Gary Gardner

Guest parsimmon

Villa fans will be able to pass a better judgement than us, but I do think he has done quite well with the squad that he's got, although most of them are his own signings

Yeah their fans obviously know a lot more, I just think they could be falling victim to the "I want it now" mentality

You dont win anything with kids apparently, but give it a few years, let those young kids develop, which they've had to do the hard way and they all seem to have done well, and I could see Villa being solid in mid table again, maybe even competing for cup honours.

Patience is a lost art in football though, look at us.

I really rate him as a manager.

He has a certain ethos he sticks by. Got a mate who is a Norwich supporter and when he became manager there he had a clear out from top to bottom, all the way from employees in the ticket office to the first team. If someone wasn't ambitious and just their to pick up a wage then he instantly got rid of them

He has a certain ethos he sticks by. Got a mate who is a Norwich supporter and when he became manager there he had a clear out from top to bottom, all the way from employees in the ticket office to the first team. If someone wasn't ambitious and just their to pick up a wage then he instantly got rid of them

That ethos worked well for another young Scottish manager as well.... *i'm obviously not talking about Alan Irvine* 

Has Gardner only just come back from a serious injury?

Has he played many games at all before he came here? In the Villa reserves or anything?

Had a number of bad injuries but has quality when fit. Seems he's been fit for a while just not had a look in recently at Villa.

Afobe and him are very good friends and Wickham also seems to hold him in high regard. I do like what Stuart Gray is doing and bringing in Under 21 internationals or guys who know of each other.

Hopefully we can get Wickham back to complete the trio. Certainly looks a nice set up on paper.

Guest wilyfox

Let's hope he makes a decent contribution. On paper, Gardner in for McPhail makes sense. He simply can't go box to box anymore. We've had only one goal since August from central midfield, so hopefully Gardner can add to that.

Anyone reckon they can guess Gray's thinking here. We know that Gardner isn't a replacement for Semedo, as the manager has said that he was looking to bring him in before the injury to Semedo. Anyway, he's a totally different player, more of an attacking midfield player. Interesting that, with the budget tight, we still went ahead with this signing, even after Semedo's unfortunate injury. Does this mean that the manager has another defensive midfielder lined up, or does he envisage someone like Coke, Helan or even Buxton for that role? Whomever he chooses, it looks to me that his favoured system will be 4-5-1, as he also needs to get Lee in there somewhere. With Maguire, Antonio, JJ, Maghoma and maybe Helan all vying for the 2 wide slots, that's an embarrassment of riches in midfield. So with only 3 relatively inexperienced forwards at his disposal, it makes sense to go with just one up. Obviously, it will occasionally change but for the most I think we'll play only one striker.

Comments on Gardner from readers of the "Birmingham Mail":

would have preferred Lambert to give him a regular 15-20minutes for us. Be an improvement on some of our midfielders on present form, plus he would get used to premiership football rather than turning out for a struggling championship team. I suppose it could be said that it is better than sitting on the bench throughout every game

Still young and worth another 3 year contract to see if he can become a regular first team player. Lots of skill and could be a Villa player for the future. Not rocket science Lambert!

The only logical reason I could see that Ashley Westwood, Karim El Ahmadi and Yacouba Sylla are able to keep Gardner out of the team is due to a lack of match fitness, as those 3 have been rubbish. I really want to see Gardner getting a shot in the team and hope that this loan, will mirror the short loan Albrighton went out on, before he was again included in the squad.

I hope he does well at Sheffield wednesday. For me he was a better player befor his injury than any of the above 4 mentioned . Look what happened when Gary Cahill and Craig Gardner were deemed not good enough for Villa. Cahill always puts a good shift in for Chelsea. I think Craig is out of the Sundeland team at present but when he was playing he was better than the above 4 mentioned

Agree with Everyone, KEH must have something over Lambert ... for me he overtakes Alan Hutton as worst player ever to pull on a Villa shirt.

Lambert seems to have an aversion to any type of creative player in Midfield. Marc Albrighton has created more chances in a game and a half than the rest of the midfield have all year but I still suspect Lambert would rather play KEH. The mans a buffoon and needs to go.

I've got to go and lie down in a dark room for a while!