Hillsborough - A perfect nurturing ground?

Guest domSWFC

Guest domSWFC

Seeing the huge success of players like Wickham and Barkley, does this make Sheffield Wednesday a more appealing move for young players that are going to be loaned out?

Obviously, these 2 lads were huge talents way before they came here. But Hillsborough gives young upcoming talents experience of playing in front of big, expectant crowds without having to be risked by parent clubs at Premiership standard.

Of course we can't keep relying on loans, but does this allow us to bring in just a few real quality additions that we couldn't afford to buy?

Guest domSWFC

But then again, didn't we "nurture" the likes of Tom Soares? And few others whose names I been fortunate to forget.

We had players like Soares and Feeney when we were on a downward spiral. I doubt he could have gone anywhere and come out a starlet. Now we're moving forward we can show ambition, and get youngsters with ambition to match, I hope.

It a great point and one that we should look to utilise when trying to negotiate for young loan players from the Prem.

Ross Barkley & Connor Wickham thrived with us. They not only had game opportunity, but they enjoyed playing for the football club. They improved playing in front of big crowds, who although have expectancy and put pressure on our players, we do support players well when they deserve it. That can only be a good thing for a young players confidence.

It's been an absolute pleasure watching Barkley & Wickham in Wednesday shirts. Two top talents and two players that will play for England numerous times.

I agree and I think that's the way the parent clubs have seen it. They've wanted to send them to Wednesday and Leeds because of the environment they would be playing in as it is similar to their own. There is also the expectation.

To his credit DJ was also building some good links with Man city and arsenal. Whilst Hillsborough is a bit different to the emirates we seem to he trusted to look after the young players

It a great point and one that we should look to utilise when trying to negotiate for young loan players from the Prem.

Ross Barkley & Connor Wickham thrived with us. They not only had game opportunity, but they enjoyed playing for the football club. They improved playing in front of big crowds, who although have expectancy and put pressure on our players, we do support players well when they deserve it. That can only be a good thing for a young players confidence.

It's been an absolute pleasure watching Barkley & Wickham in Wednesday shirts. Two top talents and two players that will play for England numerous times.

Top post BRADDAZ ;)

I would argue that Barkley" Thrived" while he was with us, in actual fact the TEAM spiraled downwards while he was here.

Thankfully we have moved on from being a nursrey for other clubs to, I hope, one where we can bring on our own young players, like Palmer and Laverey.

Guest Nilsson_is_God

I would argue that Barkley" Thrived" while he was with us, in actual fact the TEAM spiraled downwards while he was here.

Thankfully we have moved on from being a nursrey for other clubs to, I hope, one where we can bring on our own young players, like Palmer and Laverey.

I think it was more of trying to fit the team round him, he was quite clearly on a different wave length to the rest of our players.

As alluded to by Wickham himself, when he said his recent loan spell at Leeds had given him the belief that if the chance came at Sunderland, he would take it.

Probably because he couldn't stand the thought of going back there again!

His game thrived... in terms of playing a good level of football, in front on expectant crowd, while developing a side of his game that needed work (defensively).

Problem while he was here, was that we didn't get the best from him. This was down to Barkley's role in the team and the tactical instruction that was place on him by the manager. He was also playing in a team that was very defence minded, trying to play on the counter with Antonio and quite often Barkley was playing deeper in a deep midfield role.

Not to mention, we didn't try to play much football.

Just look at when Barkley was supporting forward players, coming onto the ball, facing the oppositions goal in the final 3rd. Check a couple of the goals he scored for us.

His loan spell helped in the development of his game. It was DJ fault, we didn't get the best from him, especially his attacking play.

Theres no doubt that Hillsborough has some very special qualities that premier clubs look for when loaning players out in preparation for hopefully premier careers

Big club

Large stadium

Big crowds

A sense of expectancy

Pressure

All things young players will have to come to terms with and overcome in order to play at the top level.

Some clubs look to send their players according to playing formation/styles - and they want their players played in their proper position

I think the upshot of it is not so much us as a club - more to do with the standard of player - Barklay and latterly Wickham have gone on to do well because they are good players and their experience on loan here would likely have helped them consolidate their mental attributes with their technical ability.

In that way we have been a good proving ground for them (although Connor is no stranger to Championship first team football)

But players like Ben Sahar, Graham Smith et al didn't go on to do well because frankly they were not much cop as players