely

Top 12, maybe even 10 would be very possible

I personally think that Gray will do things differently to any manager we've had in the past.

He has a very patient passing build up style. I think he will be looking at technically gifted players who are also willing to put the graft in (like Maguire).

In the past you could kinda guess who we were going to sign but this year will surprise everyone. I believe Gray will be looking at younger players released by premier league academies rather than journeymen.

Personally I'd like us to avoid using the loan market where possible for next season. If we have to use it, then full seasons or short terms for covering injuries if required.

None of this month to month nonsense which doesn't allow us to plan ahead.

I agree with where you're coming from BUT I'm all for the loan system being in play. I'd take quality players on a season long loans if needs be.

A top centre half and top striker may be hard to come by on free transfers.

Firstly don't sign Reda !

Then we need a young cb 2 wingers a cm and 2 strikers.

That's if we resign Kirkland Loovens Semedo and Hutchinson.

Id also look to offload Zayatte Coke? Maghoma and Madine. Helan would ONLY be back up fullback as would Palmer.

Players I would like

Michael Keane

Keith Trecey

Federico Macheda

Chris Eagles

Gary Gardner

Another striker. Should have paid for Wickham in

January