Out of contract players- who stays, who goes

Based on these players.

Let go of:

Llera (not good enough)

Gardner (crock on big wages)

Taylor 

Prutton

JJ 

Reda (not our best left back, would consider as a CB but he is unproven at this level in that position)

Keep Loovens, Kirkland, Semedo, Onyewu

That should free up a STACK of wages to get a proper striker and cover other areas.

Agree with this

Sign - Loovens, Onyewu.

Re-sign - Reda, Semedo, Kirkland, JJ

Unsure - Llera, love him to bits maybe keep for back up

Get rid - Prutton, Taylor, Jameson

Sell / Release - Coke (not good enough) Zayatte (too many mistakes) Gardner (great player but think injury will finish him n on big wages)

McCabe get back n get him sorted for next season. Could be a real talent.

Madine - would have liked to have seen what he got offer rest of season n if not good enough then sell.

Dunno: Gardner, Davies.

Kirkland, Semedo and Loovens are our 3 priorities in my view. All had moments of quality this season. But the others... 

ONYEWU: Wanted to prove his fitness with us for the world cup. But i'm not sure he has! He's had a fair few good games here alongside Loovens. But he's had a few extra little injuries during his short stay. If he picks up any more, he may not get too much game time in Brazil resulting in an underwhelming amount of interest from other clubs come July. Then do we gamble on his fitness? I'm not so sure we should.

GARDNER: One big injury too many. A real shame after last season. Would like to see him and Loovens paired at the back but think that chance has gone.

JJ, PRUTTON, TAYLOR and LLERA: I've enjoyed watching JJ, Llera and Prutton on occasion but they all should be considered below our squad standard now. Any newcomers really need to be improving us and making the likes of Mattock, Maghoma, Madine and Coke work their socks off to get in our matchday squad. 

REDA: I think everyone likes Reda. But he's been blighted by injuries for a while. Often rushed back too soon over the last 2 years. But now we have Mattock and Helan ahead of him for the LB spot. For me Reda's physical and technical abilities are there and good enough. It's his concentration and awareness that let him down on occasion at Ch'ship level. But those are attributes that usually improve with age. Reda's 26, fairly young for a defender. Could it be worth Gray's time and Milan's money to keep him as a CB? Personally, i'd like to see us try. 

Keep:

Kirkland

Reda

Semedo

Llera

Think it's obvious that Kirkland & Semedo need to be kept on. I feel that our defensive depth is an issue highlighted this season. We all know that MM won't back Gray enough to sign 3 centre backs which is what we would need if Gooch was to move on & we let all our out of contract CB's leave. Llera is a liability at times, but he keeps himself in good shape and I'm fine to have him in the squad as 4th/5th choice CB. If he's not needed at all by January we can sell him/loan him out. Reda can play LB or CB & is still only 26. A valuable player to have around the squad & would be stupid to let him go. People talk about his injury record but Mattock's hardly kept injury free either has he? Neither Reda or Llera will be on massive wages, give them year extensions unless MM can fork out money for better 'squad players'

Try and do a deal for:

Onyewu - though I doubt he'll stay

Loovens - crucial

Let go of:

Prutton

JJ 

Taylor

Davies

Unfortunate that we have to move the likes of Prutton & JJ on. I like Prutton & would like to see him return one day in a coaching role. JJ's been a good servant but he's barely done anything this season. For the likes of Mayor or even Stobbs to get a chance next season we need to free up some room in the winger positions. Taylor has had little impact here, I still think he's a good CB and will stand by that...but he's coming towards the end of a decent career and it's best for him to move somewhere where he'll enjoy his final seasons. His family live in Birmingham so I could see him being somewhere like Walsall or even Coventry next season. Whilst Taylor needs to find somewhere to end his career Davies needs to find somewhere to properly start his career. Young lad, impressed for the Development Squad but realistically he's never gonna make it here. He should follow O'Donnell's lead and find a league one or two club who he will be first choice at. 

Undecided:

Gardner

It's a tricky situation but, once again considering our centre back issues, I'd offer him a deal. However I would only offer him a pay as you play contract with his wages dropping. If he plays so many games by January his wages can go back up & he can get another years extension. If he doesn't like it he can lump it, he won't get a better team with his injury record + age.

Keep

Semedo- 2 years

Kirkland- 2 years

Loovens- 2 years

Release- 

Martin Taylor

Miguel Llera

Anthony Gardner

Reda Johnson

Jermaine Johnson

Adam Davies

If we can keep Onyewu but I can't see it happening, releasing that lot will free up a lot of wages for us to sign some quality players. Promote Zayatte to 3rd choice centre back hopefully behind Loovens and Onyewu. Hoping Danny Mayor and Rhys McCabe will come back and save us some coin. 

Let's be realistic, Reda has to go.

It's a shame because he's a top bloke but we can't keep him for no reason

Squad depth.

We're a club with a chairman who is rightfully reluctant to fork out for a lot of players, he's already said he won't be bringing many in...a few 'key players'.

Reda is someone who can player a number of positions if needed, he's 26..won't be on much...and will stick his balls on the line.

Plus he's a natural leader, on & off the pitch.

He's someone I'd hate to just release...give him a years deal and then by January if he's surplus to requirements & hasn't played then we loan him out or sell him on.  It'd be bad business sense to move on half decent utility players.

Keep:

Kirkland

Loovens

Onyewu (if possible)

Semedo

Release:

Llera

JJ

Reda

Taylor

Gardner

Prutton

Davies

Loan out:

Corry

McCabe

Mayor

I think these 3 really need to start impressing somewhere. Wouldn't get rid just yet as they are all still relatively young.

Also loan out  Coke and Zayatte if we cannot get rid permanently 

I'm led to believe Taylor and Gardner are both on hefty wages plus getting rid of a few others should free up some dosh for newbies

Squad depth.

We're a club with a chairman who is rightfully reluctant to fork out for a lot of players, he's already said he won't be bringing many in...a few 'key players'.

Reda is someone who can player a number of positions if needed, he's 26..won't be on much...and will stick his balls on the line.

Plus he's a natural leader, on & off the pitch.

He's someone I'd hate to just release...give him a years deal and then by January if he's surplus to requirements & hasn't played then we loan him out or sell him on.  It'd be bad business sense to move on half decent utility players.

Give him a years deal and if he hasn't played we sell him on? Who's going to pay money for a bloke who only has 6 months contract left and wouldn't pass a medical? Not going to happen

In a perfect world the rest of your post makes sense, but the truth is he can't play a number of positions if needed, when he's needed he's nowhere to be seen.

It's not squad depth if he doesn't even play half a season, 17 appearances last season and 21 this ( in all competitions ) is nowhere near good enough.

I like him, but he's no use to us, we don't really need him and we can't afford to pay him to sit on the sides, time to move on.

Give him a years deal and if he hasn't played we sell him on? Who's going to pay money for a bloke who only has 6 months contract left and wouldn't pass a medical? Not going to happen

In a perfect world the rest of your post makes sense, but the truth is he can't play a number of positions if needed, when he's needed he's nowhere to be seen.

It's not squad depth if he doesn't even play half a season, 17 appearances last season and 21 this ( in all competitions ) is nowhere near good enough.

I like him, but he's no use to us, we don't really need him and we can't afford to pay him to sit on the sides, time to move on.

I just don't want us to be in a position, come December or something, where we're playing Buxton at left back and Palmer at right back and god knows who else where because Mattock's got himself sent off again & Helan's out for 4 weeks....then see Reda over at Barnsley having been an ever present for them..scoring a couple along the way.

I just have a niggling feeling that he'd be someone we'd regret moving on for nothing. Kirkland had his injury issues years ago & he got over them. Reda could do the same.

I know it's all ifs and buts and maybes...and it's a good thing it's Gray's decision cos I haven't got a clue what to do for the best. I just can't see MM buying enough players to give us the depth we need to go a season not having to rely on poo poo emergency loans like Jordan Spence.

I just don't want us to be in a position, come December or something, where we're playing Buxton at left back and Palmer at right back and god knows who else where because Mattock's got himself sent off again & Helan's out for 4 weeks....then see Reda over at Barnsley having been an ever present for them..scoring a couple along the way.

I just have a niggling feeling that he'd be someone we'd regret moving on for nothing. Kirkland had his injury issues years ago & he got over them. Reda could do the same.

I know it's all ifs and buts and maybes...and it's a good thing it's Gray's decision cos I haven't got a clue what to do for the best. I just can't see MM buying enough players to give us the depth we need to go a season not having to rely on poo poo emergency loans like Jordan Spence.

Totally agree.

Looking at squad numbers: currently we have Buxton, Palmer, Mattock, Helan, Zayatte, Antonio, Maguire, Maghoma, Lee, Coke, Lavery, Nuhiu and Madine, 

Add Kirkland, Semedo, Loovens and the 5 Milan wants to bring in and that gives us a squad of 21 players, with the better talents from the dev. squad as back-up...I still think we'd find a place and a use for Reda in there at a relatively low cost. 

I'd offer contracts to...

Kirkland - 2 years

Loovens - 2 years

Semedo - 2 years

Oneywu - 2 years

Gardner - 6 month contract to prove fitness

Reda - 6 month contract to prove fitness

Hutchinson - 6 month contract to prove fitness

Release

JJ

Prutton

Taylor

Llera

Loan out / sell for peanuts

Madine

Mayor

Corry

McCabe

In order to get rid of so many we will need to be lining up replacements by end of season. We could not take a depleted squad into pre season and the team would be patched up for first 5 games come August. If we act now in moves we could rid dead wood and bring in some improved players, I just fear we could go lower league options. A lower league player I fancy is like freeman at Stevenage who will get relegated this year and we need a beast of deep lying cen mid in games where we have to put men behind the ball

If keep reda and offer him a deal reflective of his fitness. If someone else wants to offer more then fair play to them.

I'd give Madine 6 months to prove himself as his value will be quite low now anyway I'd imagine. New deals for Semedo, Kirkland, loovens.

Coke would probably need moving out on loan. Release llera, Prutton, JJ.

Keep:

Kirkland

Loovens

Onyewu (if possible)

Semedo

Release:

Llera

JJ

Reda

Taylor

Gardner

Prutton

Davies

Loan out:

Corry

McCabe

Mayor

I think these 3 really need to start impressing somewhere. Wouldn't get rid just yet as they are all still relatively young.

Also loan out  Coke and Zayatte if we cannot get rid permanently 

I'm led to believe Taylor and Gardner are both on hefty wages plus getting rid of a few others should free up some dosh for newbies

This for me.

If keep reda and offer him a deal reflective of his fitness. If someone else wants to offer more then fair play to them.

I'd give Madine 6 months to prove himself as his value will be quite low now anyway I'd imagine. New deals for Semedo, Kirkland, loovens.

Coke would probably need moving out on loan. Release llera, Prutton, JJ.

Madine's not out of contract mate, got another year.