Worst than last season?

Guest JonTheOwl66

So next season the bottom 5 teams dont win a game all season, we finish on 59 points and are sat in the final play off place.

The reason is the other 18 teams take points off each other all season and we have no clear top 2/4 like this season.

Do we still need to go on about point totals?

Yes. Of course we do.

Points per game under Gray this season is better than the total points per game last season. Considering where we were in December that represents progress. Not just style but substance as well.

Very much agree. But, again, as a whole our season has been a damp fart IMO and we've only survived because other teams have been much crapper than us!

Hardly Gray's fault though if we finish on less.

Our start under DJ this season was somehow worse than it was last year.

Anyone who doesn't think we've come on from then is delusional and should follow Celtic if they want success every season.

Guest CageFightingOwl

And it's only because the teams you've listed are terrible that we aren't fighting for our lives again. If we had decent teams like last season, we'd be in deep do-do now! FACT!

Edit: What's our record like against these 'terrible' teams too? Scary stuff!

Thats the whole point of the f'kin league system.

A league is decided over 46 games, thats how it goes.

Last season was a freak season, the bottom sides just kept winning.

This season its been more realistic and in line with every other season.

At the moment over 44 games we are the 15th best team this season in the championship.

Why are we even looking at last season?

Gaylords.

Guest JonTheOwl66

So come 3rd on 90 points but win the league the season after on 89 points, you've improved?

You have to judge it on what everyone else does.

Maybe teams have less points because games were tougher and teams were more equal?

The thing is, we arent in that position. When were challenging top 6 - then that position debate can be brought into question.

But for now.. we are nowhere near the top 6. Therefore we are concentrating on the bottom half of the table.

In our position - what constitutes better performance, more points or higher in the table?

Our position hasn't improved to such a degree that we can comprehensively say we have progressed.

Forget teams above us.

Guest JonTheOwl66

Hardly Gray's fault though if we finish on less.

Our start under DJ this season was somehow worse than it was last year.

Anyone who doesn't think we've come on from then is delusional and should follow Celtic if they want success every season.

Nobody is blaming Gray.

Guest JonTheOwl66

Bet you're a barrel of laughs to sit with at games, the epitome of positiveness.

Yep. Because instead of discussing how we've performed on the day I instead discuss how we've not actually progressed this season.

Obviously.

Guest JonTheOwl66

Thats the whole point of the f'kin league system.

A league is decided over 46 games, thats how it goes.

Last season was a freak season, the bottom sides just kept winning.

This season its been more realistic and in line with every other season.

At the moment over 44 games we are the 15th best team this season in the championship.

Why are we even looking at last season?

Gaylords.

lol

The stupidity of the penultimate line in this post is ludicrous. Absolutely laugh out loud.

YES I MEAN, LETS COMPARE OUR PERFORMANCES TO TWO YEARS AGO WHEN WE WERE IN LEAGUE 1

OR EVEN BETTER, LETS GO BACK TO WHEN WE WERE A PREMIER LEAGUE TEAM.

MY, HAVENT WE PROGRESSED!

Am I being stupid?

To me, the only tangible way of comparing seasons is by looking at points total is it not? That's the only way to compare your own performance year on year.

Your position in the table depends on other team's performances!

End of the day... Gray wasnt the manager for the whole season.

If this time next year we haven't progressed, then yes maybe we should be complaining.

Exactly! I'm very happy with Gray, done an unbelievable job with a squad that is constantly changing!

I just don't know how Mandaric and the press quantify this 'improved' season overall. But hey ho!

Guest CageFightingOwl

In 2011/12 Sheffield Utd finished 3rd in League One on 90 pts and did not get promoted.

The season after

2012/13 Doncaster Rovers finished 1st with 86 points and did get promoted.

So did Doncaster have a poor season compared to Sheffield United the season before??

Guest JonTheOwl66

Am I being stupid?

To me, the only tangible way of comparing seasons is by looking at points total is it not? That's the only way to compare your own performance year on year.

Your position in the table depends on other team's performances!

You most certainly are not being stupid. You're absolutely bang on.

People may go on about 'what if we finish in the playoffs with the same amount of points' miss the point

We have been in the Championship for almost two seeasons now. So naturally we compare the two to see if we've 'progressed'

The intangible factors (I.e. personal opinion) such as performance on the pitch, infrastructure off it etc etc indicate we have progressed.

The facts (I.e. points total) indicate we havent.

We are higher in the table because other teams have performed worse. That is a rock solid fact. Nobody can debate that - hence the lower points total but higher in the table.

There are other people saying the only thing that matters is us over a 46 game season.

Okay. Ignoring EVERY other team in the division, how have we pprogressed when our points total has been lower than last year?

I understand that Gray has come in and rejuvenated us. Great. But as CFO said - this is a 46 game campaign. We cant ignore the first half just to suit our argument.