Sorry to post something sensible on Owlstalk but ...

For all those “Milan get the cheque book out”, “we need a Chinese/Arab/Japanese/Martian billionaire” posters, please consider the following FACTS before you write:

Wages

·         Our wage budget is currently running at 80% of turnover, which is considered dangerously unsustainable by most business experts*.  For this reason, and to protect smaller clubs from over-extending themselves in L1 and L2, FFP in these divisions is set at 60% of turnover.

·         So far from being “tight” and unwilling to spend money, the club is actually spending all it possibly can on wages for a competitive playing squad.  In fact you could argue its spending too much.

·         If we were suddenly to invest in a few more players our wage budget would go well over what we can sustainably afford and risk the future of the club.

Losses

·         We are currently making losses of £5million a season, which Milan is currently covering.  So far from being “tight” and unwilling to spend money he is keeping us going.

·         Under FFP rules in the Championship no club is allowed to make losses of more than £8million per season without incurring a fine or points deduction.  Leicester have a very rich board who have openly said they want to spend more money on players but can’t because of these rules, only those with parachute payments have really spent millions of players this season.

·         So people should really consider how we don’t have a lot of leeway when you consider a transfer fee, signing on fee and salary to sign the kind of player we would all like to see without going over this £8million figure.

Investment is no guarantee

·         Spending lots of money on one or two players is a highly risky strategy, they could get injured or not settle in the area and they we wouldn’t be able to recoup the money. 

·         If money guaranteed success Wolves would not have gone down last season and Leicester would have gone up.  We would also have gone up in 2010/11 when Irvine bought Madine and a whole new back four in January for a fair whack.

·         A study by Simon Kuper and Stefan Szymanski has demonstrated how wage budget is the biggest determining factor on how well a club does, not money spent on transfer fees and as noted there isn’t much leeway to safely increase our wage budget.

And most importantly ...

We’ve tried this before

·         Our fans were quite board and frustrated with lower-midtable Premiership finishes, so Dave Richards loosened the purse strings.  We picked up two big bosmans from Celtic on lucrative long term contracts and bought a deadly Belgian/Dutch strike duo as well as a Dutch playmaker who had appeared in the World Cup.

·         Not sure if you remember but it went spectacularly well we got into Europe and stayed there, it certainly didn’t lead to ten years of terminal decline, misery and debt, debt, debt.

* Before people ask how do I know this.  We’re a Ltd company so all of the info is in the public domain. An accountant friend of mine who assesses businesses’ books for a living went through Wednesday accounts the other week and came away quite scared.

Guest davet30

Investment is no guarantee  

................ Dave Richards loosened the purse strings.  .................... it went spectacularly well we got into Europe and stayed there, it certainly didn’t lead to ten years of terminal decline, misery and debt, debt, debt.

Interesting post on the whole but ...... isn't this contradictory?

Guest Lawrie Maddens Hump

Brilliant that put's it all into PERSPECTIVE.

But, you wont stop the 'consumer generation' (who want every thing immediately) demanding!

We'res the sense in that ?

Where's the spelling in that?

Seriously though, which bit is incorrect and doesn't make sense.  Now you've learned a little bit more about FFP, our wage budget etc don't you see the position Milan is in a little bit more?

"As soon as a regular football fan starts looking into the finances of the game and how it is run, then you can expect to lose your love of the game very quickly.  I like watching any matches and see my team do well, but the boardroom is no place for fans."

I understand the sentiment, but that's the world we live in now, so I don't see how we have any choice but to understand what's going on financially around the club if we're to appreciate who is playing on the field and why.  In some ways it can actually enhance your enjoyment of the game, realising all of the in built advantages that QPR have got over us made more of us satisfied with what was a decent show against them on Saturday.

"As soon as a regular football fan starts looking into the finances of the game and how it is run, then you can expect to lose your love of the game very quickly.  I like watching any matches and see my team do well, but the boardroom is no place for fans."

Unless you are Wednesdayite that is...

Beloved Aunt - don't come on here with your facts and reasoning. It simply won't wash. The facts are:

• Gary Madine is the anti-christ
  • Anyone that is not Dave Allen and has money is the answer
  • Billy Sharp will sign for us and score 30 goals propelling us to the big time
  • In a lock up garage in Penistone someone has cloned David Hirst ready for our return to the premiership
  • Pyromania is the answer to most problems

Always seems to amaze me how some people are into football, go to games but don't seem to take any interest in all the wider things going on around the club and the game

IMHO I believe most either don't care or don't care to find out. Not that I am in any way judging anyone for that. I just think it's the reality. Whether the same people should be posting their demands from a position of ignorance is another matter and I suspect the crux of your argument.

*edit* so when's Billy Blunt signing?

Edited by themaskedowl