GARY MADINE GOAL MACHINE

What about Joe Mattock?

He smacked two blokes and two women in a brawl. Lucky to escape a custodial sentence by all accounts, SWFC still brought him to the club. 

The moral compass that is Owlstalk is very selective it seems. Would have been interesting to see the reaction had he been locked up during the L1 season, when he was at his best.

I'd get rid of both of them, regardless of how good they are. I'm ashamed that either of them are given the shirt.

How much rehabilitating does he need? After his arson and repeated criminal violence? 

There's charity and there's handouts but would you give handouts to someone who beat up your brother or father or set your house alight or threatened you or something?

Clubs have a duty to their community and we've got families and kids who support our club, Madine is a poor role model and it's things like this that will worsen our reputation,

which could be a bad thing when our chairman is looking to sell the club. The refusing of the money lending shirt sponsorship was the opposite and shed the club in good light,

something like this will damage our reputation.

I doubt our reputation will take much of a dive over this. You never know, with the help of the club he might just become a better person which can't be a bad thing.

To attract buyer's he'll be selling them into the good things about our club.

Anything bad no matter how slight or whatever is something that paints us in a bad light, hence the good decision to refuse the money lending shirt sponsorship.

What rubbish. Buyers will not give two craps about madine playing for us. They only care about turnover and the potential of the business. Has madine shagged your wife by any chance?

I'd get rid of both of them, regardless of how good they are. I'm ashamed that either of them are given the shirt.

Shall we get rid of Reda as well, for his scrape with the law? 

Let's get rid of anyone who's got some skeletons in the cupboard, i mean we're a moral club, with moral fans aren't we. 

At this rate, we won't have anyone left to play on Saturday! 

Edited by bigdan2003

I doubt our reputation will take much of a dive over this. You never know, with the help of the club he might just become a better person which can't be a bad thing.

Maybe he'll take the chance but he's also had numerous other chances.

Football clubs serve the community and they have families as supporters, 

the club rightly so deserved huge credit for refusing the money lending shirt sponsorship on moral grounds.

But thugs like Madine and Mattock paint us in a bad picture, the same way hooligans do or racist fans on twitter, etc

and what does that say to the community and families the club rely on and serve,

that players can wear the shirt when they've beaten up ordinary people and are no better than the common neanderthal thug?

Don't mind the club giving him a second chance, do mind the club's fans coming out with garbage like "he's better than Nuhiu". Madine's English, experienced professional in the English leagues. Madine's goals to minutes ratio in the Championship is?

What rubbish. Buyers will not give two craps about madine playing for us. They only care about turnover and the potential of the business. Has madine shagged your wife by any chance?

Mattock beat up someone's missus and him and Madine have attacked people's brothers or fathers.

That may not mean anything to you or some but that makes me ashamed of them representing our club,

a club that itself represents the community and a fanbase full of families and youngsters, etc

Edited by MilansMissingMarbles

meh.....

Happy to give the lad a chance but only time will tell if he's learned his lesson....words are cheap.

He's not a goal machine, he's a journeyman striker who had a purple patch in L1. As we all know its a big step up to this division. Its about the team, he's just a bit part player in something that has been part of our lives for generations and will continue to be so for the next 100 years. He would do well to remember that, but I wish him well all the same

Guest intercity0wl

Good. I hope he is genuine and has learnt his lesson. Deserves a second chance in my oppinion.

He might have learnt his lesson, but has it improved his football ability,  I hope he aint gone straight back on his original salary before his imprisonment, it could have gone a long way towards bringing  someone better in. Good luck to him, but i wont hold my breath.

Edited by intercity0wl

Mattock beat up someone's missus and him and Madine have attacked people's brothers or fathers.

That may not mean anything to you or some but that makes me ashamed of them representing our club.

I was merely pointing out that this will have no bearing on weather were sold or not, which was the only part of your post I found idiotic by the way.

Fwiw I'm neither here nor there about giving madine another chance, he acted like a complete thug like you say but what sort of society would it be if we didn't give people a chance to change? And from the statement it's clear this IS his last chance.

Hold on a cotton picking moment,

The reputation of the club and the famous name of Hillsborough was forever altered in the eyes of the public by the Tragedy.

The Swan Layne affair.

The De Canio push.

The Oldham riots and punishment.

All these were brought into the public spotlight by the media at the time.

The Madine episode has hardly been mentioned in the national press, therefore will hardly have had an effect on our reputation.

Morally I wont get into the rights or wrongs as eveyone is entitled to their own opinion.

Hopefully the younger fans will look at what he did and what his punishment was, and will think twice before throwing punches themselves.   

Fair enough if that's right but I'm still ashamed of the club having a criminal thug on our books and wearing the shirt.

I see the point about it making good business sense, and that will probably always take favour over morals, however although it's different

the club took the moral high ground over that proposed money borrowing shirt sponsorship by turning them down on moral grounds.

To me, it sends a bad message to our supporters, in particular our young supporters and any of us who have been victims of thugs like Madine,

who'll continue being paid far more than the majority of us even though he's wasted his talent with foolish acts of criminality, violence, etc

I'd prefer our club to wash our hands with him personally, but it wouldn't make ideal business sense, it's a tough decision but I can see why the club have

given him another chance even though I don't agree with it. Even though a club that shows moral sense and community feeling would give themselves a good reputation

which could in the long run be good business too, if you think about it. 

What do you think of Mattock and Reda then?

I was merely pointing out that this will have no bearing on weather were sold or not, which was the only part of your post I found idiotic by the way.

Fwiw I'm neither here nor there about giving madine another chance, he acted like a complete thug like you say but what sort of society would it be if we didn't give people a chance to change? And from the statement it's clear this IS his last chance.

It may not have any bearing on selling the club at all but the refusing of the money lending shirt sponsorship and things like that painted us in a good light

and may go some way to helping us attract future buyer's or enhance our reptuation in a favourable manner.

However it is damaging to our reputation and damages our place in the community, as a community/family club allowing thugs to steal a living.

It's not like it's his first chance, second or third chance either, he's had numerous chances already at our club and at Carlisle. 

What do you think of Mattock and Reda then?

What about Reda? I'm unaware of that.

I said earlier I'm ashamed of Mattock and Madine and I would get rid of both personally,

has they both damage our reputation and are stealing a living. And in the case of Madine

he's had numerous other chances already, I'm afraid.

Edited by MilansMissingMarbles

RichieB  -  Wickham and Maguire have had similar, if not better, runs recently for us.

Do we hear them being called goal machines?  And both are far better players than Madine imo.

If you look into this more closely you will realise that neither Wickham or Maguire rhymes with machine, whereas Madine I think does.

Absolutely NOBODY in the outside world cares.

We're not Manchester United. Nobody will give a hoot about a week after he comes back, including the vast majority of our fans.

True, like no-one cared about the handball incident but I stand by my point that it's not a good decision in the long run

for a club based in a community, with families and youngsters, and supporters who may have been victims of that type of violence.

It makes perfect business sense but in the long run it might not, unlike the money lending shirt sponsorship which painted the club in a good light and rightly so.