Worst than last season?

Just to be a negative chump...

We finished on 58 pts last season, in a much more competitive Championship. This year, it looks likely that we'll finish short of this.

54 pts went down last year - so am I right in saying that means we're a worse side than last year? At best, we haven't made any progress at all!

Oh please God don't start this one again, we spent 5 pages arguing with JTO on this last time...

Just fed up of all these optimistic folk! Facts suggest the league is easier this season yet we're not as good as last year?!?!

Just to be a negative chump...

We finished on 58 pts last season, in a much more competitive Championship. This year, it looks likely that we'll finish short of this.

54 pts went down last year - so am I right in saying that means we're a worse side than last year? At best, we haven't made any progress at all!

Considering how many we had won by December under DJ I would say getting to where we are has been an achievement in itself.

The points per game under Gray must be better than the points per game last season and we are definitely playing a more attractive brand of attacking football, just need a couple of defenders.

We were going backwards until DJ was given the boot but progress has certainly been made since. 

It's a bit harsh comparing points totals, so many other things to consider such as quality of teams last season, runs that so many were on meaning we had to keep picking up points etc.

The main thing is league position and we're likely to finish higher this season.

In December I genuinely thought we were down. I couldn't see where the next goal was coming from, let alone a win. 

When thinking about this seasons progression, I don't even think the start we had should be counted because that is NOT the same side we are now. We've been transformed. Our start to the season & ridiculous luck with injuries has cost us a top half finish, no doubt about it. 

This season, or at least the second half, has been a MASSIVE step forward. You'd be foolish to think otherwise.

I mean, last season we played 'Boro on the final day. We had Steve Howard up front, Olofinjana & Prutton in midfield, Danny flipping Pugh at left back & JJ was our 'biggest threat'.

Now look at us. As a side we are 10x better. 

Edited by FlyingOwl

Considering how many we had won by December under DJ I would say getting to where we are has been an achievement in itself.

The points per game under Gray must be better than the points per game last season and we are definitely playing a more attractive brand of attacking football, just need a couple of defenders.

We were going backwards until DJ was given the boot but progress has certainly been made since.

Definitely this, we're finishing on a lower points total because of the utter clown we had in charge for the first half of the season. We've made so much progress under sg, playing attractive football, more balanced squad in terms of play style, got the fans and players on side. Yep, at the end of last season we had more points but we didn't think we'd be doing much better next season, whereas there seems to be a genuine prospect of us pushing on next year.

It's a bit harsh comparing points totals, so many other things to consider such as quality of teams last season, runs that so many were on meaning we had to keep picking up points etc.

The main thing is league position and we're likely to finish higher this season.

100% this.

There's 6 completely different teams in the league this year compared to last year. 25% of the league is different, yet people compare points totals as if it's the same.

We're a lot better than bottom 3 and have secured safety with games to spare.

Is that a better year than last year? Yes. 

Comparing points totals is completely irrelevant IMO

Guest mkowl

The facts may say one thing my eyes watching events on the pitch say we are better off - however we can improve another level further with astute recruitment in the summer.

The defence clearly needs strengthening, a midfielder and 2 strikers

We secured safety with 3 games to spare, compared to going down to game 46 last year.

We've made progress.

If we can increase that safety threshold by another 3 games next year with 6 to spare, we will have made progress again. And, by the nature of this league, that would also mean play-off aspirations.

That should be the target.

Someone could technically win the league on the same amount of points it took for someone to get relegated last season.

League position is all that matters and all you can compare for progression... well that and the quality of the football.

Right, going on this season, it's chalk and cheese points wise. I've worked it out as follows:

DJ averaged 0.68 pts per game.

SG averages 1.5 pts per game.

We'd be on 66 pts now (based on SG's performance - if he'd been in charge at start of season)... Which means we're a top 6 side!!!! I'm happy as chuff now! Playoffs at least next season!

Edited by siowls